Thread: Doubling/Half servings

chesterbrooks Guest

Default Doubling/Half servings

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to calculate points for double the servings or half the servings? I split the french fries with another person in my McDonald's value meal. (If I'm forced to eat there, I usually order the nuggets. I found they are MUCH less in points than practically anything else there.) So, instead of the entire fry order, I split them.

The info listed is: Fiber - 5 g Calories: 380 and fat is 20 g.

(It about made me cry just reading THAT!) I know this is a really bad example, and I'm sure I'll hear some comments about it, but that was where we ended up for lunch today. So, do I just calculate the points and then split in in half, or do I just automatically take 1/2 of everything to begin with?

The same question is for doubling a portion. This can of soup I have gives me the info based on 1 serving (there's 2 in a can.) I know I don't double the fiber, but do I double the calories, fat, etc? I just don't know for sure and I want to calculate these points the right way.

Thanks!

Replies

Default Re: Doubling/Half servings

The math kind of works the same for both. If you have two servings you double the calories, fat and fiber (and cap the fiber at 4) then re-calculate the points. For a half serving you would divide them in half.

So, for your examples:
    One serving: 380 calories/20 grams fat/5 gram fiber = 8 points
    Two servings: 760 calories/40 grams fat/10 grams fiber = 18 points
    1/2 serving: 190 calories/10 grams fat/2.5 grams fiber = 4 points
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

What do you mean by cap the fiber at 4 points?

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne
    The math kind of works the same for both. If you have two servings you double the calories, fat and fiber (and cap the fiber at 4) then re-calculate the points. For a half serving you would divide them in half.

So, for your examples:
    One serving: 380 calories/20 grams fat/5 gram fiber = 8 points
    Two servings: 760 calories/40 grams fat/10 grams fiber = 18 points
    1/2 serving: 190 calories/10 grams fat/2.5 grams fiber = 4 points

Replies

We can only count the first four grams of fiber in the food we eat as a sort of "points discount". That is why your points slider only goes to 4 grams of fiber.

Ok,then I am confused. In the example below she is showing 10 grams of fiber when caluculating a double serving.

For example how would I double my serving of Cinnamon Raisin Bread;

100 calories
    1.5 fat
    3 fiber

Would I double this as 200 calories, 3 fat and just 4 fiber? Or do I double the fiber also, making it 6?

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by gmmunj
    Ok,then I am confused. In the example below she is showing 10 grams of fiber when caluculating a double serving.

For example how would I double my serving of Cinnamon Raisin Bread;

100 calories
    1.5 fat
    3 fiber

Would I double this as 200 calories, 3 fat and just 4 fiber? Or do I double the fiber also, making it 6?
    Even if you double the fiber to 6, if you use the WWer POINTS calculator, it will automatically cap it at 4 when calculating the points.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Replies

and... isn't it funny how if we eat two servings of something it doesn't always just double the points... see LuAnnes example- eating two servings made it 18 points rather than the 16 you would assume... YIKES! thats almost all of the points I am allowed in a day....we really have to be careful.

AAAAH! Thanks for explaining that to me... I do use a points calculator and I wasn't aware that it 'recalculates' the fiber to be a max of 4.

So, as far as calculating what to put in your calculator... I am doing the right thing by doubling the calories, fat and fiber and then putting those numbers into the calculator.