Thread: points for cereals

Default points for cereals

Are all cereals around 2 points for a cup. i bought organic flax granola cereal with pumpkin and I wanted to know if the points are still the same

Default Re: points for cereals

No, points can vary widely for cereal, especially granola. Use the Nutritional information to calculate points.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Anyone know of any 1 point cereals? I searched the aisle one day and came up with Wheaties - but sometimes I get a little bored with the same breakfast every day!! I do mix it up by adding bananas or different types of fruit or berries...

BTW - most cereals I was finding were at least 3 and granola was usually more!
    RainyBabie

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo!

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

4. Default Re: points for cereals

I love fiber one honey clusters! It is only one point for one cup.

I like the plain puffed wheat. It's only 1 pt. for 1 cup up to 1 1/4 cup depending on which one you get.
    Mama to 4 kiddos!

Quote: I love fiber one honey clusters! It is only one point for one cup.

I went on-line and found this info for the Fiber One Honey Clusters cereal (per cup):

calories: 160
    fat: 1.5 g.
    fiber: 13 g.--cap at 4 g.!!!

Sorry, buddy, but that's 3 points per cup!!! I didn't think a cereal that's that good could be 1 point per cup!! I think you better read the nutritional info again and remember that you have to cap the fiber at 4 g.

ginnyb
    "The only one who can stop me is me---and I can take her!"

ginnyb (aka loves2cook!) "It's not the falling down, it's the staying down!!"

I like Uncle Sam's cereal. It's a bit higher in points (3/4 cup is 3 points) but it's all whole grain and flax and it's really filling. I don't eat 3/4 cup, it's just too much.

calories: 160
    fat: 1.5 g.
    fiber: 13 g.--cap at 4 g.!!!

Sorry, buddy, but that's 3 points per cup!!! I didn't think a cereal that's that good could be 1 point per cup!! I think you better read the nutritional info again and remember that you have to cap the fiber at 4 g.
    she could be doing 123 success points where you count fiber to 12
    My Joys in Life
    Sophia Katherine 5/21/04
    Nicholas Robert 11/30/06
    & 2 Angels
    LIFETIME May 2000
    My Current Weight 139.5
    My goal-125

tinka Guest

You might want to spend 2-3 points and get a cereal with more protein and fiber and most important.............STAYING POWER!

Tinka

Wait a second here... You have to cap the fiber??? Is that an old rule or something (WW seems to have lots of old rules)??

I am in week two and the booklets haven't said anything about capping fiber when calculating points!

EDIT: I just checked the slide rule thingy they gave me and it seems you are right. This begs the question... do the point calculators WW sells cap at 4 g fiber? That is what I have been using lately to figure out point values.

HELP!
    MO#83

Mike, the old points finders went way up on the fiber scale so products with loads of fiber actually had less points. Now with the points finders going up to only 4 for the fiber, it makes a big difference.

Even though there are 1 and 2 point cereals, I find things like the 3 point Fiber One cereals with 1/2 cup of FF milk is really alot more filling than say the puffed kind for me, and it kind of holds me through the morning, especially if I have a big cup of tea or coffee.

I sometimes think people are starting to stare at me in the store - I have the points finder in my hand all the time and am always looking up points values. I pick things up and then sometimes put them right back down again. I guess it's better to be aware than not.

Replies

With any points calculator it's probably safer to cap the fiber yourself... never enter more than 4.

The fiber cap has been in place for eight years now. It's hardly new!

WW has lots of old rules. WW started in the mid 60s and they have been improving the Plan every year or so for the last 40+ years. You don't want to know about the 60s or 70s plans... (yes a few of us were on them and we remember). Points came out in 1998 and the Fiber Cap was added 2 years later.

For best results, you can get a complete, correct, legal, and consistent version of the current WW plan at any WW meeting or by subscribing to WW Online. I recommend it! Once you have them, trust them over any rumors or rules you hear on the Internet.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

I see the point calculator slider thing only goes up to 4g fiber. All clear now. Also, I think they made the calculator fool-proof as my 8g fiber bagels are 5 points either at 4g or 8g. Good to know. I also know I need TONS of fiber but that's me. I lived in China on an extremely low-fiber no whole grain diet for TOO LONG! YUCK~
    MO#83

Good to know the calculator thinks for us!! I started wondering about that with all the discussions here and was scared to check! I'm off to the grocery store in a moment and am glad to know if I forget to only use 4 for the fiber it's smarter than me!
    RainyBabie

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo!

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

Default figuring points without the usual tools

If you are ever without a slider or points calculator, here is way to figure out the points that was shared by a WW leader at one of my meetings:

Fiber: 10 x fiber gram up to 40 (i.e., 10 x 4 grams of fiber = 40; 10 x 10 grams of fiber = 40 . . . the new math)

Fat: 5 x fat gram (i.e., 5 x 4 = 20; 5 x 10 = 50 . . . just doesn't seem fair)

In order to figure out the TOTAL Calorie value to use:

Total calories MINUS FIBER total from above PLUS FAT total from above (i.e., 100 calories - 3 fibers + 3 fat = 100 - 30 + 15 = 85)

25 - 74 = 1 point
    75 - 124 = 2 points
    125 - 174 = 3 points
    175 - 224 = 4 points
    225 - 274 = 5 points
    275 - 324 = 6 points
    325 - 374 = 7 points
    375 - 424 = 8 points
    425 - 474 = 9 points
    475 - 524 = 10 points
    525 - 574 = 11 point
    575 - 624 = 12 points
    625 - 674 = 13 points
    675 - 724 = 14 points
    725 - 774 = 15 points
    Mary Lynn
    SW: 294
    CW: 270.2
    VD Goal: 265
    FG: 140

Replies

Thanks for a way to figure out the points without the tools, Mary Lynne!
    Our goals are only a decision away. cw:122