Thread: How to count ground beef?

Replies

Default How to count ground beef?

I need some help on how to count ground beef. Our beef is home grown, so it is not classified as lean, extra lean, etc. It doesn't have much fat in it and we always cook it well and then rinse it off under water, so there can't be much fat left. I have done some searches for nutritional information, but there are such varying amounts. I was using 70% lean from calorieking, but that seems really high.

I would like to know what nutritional information you would use for this ground beef. I generally make big batches of things, so I am looking for NI by the pound.

Thanks,
    Suzanne

Replies

Default Re: How to count ground beef?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby
    I need some help on how to count ground beef. Our beef is home grown, so it is not classified as lean, extra lean, etc. It doesn't have much fat in it and we always cook it well and then rinse it off under water, so there can't be much fat left. I have done some searches for nutritional information, but there are such varying amounts. I was using 70% lean from calorieking, but that seems really high.

I would like to know what nutritional information you would use for this ground beef. I generally make big batches of things, so I am looking for NI by the pound.

Thanks,
    Suzanne
    Couldn't you ask your butcher what the fat content is? I'm sure he would know. But using 70% seems way too low. The lowest fat content in the store is 80% (that I'm aware of anyway). I'm thinking you are at least in the 90% range with home grown beef.
    Cindi

SW - 215 on 7/27/07
    CW - 141.5
    GW - 150

38 yrs old
    5'7"

Replies

The fat content can depend on what part of the beef was used. Your butcher may know.

Can you try looking it up by part:

According to nutritiondata.com:

ground chuck 80% lean
    ground sirloin 85% lean
    ground round 90% lean

other probably is around 70% lean

I think rinsing is a waste of flavor - it washes away the broth. We give up enough flavor by not using most of the fat.

Another option is to weigh the meat before cooking, say cook up 1 pound for testing. Cook and drain and process it however you're going to, then weigh what's left. If you have around 12 oz. left it's the high-fat stuff. If you have around 15 oz. left then it was the very lean stuff. You can also use the weight and NI for after cooking in your recipe, since that is how you are using it.

Once you have a test batch starting with 1 lb. of meat, those calculations would be "close enough" for your big batch. You wouldn't have to repeat over and over.

Good luck!
    Last edited by nancyny; 12-18-2007 at 02:08 PM.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies

Thanks for the replies. I also asked my WW leader on Mon. and she thought it would be considered "lean". One of the ladies in my meeting had a great idea. She recommended I take a look at the labels in the grocery store and judge the whiteness of the meat and then come home and compare. I think that would give me a good sense as well. I thought 70% lean was probably too low (especially when a dish I made came out at 13 points/cup). I will be counting this particular dish as 6 points/cup (lean in the WW book) until I know otherwise. It is just ground beef, onion, tomato soup and kernel corn with some vinegar and Splenda brown sugar, so counting the beef points in a conservative estimate. We serve it over pasta, so I prefer limiting myself to 1/2 cup of pasta with a cup of sauce.

Thanks so much,
    Suzanne

I also use our beef that is raised and not processed. I thing it is very lean with very little fat. I would say it is 90% lean. Call your prcessing plant and ask what % of fat they put in... It is state regulated and I would say they have a guideline to follow unless the customer ask for something different..
    Keep up the good work!
    " Fat your out of here"
    Have a great day!!!
    ۩۝☺♫░ﮝﭲ☻▲▼╫≈₪₪
    Kim
    5'8
    SW: 204--Sep 1, 2004
    CW: 175.5
    GW: 150
    ۩۝☺♫░ﮝﭲ☻▲▼╫≈₪₪

Replies

I guess I should have been more clear. The beef I get is home raised, home butchered and home processed. My DH's dad used to own a butcher shop, so he still does it all himself.

We raise our own grass fed beef. We sell it locally, and eat a lot of it ourselves. I do not know the point count on it, but it is WAY leaner than anything you find in the grocery store. When you cook a hamburger, absolutely no fat comes out of it. In fact, some people who buy beef from us tell us that they add fat to the pan when they cook a hamburger! (I don't do that, I just feel virtuous eating it, LOL!) I am sure it is more than 90% lean, likely up to 95%. If you can get grass fed beef local to where you live, do it.
    Sara-Jo