Thread: Sushi

1. Question Sushi

Hey guys! I read the thread about the point values for some sushi rolls, but I was wondering what are some delicious sushi meals/rolls that are not "expensive" point-wise. I just started eating sushi, and I like the crunchy rolls, california rolls, and I love LOVE edamame! I am just looking to try new things (not the raw stuff just yet ), and just wondering what you sushi lovers out there usually get. THANKS!!

Default Re: Sushi

I just had a spicy vegetarian roll yesterday that was really good. Not quite sure what was in it to make it spicy, but it was yummy (and yes, spicy!). They also had a spicy california roll, but I haven't tried that.

My husband likes eel roll - he says that the eel is toasted, not raw. I haven't had it though to comment. I'm also a little hesitant to try the raw stuff, but I do eat an alaska roll (salmon) which is raw, but reminds me of smoked salmon which I enjoy. Tempura shrimp roll would probably be higher points (fried tempura shrimp with mayo), but it's really yummy. I haven't had it since starting WW, so not sure how many points it would be.
    * Sue *
    High weight: 295 (8/06)
    WW re-start weight: 285.2 (10/21/08)
    Current weight/goal:

I would be careful about eating a lot of sushi mostly because of the soy sauce which is full of sodium. Despite the minimal points, the sodium causes serious water retention, at least that's been my experience. I'm staying away from it for awhile ..
    Miss Emily

sw 2004: 155.2 (9/2/04)
    cw: 135.2

goal weight: 130

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Emily View Post
    I would be careful about eating a lot of sushi mostly because of the soy sauce which is full of sodium. Despite the minimal points, the sodium causes serious water retention, at least that's been my experience. I'm staying away from it for awhile ..
    Or, eat your sushi without the soy sauce.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

5. Default Re: Sushi

I like more of the sushi rather than the rolls... only because I dont like the seaweed, but my local sushi restaurant makes me special rolls with thin cucumber sheets (he spoils me so) And I'll tend to have it as an appetizer or a light meal.

Most of my 'pieces' sushi is 4 pieces for 2 points. Tuna, crab and shrimp are my favorites.

I usually take 1 tsp of soy sauce and mix in about 1/4 tsp of wasabi and ever so sparingly dip the pieces. JUST enough to get the flavor but not drenching it.

6. Default Re: Sushi

I eat sushi 3-4 times a week, I love it. Cucumber and veggie rolls are low in points, also tuna and salmon pieces are low. Stay away from anything "crunchy" as they are high in points.
    Starting Weight = 174
    Current Weight = 174
    Goal Weight = 119