Thread: Indian Food Help! Points...

1. Default Indian Food Help! Points...

Hello!

I have to go to a work related dinner tonight at an Indian food restaurant. Anyone have info on points for indian dishes? Suggestions on what to order? My usual fare of fried samosas and gooey sag paneer isn't gonna cut it now that I am on WW.

Thanks!

2. Default Re: Indian Food Help! Points...

I hate to tell you this ...but most indian food at restaurants are not pointfriendly . Rotis( flat bread) without butter and channa masala/Rajma masala( garbanzo beans/kidney beans) or plain dhal might be a good option.

Avoid puris( deep fried bread) or naan with butter. The Raitha ( curd based salad) is normally made with whole milk yogurt. And I do get the saag paneer but give all the paneer to my kids. Without the paneer, I would estimate it to be around 4 pts/cup

Plain steamed rice is also good( 3 pts for a cup)

Hope this was helpful...

Replies

Default Re: Indian Food Help! Points...

Saag is actually one of your safer bets, at only 6 points per cup (must be all that spinach keeping points lower!). But add the naan and rice and golobjuman and the points rack up quickly. I don't know of any way to do indian food keeping the points really low, unfortunately, but it's worth the flex points every once in a while!
    Nikki
    SW: 183 (1/8/06)
    CW:145
    WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)
    next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

Replies

Saag paneer is 6 points/cup. Aloo-gobhi is 2 points/cup. Beef masala is 5 points/cup. Lamb masala is 6 points/cup. Tandoori shrimp is 4 points/cup. Chicken vindaloo is 8 points/cup. Beef or chicken curry is 10 points/cup. Samosas are 3 points each. It might not be easy, but you can do it.

5. Default Re: Indian Food Help! Points...

this is great! thanks so much.

i think i will go with some steamed rice and maybe a tandooori chicken breast (4 pts.). believe me i want the sag and all that but my meeting is tomorrow and i don't want to run the risk of blowing a good week. thanks again!

I am trying to figure out WW smart points for aloo gobi, mattar paneer, and kadai paneer. Thanks!

Replies

If you make it yourself, it would be pretty easy to figure the points by adding up the points of the various ingredients and then dividing by the servings. Restaurant food would be harder because there are so many variations.

I did a quick Google search and this is what I found. The list is about half way down the page.
    https://www.weddingsonline.ie/discus...d-t184754.html
    If you google the points for Indian food (maybe even the individual dishes} there is a lot of information out there.

Good luck. I love the stuff too.
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec 2010
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Thank you for all of the info about Indian food and points. I love Indian food and just joined WW, so wasn't sure what I could eat.