Thread: Who do I believe? Website or info on the can?

Question Who do I believe? Website or info on the can?

As I was eating my Chicken of the Sea - Pink Salmon this morning, I forgot what the nutritional information was for a serving. So, instead of getting up and getting the can out of the trash, I searched for the info on the internet, using a site that I had previously trusted when looking for nutrional info. Anyhow, the site stated that a serving of the the pink salmon (2oz) was 90 cal and 5 grams of fat. That didn't look right as I had previously looked at the nutritional info on the actual can before I threw it away. So I got up to go into the kitchen to fetch the can. Sure enough, the can states: for a 2oz serving, 60 cal, 2g of fat.

So my question, who do I believe? The website, which I thought was accurate and had trusted it enough to gauge my points in the past, or do I trust the information on the actual product? Sounds sort of like a silly question as I type this out, but I feel like I'm being mislead. How are we to be sure that the actual info on the package is correct? Maybe the info on the site is old info and the info on the can has since been updated?
    MO Platoon Member #37

HW: 346
    SW: 333 (11.16.07)
    CW: 323.5 (11.27.07)
    GW: 200

Replies

Default Re: Who do I believe? Website or info on the can?

Personally I always go by what the label says.. you could email the company though to ask why there is such a difference between the site and the label. Good luck!
    Jackie ~SW: 160/CW:155/GW: 130

Replies

I personally would trust the information on the can. Manufacturers sometimes change their products (ingredients, can size, serving size, etc.,) and then they update the information on the label to reflect the change. Websites are only as accurate as the person that updates the information, and I've found several websites recently that aren't updated very often. In your case, it could be that the manufacturer made a change, and the website administrator hasn't updated the website to reflect that yet.
    Tammy

SW: 198.6
    CW: 175.2
    GW: 130

This is my journey, and I won't let a little pebble in my pathway become a boulder. I'll just kick it out of the way and keep moving forward!

I would go with the information on the label.
    • HW-142 CW-118
    • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

I work in a lab that does testing for nutritional labeling. Companies pay a lot of money for the information you find on thier nutritional labels and the validity of that information is regulated by the FDA.

If available, I would ALWAYS go by the product label when figuring points!!!

ginnyb
    "The only one who can stop me is me---and I can take her!"

ginnyb (aka loves2cook!) "It's not the falling down, it's the staying down!!"

6. Default Re: Who do I believe? Website or info on the can?

I worked for one of the major cereal mfrs. years ago. LEGALLY the packaging had to be correct-it was a very big deal . If some employee found old packaging and used it by mistake, it was all thrown out. So I feel sure it is the can you should trust.
    Latebloomer

Thanks for the replies.
    MO Platoon Member #37

HW: 346
    SW: 333 (11.16.07)
    CW: 323.5 (11.27.07)
    GW: 200

I remember something about fish itself like canned tuna. The fat content changes with the catch or something like that. I always would go with label.
    lose 7.6 by Oct 2019

so here's one for you. Speaking of canned tuna. The can of tuna says it holds six ounces but if you drain the water it's only something like 4.35 oz of actual tuna meat and 1.65 oz of water.

do you count it for 6 oz of tuna or 4.35 oz of tuna?

These things don't keep me up at night but I think it's just one small example of NI being a little more than ambigious.

I learned the other day that a calorie is measured by how much of it has to be burned by the body to boil one liter of water. Something like 100 calories will boil 1 liter of water.

-Padre
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log

Padre: for that one, i would go to my book. Fish, tuna, canned in water drained 4oz (1 can)=3pt .
    lose 7.6 by Oct 2019

TryingWW Guest

Padre, I actually e-mailed the manufacturer's customer service about this last summer. The nutritional information is for the entire serving which would include proportional amounts of 'water.' I also e-mailed Del Monte because I had a question about the syrup in fruit. The calorie count includes the syrup as well as the fruit. So if you pour off the syrup it is few calories. I wanted to use the fruit and juice as a pancake topping. I needed to know if I had to add in more calories (points) for the syrup.

Replies

Hmmm, I'll have to check the ni on the tuna I use, but I was pretty sure there was information there both for "undrained" and the "drained".
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl39
    Padre: for that one, i would go to my book. Fish, tuna, canned in water drained 4oz (1 can)=3pt .

and I do but the can says it's 6oz and not 4oz so is the book correct or not?
    Running Log

Quote Originally Posted by TryingWW
    Padre, I actually e-mailed the manufacturer's customer service about this last summer. The nutritional information is for the entire serving which would include proportional amounts of 'water.' I also e-mailed Del Monte because I had a question about the syrup in fruit. The calorie count includes the syrup as well as the fruit. So if you pour off the syrup it is few calories. I wanted to use the fruit and juice as a pancake topping. I needed to know if I had to add in more calories (points) for the syrup.

That's great information. and I have always wondered about the syrup in fruit too.
    Running Log

The tuna conundrum - I have Bumble Bee, white albacore in water. It's a 6 oz. can. The ni says 2 oz. drained is a serving size, 70 calories, no fiber, 1 g of fat, approximately 2.5 servings per can. Points for the whole can calculate to 4.
    Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

16. Default Re: Who do I believe? Website or info on the can?

This was so educational! I probably learned more from these posting than any I have ever read prior. You people are so supportive and informative.