Thread: Help me use less points in my dairy servings, please!

1. Default Help me use less points in my dairy servings, please!

I cannot drink straight milk, be it plain or chocolate. My body doesn't like it! I don't like cottage cheese, or most yogurts. I WAS using Laughing Cow cheese wedges as my dairy. (two wedges = 1.5 ounces, for 2 points and one dairy serving, double it to get two servings and that's 4 points for dairy daily.) But then I was told here on BCB that Laughing Cow cannot be counted as dairy. (I had thought it fell under the "cheese" category fine.) So, I purchased a bar of Kraft Colby cheese, and was planning on eating 1.5 ounces per serving. Well, double that since I need two dairy servings a day, and it's SEVEN points for my dairy. Does that sound excessive? I know it sure as heck looks like a lot of cheese, but it's no more cheese that I had with Laughing Cow.

I really need some help/guidance in finding something suitable for my dairy requirements, it's my biggest hurdle. Please help!

~Catbite (Dee Dee)
    SW 247

1st goal is to lose 5% of my body weight, 12.5 lbs!

2. Default Re: Help me use less points in my dairy servings, please!

Have you tried 2% cheese? I usually use either Kraft shredded 2% cheese (2 pts for 1/2 cup) or 2% Cracker Barrell slices (2 pts as well). Also, I know polly-o makes an excellent 2% string cheese for 2 pts.

Also, can you get milk in through cereal?
    Kelly

SW: 184.8
    RSW: 179.4 (4/11/07)
    CW: 163 (-1 7/20/07)
    PGW: 130

Replies

Default Re: Help me use less points in my dairy servings, please!

Okay, here is how I get dairy in (and yes, I know you said you don't like yogurt, but I'm including it in my list)
    • Yogurt - 2 points for one dairy serving
    • Non fat latte (12 oz) - 2 points for one dairy serving
    • WWer smoothie - one point when made with water for one dairy serving, three points when made with nonfat milk for two dairy servings
    • Lofat or nonfat cheese. I like Lifetime Monterey Jack, which is one point for 1 1/2 oz. I also like Cabot 75% cheddar which is two points for 1 1/2 oz. I use the cheese in scrambled eggs, in sandwiches, melted on a one point English muffin, in burritos, generally just added to various things I'm eating.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

4. Default Re: Help me use less points in my dairy servings, please!

Thanks for both answers. No, I am not a cereal/milk person. My body does not like milk. Once in a while I'll have a latte (which I sometimes regret) and I tried to do the milk thing again (drinking straight milk) last week, thinking MAYBE that my past troubles were my imagination. They weren't, it was bad.

I do like one kind of yogurt, Dannon La Crema strawberry, which I think is 3 points. I might will try that. Also, where do I find the WW smoothies? I am using the WWAH kit, so I don't attend meetings. Is this something I can buy in a store, or online?

Thanks for the other cheese suggestions, I will look them over. I haven't been adding cheese to too many things, adding them to eggs as mentioned sounds nice.
    SW 247

Replies

I noticed that most of the Fat Free plain yogurts around here are now 140 cal./cup which is 3 Points, instead of the old 110 cal./cup which was 2 Points. They appear to be adding more "nonfat milk solids" and "whey concentrate" etc. - I haven't checked whether that increases the calcium / protein (aka "dairy") so you might be able to use less and count a full dairy. All I know is 3 Points is too much for one dairy (you might as well drink whole milk)! I'm thinking of getting a yogurt maker...

The ones that are lower contain pectin, which doesn't work for some things I want to do with it.

For flavored yogurts be careful, the package is very often not a whole cup and therefore not a whole dairy serving even though a lot of buddies do count it that way. Some of them are as little as 1/2 of a dairy.

Ricotta cheese is a lot of dairy for your Points and not milk. It's a finer texture than cottage cheese.

Check your labels!
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies

If your body doesn't like milk (either intolerance or allergy) don't make it take milk.

I believe (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that WW now includes Soy Milk in their dairy section. Might be worth looking into.
    Tanya
    Starting fresh every day

Replies

Calcium fortified soy milk counts as dairy under the late 2006 changes. (Check your labels, many soy milks are not calcium fortified.)
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!

