Thread: silly question

Question silly question

Hey guys, I just had a silly question about popcorn tonight. So I was making popcorn tonight with my air popper, and wondered how on earth does one measure the popcorn once it is popped. I know the guide says to measure it for 3 cups is one point, but how do you do that once it is all done? It seems kinda clumsy to take measuring cups to it. It does not fit in there very good and it gets cold also. How do you guys do this? I prefer not to buy microwave popcorn as I find it to be really salty. Do you have any advice on how to measure it, should I measure it by weight before I pop it?

Also was thinking that my air popper was not working that great, I think it is the really dry air up here, so only half of my kernels popped. I have tried it a number of times and still only half ever seems to pop. How does everyone else make popcorn, ever use the stove and know a way to make it without using too much oil?

Thanks in advance to responding to my q!

Default Re: silly question

for convenience sake I often have the 100 calorie 1 point minibags
    BUT
    I agree that it just doesn't taste as natural as the real thing!

SO - I usually make 2 servings at once (one for me and one for DBF)
    I measure the kernels (unpopped) - and use the Nutritional info on the container for points calculation.
    (i think it's like 30 grams = 1 pt) so get out he ole scale and measure it up!
    Then for each serving I use about a teaspoon or so of oil, or if I have the points for it, i'll do 1 TBL for 2 batches.

SO -
    1) take a large pot with a heavy bottom - don't use a thin bottomed pan.
    Pour your oil into the center, put it on a medium heat.
    2) Dump your premeasured popcorn kernels into the pot and roll them around so they get covered with oil.
    3) Cover with a lid, BUT tilt the lid so the steam can escape - this is important! if you don't do this it won't pop right.
    4) as corn pops, grab the pot and lid and give it a good shake every so often

This usually works for me!
    I know sometimes if my popcorn is sorta old it doesn't pop right - maybe you need to start with a fresh bag?

N

Nan-see

Friday is WI!

Thanks Nan-see, I really appreciate it. I will try making it in the pot from now on. I need to invest in a good kitchen scale tho to measure up 30 g of popcorn. I'm a student so does anyone know of any reasonably priced kitchen scales out there? And what kind exactly to buy.
    TIA!

Replies

I pop my corn like Nan-see. It's how I get my 2 oils. I heat 2 tsp of oil and 3 T of kernels. That is 3 points. Obviously the point will go up if you add butter but that makes a large, one-serving size.
    Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217
    CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Quote Originally Posted by glittergal View Post
    I need to invest in a good kitchen scale tho to measure up 30 g of popcorn. I'm a student so does anyone know of any reasonably priced kitchen scales out there? And what kind exactly to buy.
    TIA!
    Look for a digital scale with both ounce and gram measurements, and a display large enough to read.

I personally don't care for my WW scale because the display is difficult to read (too small and dark - wish it had a backlight). And I'm 36, so it's not like my age is the reason! LOL

Also, I don't like that the WW scale has a fixed "plate" on it; too difficult to clean. When something splatters (or if it just collects dust) there is very little room to get between the base and the "plate" to clean it. I too am in the market for a BETTER scale...the WW scale just sucks IMO.
    "Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Shyjade View Post
    I personally don't care for my WW scale because the display is difficult to read (too small and dark - wish it had a backlight). And I'm 36, so it's not like my age is the reason! LOL

Also, I don't like that the WW scale has a fixed "plate" on it; too difficult to clean. When something splatters (or if it just collects dust) there is very little room to get between the base and the "plate" to clean it. I too am in the market for a BETTER scale...the WW scale just sucks IMO.

Is this the latest version they sell at the meetings? We were interested in purchasing this one....

I have the one they used to sell before this one...its actually really nice but doesnt give you the points only weighs the food which is fine with me.
    Fatima AKA Smylin_Atcha
    ya ya name: Queen Horny Toad Smurf name: Hootchie Smurfette
    sw:270 cw:190.6 79.4 lbs destroyed:bcbsalute
    Faith is the ability to know u will survive the panic. Rosie O'Donnell

Replies

I have this one ... Polder digital scale. Apparently it is now discontinued and if you can find it you can get it for around $25 plus tax & shipping. Weighs to 1/8 oz. or 1 gram. Has "tare" feature so you can add the plate, hit "tare" to reset to zero, then weigh your food. You can also weigh several ingredients, setting to zero after each one.

There are many similar models out there, I would probably prefer one that lets you provide the plate or bowl.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by smylin_atcha View Post
    Is this the latest version they sell at the meetings? We were interested in purchasing this one....

I have the one they used to sell before this one...its actually really nice but doesnt give you the points only weighs the food which is fine with me.
    Yes, the one that costs around $40? That's the one!
    Honestly, I've never used the scale to figure points, so that feature was a waste for me. I keep my points calculator and WW guides in the kitchen so it's just easier (and I feel more accurate) to calculate the points myself. But that's just my opinion.

I spotted some at Bed Bath & Beyond that look nice, but I need to do more investigating before I buy another scale I don't like.

Here's a silly question...

Does popcorn taste better by cooking it in a pot with oil instead of air popping? (I spritz mine with olive oil spray once out of the popper then sprinkle with taco seasoning because it's too boring when made in the air popper)

There's a bunch of kitchen scales on the Target website in the 20-30 dollar range - I'm sure any of them would be fine! (but definately make sure it does grams AND ounces)

In answer to pot popping vs air popping.....well, airpopping has no added fat - which is good (if you've already got your healthy oils in for the day, or are low on available points to spend on popcorn).

I haven't tried spraying oil on afterwards, for some reason i think it would make the popcorn feel "damp" am I crazy?
    Whatever works for ya!
    N

Nan-see

Friday is WI!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful replies.

I unfortunately need to use the stove to pop mine as something is wrong with air popcorn makers up here I swear, lol. I've been thru 3 of them and they still all do the same thing where only half or less are popped. I just dont have the patience to go digging out all the kernels. But yea the exact same ones I bought for my family work awesome back at home on Vancouver Island. Must be the drier area in the Okanagan Valley.

As for the scales, I dont think it will be worth going to Target for me because I live in Canada so would need to pay for international shipping, etc. But I have been to places like Walmart looking at them and it seems to me that the prices go up in proportion to the amount it will weigh up to. I guess the best solution here for me is to just wait a little bit longer and then buy a nicer one that will weigh more in the end, ie 5kg vs a 3 kg scale, etc. Id like to keep a kitchen scale on my counter, as well as a little mini blender that would do like personal shakes right in the cup so I could make a protein shake in the morning. That would be really cool.

Sorry this is a bit long!

I have my first weigh in this Friday, I'll let you know how I did!

ta ta for now,

Sherise

Quote Originally Posted by nan-see View Post
    I haven't tried spraying oil on afterwards, for some reason i think it would make the popcorn feel "damp" am I crazy?
    You're not crazy, but I got used to it. Just like pouring melted butter onto popcorn makes it a little soggy...but unfortunately oh so tasty!!