Thread: peanut butter dilemma

1. Default peanut butter dilemma

I am a huge peanut butter fan and I know that ww pretty much prohibits peanut butter. What should I do ? Does anyone else battle with this?

I was doing well today. Had three egg whites (1pt), Lite whole grain english muffin (1 pt) with Olivio margarine (very little), and coffee for bfast, then lunch was a nice salad with very little vinegrette and two slices of turkey. Well by 3 pm I was famished and had to eat 1 banana and a lite whole grain english muffin with peanut butter to hold my hunger over before dinner. urghh.....

I run a lot so I know that I have a fast metabolism but I am always hungry and protein is the best way I know how to control it. Someone have any advice?
    Julie S. Rossi

Physician Assistant Student -Hofstra University, NY

MA in Exercise Physiology - Adelphi University, NY

BA in Philosophy, Politics, and Law - Binghamton University, NY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Current weight - 110 lbs
    Weight to Loose - 10 lbs
    Height- 4'11"

Default Re: peanut butter dilemma

First of all, WW doesn't prohibit any foods - you just include them in your plan, allowing for the points. I love peanut butter, too - and it's a great food (in moderation).If you want an acceptable substitute, buy PB2 (it's a peanut flour with the fat removed - you reconsitute it with water. 2 tablespoons dry equals just 1 point. You can order it from www.bellplantation.com)

I'm not surprised that you were famished - you had a 2-point breakfast and a 2-3 point lunch. You need to eat more points - protein, fiber, some carbs - fruit is good and provides some natural sugar for your body.

How many daily points are you supposed to be eating? Are you using your 35 weekly points as well? They will help you when you need a bit more of a "boost" to your day. If you're running a lot, you're also earning activity points. You don't have to eat them, but if you're doing a lot of physical activity, your body is going to need more food.

If you don't eat all your points, then 2 things will happen: (1) your body will think you're starving it and you'll lose weight slower (if at all) and (2) at some points, your mind will "snap" and you'll binge on foods that you've been depriving yourself of.

I've "been there and done that" in both cases, and I've learned from the experience.

Remember that you are NOT on a diet - you are making lifestyle changes. Don't develop ANY habits that you're not willing to live with for the rest of your life. As for me, a life without ever having peanut butter cross my lips would be a sad life indeed!

Listen to your body - if you're "famished" then your body is signaling that you need to give it some fuel.

Hope this helps.
    SW: 224 lbs
    CW: 162 lbs
    GW: 145 lbs

Goodbye 220's...210's...200's...190's...180's...170's...

Quote Originally Posted by julie0328
    I am a huge peanut butter fan and I know that ww pretty much prohibits peanut butter.
    Uhh WW doesn't prohibit anything. It's up to you how you user your points, it's all about planning.
    Jodee SW: 223 CW: 177 PW:178.5 GW:??
    Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mochalattekona Guest

I love the PB2 peanut butter from bellplantation.com It is powdered PB just like the previous poster mentioned and you mix it when you need it.

It is only 1 point for 2T compared to 5points of regular PB for the same amount.

I highly recommend that you purchase it from the website which is the ONLY place you can get it. The min order is 6 and they kill you in shipping charges. But, ask around at work or your WW meetings and you WILL sell the other jars easily.
    I keep one at home and one at work so I dont have to tote it back-forth.

If you love PB this is definatley a must!

Replies

WW doesn't prohibit peanut butter or anything else! You can have peanut butter every day if you want ... 1 Tbsp. is just 2 Points! With a points-dense food like this you have to be careful of quantities .. but it's not forbidden at all! And if I'm going to spend points on peanut butter, you can bet I'm going to use them on the real thing!

It sounds like you are eating way too little, especially early in the day. No wonder you are "starving" by mid-afternoon!

I eat 5 Points for breakfast and 6 for lunch, with a mid-morning snack for a couple more. Then there's still room for a mid-afternoon snack. You know what? I'm not starving, so dinner is also around 5 Points. Then I have Points left for an evening snack.

If you are having trouble figuring out how to eat all your Points, this is where peanut butter can come in really handy. It is a good source of concentrated calories from a combination of carbs, fat, and protein. And it can be really satisfying!

If you run, you also earn activity Points that you may need to use to keep from being overly hungry.

You can also use your WPA, an average of 5 more Points every day.

My Target is 20, and I rarely go under 22 + whatever AP I earned. That means many days I eat over 30 Points and I'm still On Program. And I still lose.

