Thread: The chicken enchiladas

Default The chicken enchiladas

I made them last night and while very easy and tasty, I do have a question about the prep. I used the corn tortillas and rolled them, but each one broke and erupted and curled back like it was peeling. I laughed, patted them down put on the 'sauce' and covered with foil and baked. they came out fine but the chicken was exposed so much due to the peeling......should I have just done the tear them up casserole version?? Would warming up the corn tortillas made a difference? But they were good w/ a fork!
    ~Nancy in SJ

HW 152
    CW 144
    GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

www.englishsetterrescue.org

2. Smile Re: The chicken enchiladas

Hi! I always take some of the enchilada sauce and put it in a frying pan, heat it up and put the tortillas in it until they are warm and pliable to roll. This is a gooey messy way, but I think it would also work if you heated the corn tortillas in the microwave until they were steamed nice and flexible. I have one of those styrofoam steamers and it works great at about 30 seconds on high power. Hope that helps!
    Stay on target! Stay on target! (Star Wars)

Default Re: The chicken enchiladas

I started layering enchiladas over 20 years ago and I've never looked back. It makes the process so much easier and they taste the same. No one has ever complained that they weren't rolled.
    Abby

SW: 285 (1/1/08)
    CW: 179

"Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time."

I would warm the tortillas. I put them in the microwave right in the plastic bag and warm on half power (50% / medium). But the better way is to put them in a clean dish towel, and sprinkle some water on the towel and warm in the microwave. Just a few seconds is long enough.

Ann
    ann p

I have the same problem when I use them. Maybe next time I'll try heating them first.
    Amanda

ds 03/25/10
    dd 10/12/06
    ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

Would you be able to share your recipe? I did a search and couldnt find it.
    Thank you.
    Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237
    Current Weight: 203.5
    My Goal Weight: 180

I use the Crockpot Salsa chicken(shredded) for my enchiledas..I also steam the tortillas in the microwave with a sprinkle of water/wrapped in towel so they don't crack when rolling.
    Be your own best friend every day.

Default Re: The chicken enchiladas RECIPE

Chicken Enchiladas
    Makes 10 enchiladas. Points per serving: 3.3

(very filling)

3 chicken breasts (skinless)
    1 can cream of chicken 98% fat free soup
    5 tablespoons of fat free sour cream
    16 oz. jar of salsa
    Package of 10 fat free (or reduced fat) flour tortillas (the small ones)
    1 can of diced green chili's
    1 large onion, diced
    1 cup fat free mild cheddar cheese

Cook and shred chicken in pan. I season my chicken with a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Add the jar of salsa, can of green chili's, and diced onion - and simmer. While those are simmering, in a smaller bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup and sour cream.

Take about 6 tablespoons of the soup mixture and add to the chicken and salsa mixture. Mix well. Spray casserole dish with Pam (or any similar spray). Individually roll each enchilada up and place seam down in the pan. If I have any of the chicken mixture left, I spread it on top of the enchiladas.

Pour the remaining soup mixture over the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted. Makes 10 enchiladas.
    ~Nancy in SJ

HW 152
    CW 144
    GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

www.englishsetterrescue.org