Thread: Muscle loss with weight loss?

1. Question Muscle loss with weight loss?

Good morning.

Is muscle loss inevitable when losing weight with Weight Watchers? It was my (mis)understanding that muscle loss would only occur as part of an improper weight reduction plan. Apparently I was wrong (see my question from yesterday in "Daily Thread.")

My particulars: Male, 45yo, 6'0", started WW in mid-June at 218, target 175, now at 199 and worrying about how much of that 19 pounds was valuable muscle.

Thanks
    -Mark

Default Re: Muscle loss with weight loss?

I think that unless you are using tons of protien either with supplements or diet and doing tons of strength training, it is extremely difficult to lose weight and NOT lose some muscle mass.

I agree with TCO you would need lots of protien and to be working those muscles. I don't recall the exact numbers but as you get older mainly starting at 30 you loose XX % of your muscle mass just from aging and from your muscles being dormant. I honestly wouldn't be concerned about some muscle loss if you are staying under 2# a week on average and exercising you should be fine. The key is movement eat all the protien you want but if you are stagnent your muscles will atrophy even if you aren't on a diet.

blake
    MO Platoon Member #711
    SW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 | GW -179.0 ##/##/## | LT - 10/06/07| CW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 - +0.0# | Current Loss - 0.0#

here's my much researched answer but first my quick story.

From April to June I lost about 45 lbs, I was merely tracking points and only doing walking and circuit weight lifting for exercise. I was finding that one day I could bench 200lbs and then just 3 days later could barely get 175 up. That's when I realized that I was on my way to being thinner but also weaker.

So in June I started dividing my calories (or points) into a 40/40/20 split. That's 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% split. I also started doing split body workouts, increased my cardio. I've increased in strength while decreasing in weight.

I make sure I get 1gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. For me that's 190 grams of protein a day. I can easily do this and keep my points in a healthy range by supplementing my regular diet with whey protein powder.

I do still lose some muscle but it's nothing too drastic. I figure I can always put on muscle mass later if I want.

-Padre
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log

5. Default Re: Muscle loss with weight loss?

Quote Originally Posted by Thinnerer
    Good morning.

Is muscle loss inevitable when losing weight with Weight Watchers? It was my (mis)understanding that muscle loss would only occur as part of an improper weight reduction plan. Apparently I was wrong (see my question from yesterday in "Daily Thread.")

My particulars: Male, 45yo, 6'0", started WW in mid-June at 218, target 175, now at 199 and worrying about how much of that 19 pounds was valuable muscle.

Thanks
    -Mark
    I guess I am just nodding my head here, but yeah, it is very difficult to lose weight and not lose muscle. But, as PadreC points out, if you monitor your macronutrient intake carefully, it is possible. It does complicate the "out-of-the-box" WeightWatchers plan a bit though. (I suspect this is easier to do on Core, for what it is worth.)

My personal experience was my first go-around with WW, I lost a lot of muscle and strength, but I was just basically eating the minimum number of points (I didn't eat any weekly points and rarely used any of the activity points, and honestly I didn't even exercise that much). I gained it back, but for me, personally, I find it difficult to take on too much at once.

This time around, I am better at it, but I am not quite comfortable enough to monitor protein/fat/carb intake-- yet. I do, however, make sure to get plenty of exercise, and I am sure to eat those activity points so my body has a chance to recover itself.

6. Post Re: Muscle loss with weight loss?

Quote Originally Posted by PadreC
    I make sure I get 1gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. For me that's 190 grams of protein a day. I can easily do this and keep my points in a healthy range by supplementing my regular diet with whey protein powder.-Padre
    Hmm. So what do you guys think? Could I benefit from including a protein supplement (like whey protein powder) in my 31 daily points?

Replies

It would be a worthy experiment. Try it for a few weeks then go without doing it for a few. You may see some difference or You may find that it is a non issue.
    CW
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

8. Post Re: Muscle loss with weight loss?

Quote Originally Posted by synecdoche
    My personal experience was my first go-around with WW, I lost a lot of muscle and strength, but I was just basically eating the minimum number of points (I didn't eat any weekly points and rarely used any of the activity points, and honestly I didn't even exercise that much).
    I have been eating all of my daily and weekly points. However, I find that I rarely get very hungry; my bad eating habits were more a result of "liking to eat" than from actual hunger. That said, I have been able to top off my daily points with a couple of drinks each evening. I suppose that is not a great idea. If I try the whey protein powder, I'll limit myself to one or zero drinks each evening and fill out my daily points with healthier fare.

-Mark

starbrite Guest

sorry i am just inquiring.

is it correct to take in 1 gram of protein per pound of your body weight?

i spoke to a fitness trainer, and they said that if you took in even 1 gram of protein for HALF your weight in pounds that is really good, if you are just trying to lose weight and not bulk up.

can someone clear this up for me? is this perhaps because i am a female, and the fitness expert said this towards a younger girl (err im actually 22 so i should say woman but i still look young so i will say girl lol) with a very small frame.

Replies

Ditto here. I was benching 175 lbs last year, now I don't even bother to go over 125. I'm doing higher reps on lighter wts. I figure one thing at a time. The primary goal is to lose the weight and then get back in shape. Whenever I go back to concentrating on workouts I risk losing sight of the original goal. That's how my brain works anyway, YMMV.

I've been able to run the same distances but my times are not improving by as much as you'd expect from this amount of wt loss. I found once before that when I reached 175 I was able to train with greater intensity and the improvement came fast. In only 3-4 months I was in better shape than ever before.

I've also been competing in masters shot put for many years and I skipped the whole season this year. Didn't even take the old ball out for a test drive. There's plenty of time to regain the strength after I'm down to where I want to be or at least within 10 lbs of it. Besides, I move into another age group next year and only have to throw 5Kg (11 lbs).
    Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire
    visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Replies

Wink Re: Muscle loss with weight loss?

Interesting post,

I noticed my arms and legs becoming very "skinny" as I lost the weight, but the definition was more noticable as the weight dropped off. I did mostly cardio during the actual loss, and am now going to work on strength this fall and winter.

I set my goal weight with a doctor's note 5 lbs over the WW max with the intention to use that extra cushion to account for any additional muscle mass I might add when I work to increase my strength and muscle mass - especially in my skinny arms and legs.

Later.
    MO Platoon Member #184

This is for life....

SW - 237.8 (March 16, 2006)

10% goal - 214.8 (5/18/06)

Lifetime goal - 184.0

Lifetime goal: 11/30/06 @ 183.2 lbs

WW lifetime membership: Jan 11, 2007

Current WT: 179.2 (5/5/2012)