Eat up! Trust the program, use your Points!
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies
    Blog Entries

I eat PB nearly every day...and definately every week.
    I buy the natural brand that is 4 points for 2 tbs. I usually eat a 1pt tortilla, with 1 tbs of PB for 2 pts, then I have a small bananna for 1 pt. Together it rolls up to be 4 pts, and I get my PB craving curbed!

YMMMMMMMMMMM It is good!

Lesa
    HW: 297/ RESTART: 207.8/ CW: 205.6 / WWG: 146

10/18/2011: RESTART
    *RNT is not an excuse.....it is a challenge!

gonnabehealthy Guest

Ditto what Lesa said. That is my breakfast most every day. Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarLesa
    I eat PB nearly every day...and definately every week.
    Me too.
    • HW-142 CW-118
    • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

Replies

I ate a VERY filling and VERY delicious breakfast this morning:

1 cup of oatmeal with 1 tbsp of peanut butter stirred in (it tastes so good when it is melted) with some sweetner and banana slices stirred in.

It was just like eating peanut butter oatmeal cookie dough.

Try it. It's good.

Quote Originally Posted by eltonlvr

I highly recommend that you purchase it from the website which is the ONLY place you can get it. The min order is 6 and they kill you in shipping charges.
    Actually, Bell Plantation's minimum is 4 jars, but shipping charges are indeed high. It will run you approximately $25 for 4 jars with the shipping. You can however find individual jars being sold on eBay. Just do a search for PB2.
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by nancyny
    WW doesn't prohibit peanut butter or anything else! You can have peanut butter every day if you want ... 1 Tbsp. is just 2 Points! With a points-dense food like this you have to be careful of quantities .. but it's not forbidden at all! And if I'm going to spend points on peanut butter, you can bet I'm going to use them on the real thing!
    I agree here. And really measure it out You will be amazed at how much 1Tbsp of peanut butter is.
    Laura Elizabeth
    Born May 7th 2005
    A miracle blessing indeed.

I have Peanut Butter daily. I usually eat one tablespoon on a toasted 1 pt english muffin with some sugar free preserves. Nothing is prohibited! Just make sure you count your points!
    Amanda

ds 03/25/10
    dd 10/12/06
    ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

13. Default Re: peanut butter dilemma

Sorry, guys. I didnt mean to start a ruckus over the my peanut butter infatuation. I guess I was being a bit sarcastic about the whole 'prohibits' thing. I am aware that ww doesnt prohibit anything, however, I also know that PB is high in fat but it isn't bad fat (well not all of it) and it's high on points. I personally, love, skippy pb. I have tried the all natural pb and it's not to my liking. So, what exactly is the points per tablespoon for regular good old skippy peanut butter? Is it 5 pts?

Once again, today, I was hungry. I ran 4 miles and did a lot of lower body exercises. I came home around 12pm and had an all veggie frittata that I personally made, which I would say was about 4 points for it. Since I made it out of egg yolks and biscuit mix. But it had a ton of veggies and it was not a big piece. Then as a snack an hour later, I had a medium banana and 1 tablespoon of PB. So, far, I have 11 pts.

I really appreciate all of your support. Definitely didn't mean to say that ww prohibits anything. That is why I love ww so much!
    Julie S. Rossi

Current weight - 110 lbs
    Weight to Loose - 10 lbs
    Height- 4'11"

Replies
    Blog Entries

I LOVE PB and Bananas!! good stuff!

Lesa
    HW: 297/ RESTART: 207.8/ CW: 205.6 / WWG: 146

10/18/2011: RESTART
    *RNT is not an excuse.....it is a challenge!

Julie 1 tablespoon of almost any kind of peanut butter is 2 or 2.5 points

I'd be starving too if I'd only had 11 points. Find the tools you need to figure out the correct points so you can know what you're eating, not just guess.
    Also if you are running that much you'll need to use your Activity Points to fuel your workouts. WW is about a healthy weight loss, not eating the fewest points possible. There is a minimum target for a reason.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Replies

Joanne has given you great advice. At 4'11'', your weight range is 99 to 119 lbs. Your goal of losing 10 pounds to get to a weight of 100 lbs would take you right to the bottom of your weight range. So you might find your weight loss is not rapid. Just don't try to speed things up by cutting back below the WW minimums.
    "Hunger is the best sauce"
    my Mom

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by julie0328
    So, what exactly is the points per tablespoon for regular good old skippy peanut butter? Is it 5 pts?
    It's not as high as you think.

