Thread: MO: Protein Shakes

Replies

Default MO: Protein Shakes

Alright, here is another blockbuster question... Sorry ladies this one is only for the men, [start/sarcasm] as requested by Lieutenant Blake.[end/sarcasm].

I have in the past(pre-WW) tried to use protein shakes to maintain fullness, but didn't really notice any change. I still have some GNC 100% Whey Protein under my desk that has been there for about 5 years, which I was thinking about taking again.

When should I be taking it? Should I use it as a meal replacement? Should I use milk or water (usually use water)? Do I need to count any points, if I am doing core? How many servings should I use at one time?

The label reads as follows for 1 serving w/ 8 oz. of water/milk:
    Fat 2g
    Protein 20g
    Carbs 4g (sugars 2 g)

I would like to start taking it again, but I am concerned that I will gain instead of lose if I do not take it properly.
    Last edited by dave13; 10-18-2007 at 10:56 AM.
    Dave
    MO Platoon Member #1313
    Take 1 - 05.19.07 (lost totalof 42 lbs)
    Take 2 - 03.20.10
    PGW: 180

Default Re: MO: Protein Shakes

Dave,
    I don't know anything about this subject but here are a couple recent threads reguarding this..

first second
    MO Platoon Member #711
    SW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 | GW -179.0 ##/##/## | LT - 10/06/07| CW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 - +0.0# | Current Loss - 0.0#

1. I wouldn't take 5 year old protein. It should have started breaking down by now.
    2. I wouldn't buy GNC protein because it's most expensive.
    3. If you're using a whey protein it will digest very quickly and leave you hungry in a matter of an hour or so.
    Honestly if you want to stay full just eat a chicken breast, can of tuna, etc. Protein shakes are nice because they can be transported easily, don't have to be kept cold and have a good amount of protein grams to calorie ratio. If you have other options then use them.

Protein is 4 calories per gram no matter how you slice it but I'm not sure how that calculates into your core plan. I just count the points for flex plan.

-Padre
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log

GOP_FTW Guest

if you are working out what you should be doing is taking the protein in the morning when you wake up and later on in the day after you get done working out.

dave you also forgot to include the calories..

i never included these into my points but at the same time i never add AP points to my daily point value when i work out...