Thread: Capping the fiber

Default Capping the fiber

I don't understand. I have been a WW member for 3 years and the fact that you have to cap the fiber on any given food at 4 grams is NOT a new rule!! It is also NOT an old rule!!

If you are following an old plan that allows you to count fiber up to 12 grams, all I can say is "good luck". With the amount of fiber added to a significant number of foods today, you can probably eat 2,3 or 4 times the points value you should by not capping the fiber at 4 g. That is precisely why WW began capping the fiber grams. There would be so many foods with zero points that we could all go crazy.

I'm not sure about the newer points calculators (the calculators you buy at WW centers), but my older one does not cap the fiber grams--you have to do it yourself. But this is not a new concept. Go to one of the on-line WW points calculators. They all cap the fiber grams at 4.

I don't mean to sound angry, but I guess I am a little bit mad. It seems like lots of our buddies out there are trying to follow the WW plan with very little information or incorrect information. I guess all I can say is that you need to go to at least one meeting and get the initial information and handouts. You also need to listen to the leader explain the two plans available to you.

There is a reason why WW's is always improving their plans. Do a little investigating and see what the plan looked like 20 years ago. Trust me, you WOULD NOT want to follow that plan!!! You had to eat fish at least 5 times per week and liver at least once a week. YUK!!! The new plans give us such unlimited choices in our food choices that it's really not difficult to follow the plan. But you have to follow one plan and one plan only.

Knowledge is power--but I truely feel that some of the BCB's out there are working on very limited knowledge.

ginnyb
    "The only one who can stop me is me---and I can take her!"

ginnyb (aka loves2cook!) "It's not the falling down, it's the staying down!!"

Replies

Default Re: Capping the fiber

Ginny ... that was 30+ years ago (up through the mid 1970s)... time flies when you're having fun.. by 1988 the plan was starting to look pretty reasonable. But still, point made...

Points came out in 1998 and the fiber cap came out no more than 2 years later. If you're not using the fiber cap you are on a REALLY old version of WW and you better use that plans AP calculation too (1 AP for each 20 min. AFTER the first 20 min., not the more generous formula we have now), and its Points ranges, and the rest of that plan.

If you are following the Google version of WW you are going to be sifting through a lot of old information and misinformation. You are worth the time and effort to attend a few WW meetings and get current materials.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Well, don't be angry with newbies like me. I suspect my leader didn't point this fact out clearly enough. Oh well... Also there is only one mention of this rule in the Eat Wisely booklet that I can see... Little too obscure I think.
    MO#83

Replies

Hey Mike, at least you are a WW member and have a leader. That's hardly the "google" version of WW. There's a lot of material to cover in the intro. meeting and the info. is also on the slider (and apparently in the calculator. (I don't have a calculator, I use the slider.) A little confusion is normal at first!
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!

If you are following an old plan that allows you to count fiber up to 12 grams, all I can say is "good luck". With the amount of fiber added to a significant number of foods today, you can probably eat 2,3 or 4 times the points value you should by not capping the fiber at 4 g. That is precisely why WW began capping the fiber grams. There would be so many foods with zero points that we could all go crazy.

I actually was on 123 success and my fiber counter went to 12 I actually lost all of my weight this way back in 2000.
    My Joys in Life
    Sophia Katherine 5/21/04
    Nicholas Robert 11/30/06
    & 2 Angels
    LIFETIME May 2000
    My Current Weight 139.5
    My goal-125

I was on the old plan and our leader then (and he is still a leader now) would always stress the fact that you shouldn't eat foods just because it was high in fiber. He brought in some high fiber boxes of cereal and pointed out that if you take the fiber out of the equation, the calories and fat would almost double the points. He used to laugh about people who would use fiber-high cereal as a topping on ice cream! Great fun.
    Mary Lynn
    SW: 294
    CW: 270.2
    VD Goal: 265
    FG: 140

