Thread: eggplant question

Default eggplant question

I am going to make a stir fry of veggies tonight with squash, zuchini and bell peppers. I was also going to put eggplant in it, but i can't seem to find out the points of eggplant. Can anyone help.

2. Default Re: eggplant question

Per WW online's food database, 1 c Eggplant, raw 0 points and 1 c Eggplant, cooked, 0 points.

Default Re: eggplant question

It was the best dinner. I sauteed squash, zuchini red bell pepper and eggplant and mushrooms with 1 tsp. oil and then toward the end I added some of the newmans own fat free sesame ginger dressing. We ate it with steak. Yummy

for dinner i microwaved a japanese eggplant for a minute, scrambled 1 egg and mashed the microwaved eggplant in it. i pan-fried and it taste like meat! yummy!
    HT: 5' 4 1/2"
    CW: 163.2 (11/11/08)
    GW: 120

Mini Goals
    155: Spa Pedicure
    January 2009 Challenge: 147

I've been really wanting to try eggplant - I even printed some recipes of the WW website. Guess I better get brave and try it out one of these days! The stir fry sounds really good.
    RainyBabie

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo!

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

Replies

If you have a grill wok, cube, marinate and grill all those veggies - they are delicious.
    marge
    there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206
    CW: 162.5
    40# 2/5
    HW: 146

Okay I at least purchased the eggplant! You guys got me talked into it! I'll cook it sometime this week and let you know how it goes!
    RainyBabie

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo!

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

Replies

Default Eggplant parmigiana - 3 pts.

Here's a WW recipe for your eggplant:

cooking spray
    1/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
    1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon italian seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 medium raw eggplant
    2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
    1 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
    1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

1. Preheat oven to 350F Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
    2. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a medium-size bowl; set aside. Remove skin from eggplant and trim off ends; slice eggplant into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
    3. Dip eggplant first into egg whites and then into bread crumb mixture. Bake eggplant on a nonstick cookie sheet until lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once.
    4. Place a layer of eggplant on bottom of prepared baking dish, then add 1/3 of tomato sauce and 1/3 of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 2 more layers in same order. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes more. Slice into 4 pieces and serve.
    3 points leaves some room for baking it with FF ricotta (2 pts per 1/2 cup, combined with garlic powder and Italian herbs, eggbeaters (1 pt for 1/4 cup) and spread between layers of eggplant. I would also add some fennel seeds, garlic and Italian herbs in the sauce. I use the fennel seeds to create mirage of having Italian sausage in the sauce. Heck, for 2 points you could have 1 1/2 oz cooked chicken Italian sausage!
    I never peel the eggplant and would leave it on for fiber. I wonder why WW book doesn't give point information and CORE status for raw eggplant. I looked it up on the Generic Food's WW Points and it says 0 points for 1 cup (3 oz) cooked.

marge
    there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206
    CW: 162.5
    40# 2/5
    HW: 146