Thread: oatmeal - make your own?

Default oatmeal - make your own?

I would like to start making my own oatmeal rather than buying the premade stuff in the store. They never have the kind I want and when I do stock up on it, I get tired of the favor. Any good receipes and points on making oatmeal at home?
    " I'm only this far and only tomorrow leads my way... "

~ Dave Matthews Band - Song 41

Default Re: oatmeal - make your own?

I just bumped this thread in the Breakfast forum for you
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Start with 1/2 cup of oats...then get creative...

Apple Cinnamon: Add chopped apple or a few teaspoons of natural, unsweetened applesauce to oatmeal and cook. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Maple & Brown SugarUse sugar-free pancake syrup and a dash of cinnamon or artificial brown sugar replacement by Sugar Twin that is now available. Fruit & Cream: Add a little milk or vanilla protein powder and a few strawberries, blueberries, peaches, or a teaspoon of sugar free preserves. Maple Walnut:Add 1 tbsp sugar-free pancake syrup and a few chopped walnuts. French Vanilla:Add 1 tsp vanilla, a splash of low-fat milk, and a packet of artificial sweetener. Cinnamon Raisin:Try using a few dashes of cinnamon, a splash of sugar-free maple syrup and a teaspoon of raisins. Protein Boost:Stir in 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder. Butter Pecan:Add a splash of imitation butter flavor, teaspoon of Promise fat-free butter replacement or a few dashes of Butter Buds and a teaspoon of chopped pecans. Other Grains:Try a multi-grain hot cereal, 5 or 7-grain hot cereal, oat bran, or get even fancier and splurge on some imported McCann Steel Cut Oatmeal for a little change of pace when you are bored with regular oatmeal. Any of the flavor varieties listed above work well with these complex carbohydrate hot cereals.
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!

i use 1/2 cup otas, 2 tbl raisins, 1 cup water. nuke for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. add cinnamon, brown sugar substitute and vanilla. it is 3 points.
    ANOTHER goos one is cook the poats and water then add vanilla and strawberries. YUM
    Kim in NJ
    lifer since Jan 2000
    187.8/???/144
    start/current/goal/

Easter Challenge: 20 pounds lost (20 to go)
    We need to change. Do it today. I can feel my spirit rising.
    What have you done today to make you feel proud?

Replies

My new fave this week is steel cut oats, with a few craisens, some almond extract, and cinnamon in it. Add a drizzle of sf syrup after cooking.

6. Smile Re: oatmeal - make your own?

I buy organic rolled oats from a large farmer's market - get them for about 1.00 per quart container. I prepare them as KimmieP suggested - 1/2 cup oats to about 1 cup water, nuked for 2 minutes - you can adjust the amount of water to get them thicker or thinner, as you prefer.

Part of my "water" is actually DaVinci Vanilla sugar-free syrup; then when I remove the bowl from the microwave, I add dried cranberries, and usually one or two points in walnuts.

Depending on how many points I'll need for the rest of the day (planning to go out to lunch or dinner) I will adjust the ingredients to give me from 3 to 7 points.
    Rose

HW:175
    WW Goal: 136
    Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006
    Personal Goal: 118-123
    CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)
    BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
    Wayne Dyer

Replies

I love oatmeal. I try to save 2 points for late night and then sometimes have a bowl of oatmeal before going to bed. I use the Quaker Quick Oats. 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup of water, some maple extract, splenda and a dash of salt. I sometimes add cinnamon, and if I've got the extra point I'll use a bit of Smart Balance spread. YUM.....
    I just read a recipe on the Healthy Girl site for oatmeal with added pumpkin and Fiber One cereal, reddi whip and Almond Breeze. The recipe sounded good, but too much work for me early in the morning when I'm rushing to get ready for work. Maybe I'll try it over the weekend, instead of my usual egg beater's french toast.

My faaavorite is Baked Pennsylvania Dutch Oatmeal.
    Even my oatmeal-hating family loves it as much as I do.

There are a few different baked oatmeal recipes, both in breakfast foods and core recipes. You could do a search if you are interested.
    VANESSA
    274/248.5/under 150
    Size 26/20/8ish
    1/4/08: -10
    2/1/08: -8.5
    3/7/08: -0
    4/4/08: -4.5
    5/2/08: -4

9. Default Re: oatmeal - make your own?

How about homemade granola? I just made some and I love it. I used steel cut oats that are I think 89c/lb and maple syrup and some healthy nuts and dried fruits (walnuts, raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds) I had on hand. HTH!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...SCZ/weight.png

Recommitted 28 August, 2008
    HW 212.5/SW 209/CW 209/MiniGW 205
    BMI: 34.8

Weigh in:
    09/04/08: