Thread: Return to Flex - needing help with points

1. Default Return to Flex - needing help with points

I used to be on flex when I was in high school, and now almost 10 years later, and much thinner than I used to be, I have returned to "drop those last few pounds". I've been trying to be pretty strict, however I'm not sure if I'm overcounting/undercounting. I'm just really frustrated right now because I started Flex a week ago, and though it's about that time of month, I have actually GAINED 2lb! And I am not eating as enjoyable/as much food as before! So, please help me...

I'm 5'4 and currently 146lb so I believe that I get between 21-23 depending on my level of activity.

My questions are mostly about produce.

I have been counting most fruit (1 med banana, 1 med apple, 1 med orange, etc) to be 1 point a piece. Is that correct?

Also, can it be generally assumed that vegetables are all worth 0 points? Does this include things like squash/zucchini/eggplant? I assume corn and potatoes have points because they are starches.

I end up putting lots of little 0.5's on my record because i feel like everything has a little points 0 - for example: 1 tbsp Ketchup; 1 tbsp FF half-and-half in my coffee; 1 egg white (I know 3 egg whites are 1 point, but does that mean 1 egg white is 0 points?). Should I be counting these things or not? I'm not starving all the time, but I definitely do get hungry. I am a med student doing surgery right now and being up at 5am is really throwing me off as far as eating schedules!

Here's my pretty typical menu:

BREAKFAST:
    Thomas Light Multi-Grain English Muffin (1.5)
    Trader Joe's Breakfast Pattiy (1)
    1 Egg White (0.5)
    1 Tbsp Ketchup (0.5)
    Coffee with FF Half-half (0.5)

LUNCH:
    2 Slices Deli-sliced Roast Beef (3)
    1 slice WW seedless rye bread (0.5)
    1 Tbsp Trader Joe's Hummus (0.5)
    1 serving WW 0-pt soup (0)

DINNER:
    varies - usually a meat/fish/chicken with a serving of starch (1/2 cup brown rice/pasta/potato) and always a salad with FF Italian dressing

SNACKS

Orange (1)
    Apple (1)
    Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt (1)
    1/2 Trader Joe's Bran Muffin (1.5)
    Curves Granola Bar (1.5)

So, you can see it's easy for me to accumulate my 21 points. Is there anything in my list that's wrong or should be less/more of? Anything that you think is a "waste" and can be substituted with something to keep me fuller?

I know that's a lot of questions but if someone with experience can help me out a little, I'd appreciate greatly!

Replies

Default Re: Return to Flex - needing help with points

It's very likely that you are not eating enough.
    Here is the new quiz for points

Your Personal Daily POINTS Target

1 Are you:
    Female? .......... Score 2
    Male? .......... Score 8
    A nursing mom*? .......... Score 12

2 How old are you?
    17** - 26 .......... Score 4
    27 - 37 ..........Score 3
    38 -47 .......... Score 2
    48 - 58 .......... Score 1
    Over 58 .......... Score 0

3 What do you weigh?
    Enter the first 2 digits of your weight in pounds.
    For example, if you weigh 175, enter 17. If you weigh less than 100 pounds, enter the first digit of your weight in pounds, i.e. for 98, enter 98.

4 How tall are you?
    Under 5'1" .......... Score 0
    5'1" to 5'10" .......... Score 1
    Over 5'10" .......... Score 2

5 Do you spend most of your day:
    Siting down? .......... Score 0
    (e.g. as a receptionist, bus driver, cab driver)
    Occasionally sitting, but mainly standing? .......... Score 2
    (e.g. sales person, housewife, cook, teacher)
    Walking most of the time? .......... Score 4
    (e.g. waiter, mailman)
    Doing physically hard work most of the time? .......... Score 6
    (e.g. nurse, gardener, construction worker)

The total is your daily POINTS Target***

* Nursing moms, please see your Leader of Receptionist for more information.
    ** You people under 17, please see your Leader or Receptionist for more information about your daily POINTS Target.
    *** If your total is less than 18, your daily POINTS Target is 18; if your total is more than 44, your daily POINTS Target is 44.
    *** Retake this quiz as your weight goes down, as you get older or if you change the way you spend your day.

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

Replies

I agree with CW. You are really eating at a minimal level.

I'd just add that that Quiz just sets your Target Points and those are just the beginning. They are the absolute minimum you should be eating. There is also the weekly points allowance, and you should use that. And if you are active / exercise then there are activity points, and you should use those too. My Target is 20 and it is rare that I eat less than 25 Points. Often I'm up around 30. And yes, it's all On Program.

I would not count a full half point for the amount of ketchup or ff half and half you are using. You may find that you can just count zero for those small amounts. Some people count 1 for every 5 or 6 of them, but I don't bother.

It might not hurt to get a refresher course in the basics and a new set of WW materials by attending a WW meeting or two. If you still have your old ones, dig them out .. there will be a basic list of Points for fruits and veggies in there.

Welcome back!
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies

I would also recommend getting out your Points Finder. Some of the things you are counting are really freebies - 1 egg white. Just check the product info on fiber, fat and calories according to the finder. I think you need more food and perhaps, your body has switched to starvation mode and is hoarding calories.

You can do this, again. It's just a matter of getting the right info, getting back into the swing and seeing those numbers start going down!

Replies

Hi,

All that they said for sure.
    The fruit is right about 1 pt. each
    If you are hungry try popcorn, nuts, smoothie(fruit), dry cereal(fiberone)
    yogurt ect...
    You probably are eating too little and that is why you are not losing.
    Good Luck
    Colleen

163/142/130
    SW/CW/GW

6. Default Re: Return to Flex - needing help with points

Thanks for the help/comments. I assumed I was staying at my point level and so I was eating enough. How much more should I really be eating? The points calculator says I should be at 23 points most days. I try to save my 35 extra points for the weekend when my boyfriend's corrupt ways get to me. And if i go to the gym, then I have an extra granola bar or apple beforehand to keep me full.

Replies

I'm thinking that you need the 23 plus activity points and spread out some of thos WPA's. Get a better measure of what points you are really eating and tell your boyfriend to help instead of hurt your efforts.
    CW
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124