Thread: Ramon noodle point question please help

1. Default Ramon noodle point question please help

I am addicted to ramon noodle soup i know the soup with the noodles is 4 points but i just eat the broth and i was wondering what the point value on something to that nature would be or how you would figure this up?

Replies

Default Re: Ramon noodle point question please help

Hmmm... this is an interesting question, and I am interested to see what others will say...

First, I don't have a package handy, but looking at the nutritionals online, I think there are two servings in one package of Ramen Noodles - making the points for the package 7 or 8 rather than 4.... Then, since you are not eating the noodles, and the noodles would account for a large number of calories, I would point the package of broth at 4 points. As long as you are not eating several packages a day, you would only be off by 1 or 2 points max, which - depending on how many packages you eat a week - wouldn't make or break anything.

You might want to consider finding an alternative, though - 'cause it is super-high in sodium, and pretty high in points for just broth. Or, at least try to avoid it prior to weigh-in.

That's how I would approach it anyways...
    --J

SW 258
    CW - ??? - Day 1 back OP
    PGR 132-138

3. Default Re: Ramon noodle point question please help

Well what i was thinking was since it doesnt have any fiber do u equate that into the point scale as 0 fiber im just a confused man lol

Replies

Yes, if fiber is not listed on the label, I'd assume there was none.
    --J

SW 258
    CW - ??? - Day 1 back OP
    PGR 132-138

mochalattekona Guest

I happen to have one at my desk.

Maruchan Ramen noodles
    serving size 1/2 block of noodles w/ seasoning
    (2 servings per container)
    Cal-190
    Fat 7g
    fiber 1

Comes out to 4 points per serving. If You eat the whole kit & kaboodle it will set you back 8 points.

mochalattekona Guest

also.... the sodium is 1640 for the whole bag. OUCHIE@!!

Aren't ramen noodles deep fried before drying? TONS of oily fat inside...
    MO#83

Replies

Ramen is cheap and easy to make. At 4 Points a serving it's probably a pretty good bargain, much like any other pasta. Fat is not necessarily the enemy! Fat helps you feel satisfied and you need to have some.

Just remember that it's 2 servings to a package!
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

I found this info on a web site for ramen noodles. I REALLY think you could make a better choice if all you're looking for is a tasty broth. I suggest the Progresso soups that are 1 point for the whole can (zero pts. per serving). There are lots of flavors and you will get a lot less sodium with these. Just my 2 cents worth!!
    ginnyb

Health concerns

Ramen and similar products are often criticized as being unhealthy or junk food. A single serving of instant noodles is high in carbohydrates but low in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Noodles are typically fried as part of the manufacturing process, resulting in high levels of saturated fat and/or trans fat. Additionally, if served in an instant broth, it typically contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) as well as a high amount of sodium, usually in excess of 60% the U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance (1,200-1,440 mg). Some brands may have over 3,000 mg of sodium in extreme cases.

While many processed convenience foods leave much to be desired nutritionally, the particular concern over ramen is a response to its use as a dietary staple for many Americans. College students in particular consume large amounts of instant noodles; the wide availability, very low cost (10 per package, in the case of Wal-Mart's store brand), ease and speed of preparation, and portability of the product make it appealing to young adults with little money and/or time to spare. A popular college urban legend states that a student gave himself scurvy by living on nothing but ramen for an entire year.

The most recent controversy concerns dioxin and other hormone-like substances that could theoretically be extracted from the packaging and glues used to pack the instant noodles. As hot water is added, it was reasoned that harmful substances could seep into the soup. After a series of studies were conducted, various organizations requested changes in the packaging.

Another major concern on the health drawback of consuming the instant noodles is that the products can be manufactured with oxidized fat and oils if the process is not better managed. Oxidized fat and oils are health hazard substances which induce neurotoxins and which make neurocells hypoactive.
    "The only one who can stop me is me---and I can take her!"

ginnyb (aka loves2cook!) "It's not the falling down, it's the staying down!!"

Replies

For what it's worth, there's a TON of sodium in Progresso soups, including light soups. The following site has the product information for the Progresso soups; click on the name of the product and you'll get the nutrition information. The Light Vegetable and Rice, for example, has 850 mg of sodium per HALF can, so that's 1700 mg per entire can -- comparable to Ramen. All of the light soups have at least 740 mg per half can (the Veg Barley is the least, at 740 - all the others are at least 800). The Light Veg & Rice also has MSG (all the light soups, except the Vegetable Barley, do).

http://www.generalmills.com/corporat...t.aspx?start=P

The sodium in the ramen broth can be adjusted by not using all the seasoning - use half the packet, for example. It's disappointing, really, but most canned soups have high levels of sodium -- even the reduced sodium ones come in at about 15-20% of the recommended daily allowance.