Thread: Fiber Question

Default Fiber Question

If additional fiber is added or mixed with a dish do you count it when calculating the points? For instance, I make a chili and add powdered fiber to it while cooking. Thank you.

Replies

Default Re: Fiber Question

It is not recommended to add a fiber powder to lower points of a dish. That being said.. usually chili is SO high in fiber anyway.. why would you want to increase???
    Jackie ~SW: 160/CW:155/GW: 130

Replies

That's what brought about the fiber cap. People were adding fiber to all sorts of things, like ice cream, to artificially lower the points value and then not losing weight, or gaining, by doing so.
    ~Kristi~

Replies

You can add the fiber but you still can't count more than 4 grs of it!

Even if you don't count it, you will still get the benefits. Fiber is sooooo good for you but not if you are using it to try and lower your points.
    SW.....220
    CW.....154
    GW.....155
    PGW...150

life is short---live it to the fullest!

Replies

Isn't it funny though how WW says you shouldn't add the fiber powder, but that is EACTLY what they do to make 1 point yogurt, cheeses and reduce the points of other foods as well?

I am a fiber freak. I say eat it...and lots of it, but follow the 4 point fiber cap rule, and get your fiber from whole grain breads, cereals, pastas, fruits and veggies. Not from a jar. As I type this , I have a little baggie of fiber one cereal that I munch on...

6. Default Re: Fiber Question

Quote Originally Posted by chefbna View Post
    Isn't it funny though how WW says you shouldn't add the fiber powder, but that is EACTLY what they do to make 1 point yogurt, cheeses and reduce the points of other foods as well?

I am a fiber freak. I say eat it...and lots of it, but follow the 4 point fiber cap rule, and get your fiber from whole grain breads, cereals, pastas, fruits and veggies. Not from a jar. As I type this , I have a little baggie of fiber one cereal that I munch on...
    Yes, that is exactly what they do! They have added the fiber to get low points - I keep thinking someone is going to bring it up at a meeting

But I also agree it is so good for you - and anyone who is not getting enough should be adding it in some way.
    Rose

HW:175
    WW Goal: 136
    Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006
    Personal Goal: 118-123
    CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)
    BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
    Wayne Dyer

Replies

Add it but don't count it to lower the points. The calories are still the same, even if you aren't counting them your body does.
    Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.