Thread: Points for cooking wine?

Question Points for cooking wine?

I have a roast recipe that uses 1 cup of cooking wine. The roast and vegetables basically cook in the wine (and juices from the meat and vegetables) in a somewhat covered (but not sealed) roasting pan for 2-3 hours at 350 F. As a teetotaler, I've always assumed that the alcohol burns off. I'm wondering how to count the points for it - do I count it like non-alcoholic wine or like alcoholic wine?
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Replies

Default Re: Points for cooking wine?

I would count it as a regular wine- usually cooking wine just has salt added to it so the cooks in "the old days" wouldn't drink while they were cooking, lol .

To be honest, from a culinary stand point, I would use a decent wine you would want to drink because the flavor will concentrate, and cooking wines SUCK- and you're still spending all the points on the stuff, so you might as well make it taste good. Also, not all the alcohol will cook off, usually 5-40% is still in your food depending on the means you've cooked it with (ie a saute will have less alcohol than a covered braise in the oven). Hope that helps!

Happy cooking!

Edit: I just found out what a teetotaler was- sorry!... I don't think using a non alcoholic wine would hurt either (though it doesn't tenderize meat as much because it doesn't have the alcohol in it), but if you were going to use an alcoholic wine, there would still be some alcohol left over regardless of whether it is cooking wine or table wine.
    Chrystal
    HW:256.8/cw:244/GW:size 8-10- whatever that is

Thanks, lolap. Actually, for the recipe I am using it for, the cooking wine is just fine (it's an old family recipe that I've been making for at least 25 years, but not since I started WW) - and I agree: I don't think the non-alcoholic wine would be the same in terms of tenderizing.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135

The WW Points Tracker lists points for various wines and cooking wines, but not for any wines that have been cooked. I'm thinking that indicates you should use the points for wine before it has been cooked even though you are losing much of the alcohol. That would probably be the safest.
    Abby

SW: 285 (1/1/08)
    CW: 179

"Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time."

Quote Originally Posted by mahjong View Post
    The WW Points Tracker lists points for various wines and cooking wines, but not for any wines that have been cooked. I'm thinking that indicates you should use the points for wine before it has been cooked even though you are losing much of the alcohol. That would probably be the safest.
    Yes, that's kind of what I thought, but was hoping to hear otherwise, though why I should care, (since the recipe serves 6-8), it doesn't add much per serving.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135