Thread: OT - New Crock-Pot: Motwin is about to throwdown!

Default OT - New Crock-Pot: Ronesshia is about to throwdown!

Okay, so I got a new Crock-Pot this weekend as a housewarming gift. Let me just say that I am no great cook. I can cook, but frankly I hate it. So the easier it is to prepare a meal the better. I'd also like to shock my DBF when he comes up for my birthday by having something really tasty for him to eat.

I "heart" my crockpot
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10032827@N02/1472609891/

Anyway, I don't like foods with a bunch of stuff in it. I eat chicken, turkey (ground), and pork chops.

With that being said, I have few questions.

-should I use frozen chicken breasts or unfrozen?
    -How long should I cook either

I've gone through some of the recipes here, and some of them look quite yummy. But I'm going to need help if I'm going to be the next Iron Chef.
    Last edited by motwin2; 10-02-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: changed title
    Ronesshia
    Surprise Yourself!

Default Re: OT - New Crock-Pot: Motwin is about to throwdown!

If you're doing chicken I'd highly recommend this one. It calls for a whole chicken, so you'd have plenty of GREAT leftovers for lunches!

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...ad.php?t=55733
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

You can use frozen or unfrozen; however, I have problems with chicken "sweating" too much and creating too much liquid, so I use unfrozen. Don't know if anybody else does, but I do. I just add cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Either way, it's all good.

So...
    Unfrozen chicken=3 hours on high, at least 6 hours on low
    Frozen=4 on high, 8 on low.
    VANESSA
    274/248.5/under 150
    Size 26/20/8ish
    1/4/08: -10
    2/1/08: -8.5
    3/7/08: -0
    4/4/08: -4.5
    5/2/08: -4

NurseAudrey Guest

It might depend on the brand of the crock-pot. I just got one last week, and the manual says not to use frozen meat in it (only thawed).

Replies
    Blog Entries

FYI - IMO, if you're going to cook it on low for at least 8 hours, frozen is fine. I have put in a pork tenderloin STRAIGHT from the freezer, added my seasonings/water/etc, on low for 8 hours (you can do high if you're paranoid, just add enough water) and it always comes out fine.

They may suggest nothing frozen so they can't be sued for saying that it will be fine and then if it's not cooked, you could sue them for e.coli or whatever for under cooked meat. Again, I've never EVER had a problem, just use your judgement.. mine ALWAYS works...and it's always tender.

And just for the record, I usually take out my meats after dinner and place them in the fridge, that way they are at least partially defrosted. Most of the middle is usually frozen, but I put it on low for at least 8 hours and the meat is always perfect.

Happy crockpotting!
    Trish HW: 190 SW: 170 CW: 164.2 GW: 135ish

Replies

Okay trish- I have corned venison in the crockpot that I tossed in frozen this morning for dinner tonight. If I am not here to post on monday, you will know that I croaked from eating poison crockpot food!

LOL I am sure it will be just fine!

Hearts&Flowers Guest

I use frozen meats in my crock pot all the time with great results. I was told years ago that the reason the manufacturers did not want you to use frozen foods was that it was possible to crack the crock in the first hour of cooking (with the extreme differences in temperatures).

Because this is in the back of my mind, I always make sure to put cold food into a cold crock pot. I never turn the thing on until I'm ready to put the food in...

My favorite WW recipe is Salsa Chicken made with frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts. I made this yesterday with one point corn tortillas and 2% cheddar cheese. My DH has no idea that this is WW friendly -- he loves it!