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Well, don't be angry with newbies like me. I suspect my leader didn't point this fact out clearly enough. Oh well... Also there is only one mention of this rule in the Eat Wisely booklet that I can see... Little too obscure I think.
    The slider only goes to 4g of fiber. That should be your first clue.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by shellys View Post
    I actually was on 123 success and my fiber counter went to 12 I actually lost all of my weight this way back in 2000.
    I lost some of my weight on this too, but I never went overboard with the fiber so I was surprised when they added the fiber cap. But it makes sense because it corrected the only major abuse of the Points system. I still have at least one slider from back then. We did have a man in our class that found a vegetarian chili he claimed was 0 Points for the entire can! Our leader told him to count a point for it. I switched so I could use the new Activity Points calculations. I figure if you take one part of the changes you have to take them all. I didn't like losing 2 Points off the top of the range either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlj1954 View Post
    He used to laugh about people who would use fiber-high cereal as a topping on ice cream!
    Ah yes. "Bran and Jerry's." If you mixed in enough Fiber One you cold lower the Points of the ice cream. And then wonder why you don't lose weight.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    My pictures!

Nancy- Like you I never "abused" the fiber but I was nice to eat certainc ereals that are healthy for not alot of points.. I also used to eat the "chili" for 1 pts for a serving..

I do rememeber People here going nuts to find cookies and other foods w/ high fiber just so they can have more..

Hey whatever it was it def worked for alot of people
    My Joys in Life
    Sophia Katherine 5/21/04
    Nicholas Robert 11/30/06
    & 2 Angels
    LIFETIME May 2000
    My Current Weight 139.5
    My goal-125

10. Cool Re: Capping the fiber

Mike
    Good luck! Maggie

11. Default Re: Capping the fiber

[quote=Maggie1964;1455092]Mike
    Please dont get frustrated by the answers you have gotten...this site is to get answers and share what you learn. So many higher caloric foods are adding fiber so this keeps you on track. I was confused at first and they do tell you things, and the books say things but it takes a while to absorb everything as you are changing your foods, measuring, weighing in...etc Dont be afraid to ask more questions some people must be answering in low blood sugar. You dont have to be a brain surgeon to understand this program but you do need time to absorb it and have it all make sense. Good luck! Maggie

Eating is not an activity...eat to live

What was the reason for the old plan requiring eating liver once a week?! Yuck!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
    What was the reason for the old plan requiring eating liver once a week?! Yuck!
    The original WW plans were designed to guarantee that you would get all of the nutrients you need (as far as they knew at the time) in 1000-1200 calories per day (slightly more for men), without supplements. They were VERY structured, very few options. As they become more flexible, they had to give up this guarantee and started recommending a multivitamin as a safety net. (If you follow the healthy 8s and eat a wide variety of foods, you will probably be OK, but there is no guarantee.)

Liver was in there to make sure you got your iron.

The original WW plans were also the original "diet is die with a t" diets. We can cite lots of reasons for that!

But there wouldn't have been a fiber issue. The original WW programs were very low in fiber. Fruit and veggies were about it, we were not allowed to have whole grains or beans / legumes.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    My pictures!

The WW calculator does NOT cap the fiber out at 4 grams, which was an error I made for a long time by wrongly assuming the calculator, which is sold by WW, would do the capping for me. Oops! I own 2 of them, and neither caps the fiber at 4 (I bought the 2nd calculator 2 months ago and the first one back in early 2007).

Thanks to a fellow buddy who suggested this was the reason I came up with a lower point value on a Healthy Choice meal than the box indicated, I was able to get to the bottom of it and found my error.

I guess it comes down to we all need to be accountable to ourselves when it comes to learning all we can about the program. The materials are there for a reason...as are the meetings and leaders...and online tools...to EDUCATE and SUPPORT us.
    "Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

Replies

I for one was guilty of not capping the fiber at 4 until I read this thread a while ago. In fact I took one of the new sliders and cut and relabeled to 12 for fiber. I figured that since I lost weight on the 123 success plan, then it should work again. I never thought about the evolution of the program and taking all of the changes that went with it. A lot of what was said here made sense.
    Our goals are only a decision away. cw:122