Thread: Are Crockpots really safe?

1. Default Are Crockpots really safe?

Hello Everyone,

I love using my crockpot; however having grown up in a family where you turn off all electric appliances before you leave the house ... I have never felt safe leaving the crockpot on while I am out at work. SO I end up cooking whatever at night and then turning it off before I go to work and then reheating in the night before eating.

I guess I am looking for some reassurance that crockpots are REALLY safe -- has anyone ever had any issues with thier crockpot? Has anyone's house burned done??

Mine is a small one, w/o the high and low options. It just has an on and off button.

Thanks.

Default Re: Are Crockpots really safe?

I have 3 crockpots ranging in age from 2 years old to 18 years old. I've never had any issues with any of them. My house and family remain intact!
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

3. Default Re: Are Crockpots really safe?

Thanks

I will be brave tomorrow and test it out. I appreciate the reassurance!

Replies

I currently have 2 crocks, one old and one new. Neither has given me any trouble and I LOVE letting them cook dinner for me while I'm at work. My mother has an old one, too, and it works well still. As long as the cord is not frayed and there's no visible damage to the appliance, I don't think there's any need to worry.
    Darci
    224.2/175/165
    Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

Replies

My crockpot is 26 years old and I have never had a problem.
    Judy S.
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009
    20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

6. Default Re: Are Crockpots really safe?

Thanks everyone.

I woke up to late to start the crockpot this morning, but I will give it a try this week

I know what you mean about leaving the house with something hot in it--but I am an RN for over 23 years and have never heard of a crock pot being implicated in a house fire--I think they are built for the slow, long haul. I use mine all the time--had an old one that I got for a wedding present (88) and the crock got broken by the dog who couldn't resist the smell--but no fire even tho the whole thing was turned over on it's side, etc.......
    Em
    SW 189.5
    CW 173.2 Goal=155 (10% 159)
    Lifetime 12/06 at 155#
    "Never give up. . . and never surrender." Cmdr. Peter Quincy Taggart, Galaxy Quest

Quote Originally Posted by sinhactnt
    Hello Everyone,

I love using my crockpot; however having grown up in a family where you turn off all electric appliances before you leave the house ... I have never felt safe leaving the crockpot on while I am out at work. SO I end up cooking whatever at night and then turning it off before I go to work and then reheating in the night before eating.

Just had to comment on this.. You are worried about burning your house down having it on while you are at work. Instead your ok with it burning the house down as long as you and your family are asleep in the house. Sorry just made me laugh when I thought about it that way.
    MO Platoon Member #711
    SW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 | GW -179.0 ##/##/## | LT - 10/06/07| CW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 - +0.0# | Current Loss - 0.0#

neenee4686 Guest

I'm so glad someone brought this up. I (this morning) turned on my new crockpot for only the 2nd time and left the house. The 1st time I used one in my life was this past Saturday and I was home the whole time. When I left the house this morning I pictures my cats knocking it over and me coming home to my house burnt down.. LOL.

It's very reassuring that so many people have had them for so long and have never had a problem!!

LostTeacher Guest

i am just about to do the same thing myself....turn it on with my dinner, and leave it while at work all day. and the only time i have ever used one was when i was home.

i feel a lot more comfortable leaving it now. thanks a lot buddies!

LT

I use mine...on average...once or twice a week....and the only ones home at the time are the pets.

Ive never had any issues with it. IMO they are pretty safe.
    Fatima AKA Smylin_Atcha
    ya ya name: Queen Horny Toad Smurf name: Hootchie Smurfette
    sw:270 cw:190.6 79.4 lbs destroyed:bcbsalute
    Faith is the ability to know u will survive the panic. Rosie O'Donnell

LostTeacher Guest

well....i would love to start off my mondays with a slow cooked meal, and be able to freeze servings of it for the week. i think eventually i would have a nice selection of meals in my freezer to choose from. i have a larger one, and it's only me, so there should be a good portion of leftovers.

i guess i'll wait and see how it turns out today, whether i will be brave enough to do it more often. i think i will!

LT

Replies

As a busy mom, I can't stay sane without my crockpots! In the cooler months I use at least one of them 2-3 times per week. I have never had any problem with leaving them. I do have an electric roaster that I wouldn't leave for more than an hour or so, but it cooks alot differently than the crockpot, and I thin it's more of a food quality issue than safety.

Good luck!

LostTeacher Guest

well, i left mine on low for 10 hours today, and it turned out beautifully!
    nothing burned down, nothing was wrecked...all i got was a wonderful smell of cooking veggies and roast when i walked in the door.......which i never get anymore now that i living on my own!!
    totally fantastic, would recommend to anyone.

LT

I bought my smaller Rival crockpot in 1976, Yikes!!! It has travelled with me to 3 countries and still performs perfectly. I always leave it on at night but then I don't have any small critters that might take an interest in it.
    Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime
    4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115
    Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

Replies

Lightbulb Re: Are Crockpots really safe?

I've had crockpots throughout the years...lots of positives; no negatives.

But if you really want to be reassured, why not call your local fire department and see what their opinion is. (I bet it's reassuring.)
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

While crockpots may or may not be safe to leave on unattended, they should occasionally be tested to ascertain whether or not they achieve and maintain sufficient heat. Some never do right from the beginning, others lose their ability to get hot enough as they age and can cause serious food poisoning from bacterial growth during cooking.
    “May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night. May the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being. May you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life.”

I've only experienced/heard of two problems with a crockpot.

1st - when my oldest son was about 18 months old, I had cleaned the crockpot and left it on the cabinet. Unobservant mother that I am, I left the cord hanging over the edge. He pulled the cord, and the crockpot left a nice gash on his head.

#2 - I have heard of a child who pulled a hot crockpot on himself and got 2nd degree burns from the hot food inside spilling on him.

Both of these accidents could have been prevented by monitoring or putting the crock well out of reach. No problems with burning houses down though!
    Nita