Thread: Draining fat from ground meat

Replies

Default Draining fat from ground meat

Hi again,

I use Jennie O's 7% Fat Ground Turkey. The 3% Fat Turkey is double the cost at my grocery store, so I just buy the cheaper Ground Turkey and drain it well.

My question is regarding the nutrition info on the back--does this include draining? I use a strainer to get rid of the fat that comes out during cooking, and then I usually use a paper towel to pat off any extra fat. I still count my points using the nutrition info on the back, but DF noticed me doing this the other day and said the meat I was eating was probably closer to 3% fat after all the draining and patting.

Just wondered if I was doing this right...

TIA.
    Nicole
    HW: 196/SW: 193/CW: 157/PGW: 135

Default Re: Draining fat from ground meat

a butcher told me that if you cook and then drain and RINSE ground beef you can make it pretty lean. I'm not sure if the same is true for ground turkey but have you noticed that lean ground beef has almost the same NI as ground turkey?
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log

Replies

I have seen lean ground beef at Target, but the grocery by my house only carries (at the leanest) 15% fat. The turkey is 7%, so I thought I was doing better.

I will start rinsing too. Thanks for your advice!
    Nicole

Replies

I avoid rinsing because I believe that washes away the broth and therefore the flavor. I stop at blotting with a paper towel. I don't think rinsing removes enough more fat to be worth the flavor loss.

I do buy the leanest ground beef I can find, if I want a beef flavor.

I doubt that there is enough difference in fat content between 3% fat and 7% fat to matter in the grand scheme of things. If you drain it, that will be enough.

The "WW culture" tends to promote what can almost be called "fat phobia." It's really not necessary to attempt to eliminate ALL fat! The WW program is designed to be about 25% calories from fat. Many members try to drive their fat intake much lower, and it's not necessarily that good of an idea. Fat in your food connects to signals that you are full and satisfied. If you don't eat enough fat, you miss those signals. Plus if you drive your fat intake low enough for long enough, you can start getting side effects from a form of malnutrition. You need the balance! This is one reason for the healthy oil requirement.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Nancy speaks truth. To lose fat you have to eat fat- that's a good point!
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log

Replies

That is a good point. Usually when I'm using ground turkey, I'm making nachos and have the fat in the avocados, or I use it in lasagna with reduced fat ricotta cheese (ff just does not have the consistency). If I'm not going to be eating the fat somewhere else in the meal, like when I make turkey burgers, then it's probably better just to drain it and leave it alone.
    Nicole

7. Default Re: Draining fat from ground meat

My sister is a registered dietician and she says if you drain well, and then pour hot water over it and drain again, you have your very lean ground beef at much less cost. (Of course, more goes down the drain and you'll have less cooked meat per lb. of raw meat compared to the lean stuff). However, the flavor is in the fat-that's true of most foods with fat. Rinsed meat tastes bland. I will do that for chili, or tacos, or recipes that are spiced, but for just hamburgers, or meatloaf, I splurge on the expensive beef. Or, you could go back and add beef broth, that's what my sister does.

HTH
    Latebloomer

This is some interesting information that I never thought to consider. Thanks for starting this post!
    Elaine
    SW: 142 (10/31/06)
    CW: 130 (1/29/10)
    GW: 125

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/elainepaulsen

Nikki,

I live 2 miles from the Jennie o plant in Northern WI, and have eaten the 93% ground turkey for years. I use it as anyone would use hamburger. It's 93% which is "lean" ground turkey. I love it. There's really not much fat as I cook it, but what little bit there is, I do drain it off and that's it. I don't rinse it. I have bought the 100% ground turkey and I don't recommend it. It's very dry and the flavor just isn't there, even when I use it in a chili. It is more expensive and not worth it in my opinion.
    Two ounces of cooked, 93% ground turkey, is just 3 points and like it was mentioned, we do need fat on our diet.
    I am not a fan of red meat, that's why I eat the lean ground turkey, but if you like hamburger, you can get it lean too.

HTH
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 137.5 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

I am with Nancy on this one. A little fat is ok. I get my ground turkey from an Amish shop. It's 98% lean, I wonder if you have any shops around you that you could get a higher quality for a good price. I bought the JennieO stuff for a while too. I found I really like the stuff I am currently getting. No added anything and it's lean. It definitely has a different taste and it cooks up different. Burns easily so I cook it on lower heat. The biggest thing I think you should watch out for is sugar. High fructose corn syrup being the worst. That stuff is about in everything!

Replies

I drain my hamburger and skim the suet off for the birds. Chunks of suet around here cost at least $1.69 a pound, so when there is a manager's sale on not so lean hamburger, I buy it for both purposes. There is broth in the bottom of the bowl I use for meat broth. I have been rinsing it againwith hot water because it is extra fat. I do agree that there is value in fat and my hot water finishing does leave the meat bland.
    BTW: in purusing the nutritional labels in meat dept. at my supermarket, I have discovered that some of the leanest ground turkey has MORE cholesterol than the leanest beef with a higher fat content. Wonder if they are grinding lean organ meat in with the turkey meat in those cases.
    marge
    there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206
    CW: 162.5
    40# 2/5
    HW: 146