The PB we have now, 1 Tbsp. = 2 pt., 2 Tbsp. = 5 pt.

We miss Peter Pan ..

With all that activity, you probably need to be eating your Activity Points. But I see you posted about that on another thread. I find I like to distribute them among carbs (for quick energy) and extra protein and good fats. I feel much better and am less hungry if I use those Points.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies

All I have to say is ORDER PB2!!! I was having a problem with peanut butter.... finally broke down and ordered it... OMFG! When you add a little splenda to it before the water, it tastes AMAZING! Def. worth the $$!!
    I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!
    2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

19. Default Re: peanut butter dilemma

Thanks, guys. All of your advice is very well appreciated. Yes, I realize that at 4'11" my weight should be around 99 to 119 lbs. For me, I definitely do not expect to loose this weight quickly because my body definitely needs to hang on it. I also have been running and exercising for many many years, so my body is so used to this sort of lifestyle that it I am no longer shocking my body.

Even if I just got down to like 105 lbs and maybe fluctuated between that and like 103 lbs, I would be happy. I do not want to be rail skinny but for me, being 110 lbs is a little bit on the big side. For some people, they would only dream of being 110 lbs but remember I am small.

Thanks, again for all the support
    Julie S. Rossi

Current weight - 110 lbs
    Weight to Loose - 10 lbs
    Height- 4'11"

Replies

I would be famished on your menu plan! Try to include more whole grains like bulgur, quinoa, barley, etc. to keep you satisfied longer, and be sure you're including those healthy oils. I frequently have oatmeal with yogurt, fruit and flaxseed oil and it keeps me full all morning.

Someone posted this in the Super Healthy Eaters thread: http://theconsumerlink.com/NATURALLY...CL%2BNATMORE/0

It's peanut butter made with flaxseeds/flaxseed oil so it is lower in points, higher in fiber, and has Omega-3 fatty acids. I haven't tried it.
    Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

starbrite Guest

i love peanut butter too! my brother is deadly allergic to all forms of nuts, so i grew up without it. my only craving was satisfied when i would go to friends houses and eat it there-lol.

i just buy the regular kraft brand, and take it with me to make a sandwich out sid eof the home.

with ww 1 point bread slices + 1 tbsp of peanut butter=3 points. that isn't too bad i think .

i have never tried any other brands like fat free or light, scared they will taste gross and i wasted alot of money.

i recommend putting some ff cheese in your egg whites with maybe some meat/meatless products-this will get your protein in easily, and not so huge on the points.

i know they say you should eat many small meals a day. but when ever i try that, i find i just am on the prowl for food all day long, timing myself for my next break of food so i try to eat 3 big meals a day , and very low point snacks in between like (veggies and 1 point dip, 1 point fruit yogurt, soy chips, 100 cal snacks , etc). this way i am so full from my meal , and by full i mean i will eat 2 sandwiches (ie veggies ,1point cheese, 1 point bread slices)= 4 points. plus a filler like soup that is 0 points.

i find i don't go for the cookie jar after i eat, or hang around the kitchen for munchies.

see what works for you. maybe you are like me, and eating such a small lunch did nothing for you, but make you sit around and jump at your next meal.

i always recommend, eating a salad or soup, or stir fry veggies at EVERY MEAL. it is just such an easy thing, where it will fill you up even more, it will be meaningless 0-1 points, and you are satisfied.

no wonder at restaurants people get appetizers. just pretty up your food, make the salad presentable liek a restaurant salad, break out the nice dishes for this. if it looks good, it will taste better.

oh also,ff cottage cheese, has alot of protein! and tastes so good. you can throw it into your pasta, eat it on the side , or just eat it alone.

Replies
    Blog Entries

3 tsp = 1 tbsp of peanut butter.

I use a tsp on each of my bread slices and don't even get a full TBSP but it's more PB than you'd think. And it's less than 3 points (even though I still account for the 2-3 depending on the brand.)
    Trish HW: 190 SW: 170 CW: 164.2 GW: 135ish

I just ordered pb2 today - I can't wait to try it!! I love peanut butter!
    ~Amy~

Quit Smoking: 10/1/12 ~ For the last time!!

I just wanted to add that the PB2 is amazing. It actually tastes more like fresh roasted peanuts than any peanut butter I've ever had. Love it.
    HW 251.8 SW 237.5 (03/18/13) CW 225.8 (4/15/13) GW 165 (tenative)