Replies

The WWer smoothie mixes are only available at WWer centers or if you are a paying online subscriber. However, in most locations you don't have to be a meeting attendee to buy products at the WWer centers.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

9. Default Re: Help me use less points in my dairy servings, please!

I haven't had the problems with cheese that I do with milk, I have no idea what the difference is in my body, why it one works and the other doesn't. I've never tried soy, except for soy nuts and somehow I doubt those count. But, I will look into any and all suggestions to find what will work for me! Would a local grocery have the WW smoothies?
    SW 247

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by catbite7
    Would a local grocery have the WW smoothies?
    Not the packets. They are only available at the meeting centers.

Here is the list, from the Eat Wisely booklet, of what makes a milk serving. There is something called a "reduced-calorie dairy shake" on the list. I'm not exactly sure what that is, probably something like Alba mix or maybe Carnation Instant Breakfast. You could find those at the grocery store.

What provides a serving of milk?
    [This list is for the Flex Plan]
    Milk, fat-free, reduced fat, or whole, 1 cup (8 oz) or powder, 1/3 cup

Soy milk, calcium fortified, 1 cup (8 oz)

Cappucino unsweetened, made with aft-free, low-fat, or whole milk, 16 fl. oz.
    Cheese

- Cottage cheese, fat free, 1%, 2%, or regular, 2 cups
    - Cheese, hard or semi-soft, any type, fat-free, low-fat, or regular, 1-1/2 oz.

- Ricotta, fat-free, part-skim, or whole, cup
    Dairy shake, reduced-calorie, 1 packet
    Latte, unsweetened, made with fat-free, low-fat, or whole milk, 12 fl. oz.
    Pudding, fat-free. sugar-free mix (made with fat-free milk) 1 cup
    Yogurt, plain, flavored, fat-free, low-fat, or regular, 1 cup
    Weight Watchers Smoothie, made with water, 1 serving

Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Replies

I thought what counts as a "dairy serving" was the same for Flex or Core.

Not all of the dairy items above are "Core foods" so if you are following Core you would have to count accordingly.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    My pictures!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by nancyny
    I thought what counts as a "dairy serving" was the same for Flex or Core.
    Basically they are the same. The differences, as shown in the Eat Wisely book, are that in order to be Core and not have to count the points, the mikl, cheese and yogurts have to be nonfat.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Replies

If you try soy milk, the Silk brand plain light comes in at about 1 point per a one cup serving because of the fiber content. I am not sure if it has added calcium though...

I like the FF cheese slices, 2 for 1 pt and Smoothies made with WW smoothie mix or Alba, 1 pt.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne
    Basically they are the same. The differences, as shown in the Eat Wisely book, are that in order to be Core and not have to count the points, the mikl, cheese and yogurts have to be nonfat.
    I think the distinction is what counts for Points (and now many Points) versus what counts as a "dairy serving" for the purposes of your 2 or 3 dairy servings a day.

On Flex, you count the Points for everything, on Core you count the Points according to the Core rules of what is Core (no count) and what you count for Points. Either way, what counts toward your 2 or 3 dairy servings per day is the same. 1 cup of milk or yogurt, or the other things listed above.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    My pictures!

I also cannot drink milk. I use this recipe for a WW blizzard. DH and I love them, and some days it is the only way I get my milk servings in

www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51726
    Karen
    Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why can!

I will drink milk, but I would much rather "eat" a milk serving. I add 2 slices of the 2% kraft wrapped cheese slices to sandwiches or Flat Out wraps for 2 points and I count it as one milk serving. I have also been adding a slice or two over a Lean Cuisine entree such as the beans and rice, or even the spaghetti one and it is very good. The WW Key Lime yogurt is also very good with a graham cracker crumbled on top. Sort of like a piece of Key Lime Pie.
    Janice
    Ya-Ya Name: Duchess Five and Dime

SW243/CW219/GW137

There are only 2 choices: make progress or make excuses.

Some succeed because they are destined; others succeed because they are DETERMINED.

18. Default Re: Help me use less points in my dairy servings, please!

Quote Originally Posted by 140karen
    I also cannot drink milk. I use this recipe for a WW blizzard. DH and I love them, and some days it is the only way I get my milk servings in

www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51726
    I just made this, and it's YUMMY! Okay, now I have to wait and see how my body responds to it, but it was a nice way to get in a milk serving. And so MUCH! I plan to try a lot of the other suggestions in this thread as well.
    SW 247

Replies

Have you ever tried lactose free milk... sounds like you may have a lactose intolerance.
    Laura Elizabeth
    Born May 7th 2005
    A miracle blessing indeed.