Thread: Jumbo Banana Muffins - 2 points!

xserene_queenx Guest

Default Jumbo Banana Muffins - 2 points!

Hello! This is my first post on BCB, but I've been lurking around here for awhile and trying all of your wonderful recipes which have helped me tons on my WW journey. Anyways, I love banana muffins, and I came across this jumbo banana muffin recipe, loaded with tons of fat, haha. So I tweaked it to make it low in points using a recipe calculator. So here it is...

Jumbo Banana Muffins

Ingredients:
    3 bananas(1 1/2 cups)
    1/4 cup and 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
    3/4 cup splenda
    1/2 cup eggbeaters or 4 egg whites
    1/3 cup skim milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp. baking powder
    3/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400
    2. Mash bananas.
    3. Stir together with applesauce, splenda, eggbeaters, milk and vanilla.
    4. Add 1 tbsp. baking powder 3/4 tsp. salt.
    5. Stir only until moist. Spray a jumbo muffin tin with pam and fill batter to the top. Bake at 400 degrees about 20 minutes or golden.
    Yields: 4-6 muffins
    4 muffins - 2 points each
    6 muffins - 1.3 points each

I haven't tried these muffins yet, so I'm not sure how they'll taste yet..and they don't use flour so I'm curious to know if they'll have a chewy texture or be hard as a brick and end up as hole patches for the wall, as my dad likes to say. I'm hoping they taste and turn out good, cause that will be one HUGE portion for 2 points! They just seem to good to be true. lol
    Last edited by xserene_queenx; 02-04-2007 at 02:56 AM.

xserene_queenx Guest

Default Re: Jumbo Banana Muffins - 2 points!

Haven't tried this recipe yet, but I'm trying another recipe I found on allrecipes.com and tweaked to my liking..with the changes that I made, it comes to 1.4 points for 12 muffins, and 3 points for 6 large muffins.

Light Banana Muffins

1 cup flour
    1 tbs baking power
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    3 ripe bananas
    2 tbs light brown sugar
    2 tbs splenda
    1/4 cup eggbeaters or 1 egg
    1/4 cup fat free sour cream
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
    2. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together banana, sugar, egg and vanilla. Stir in the sour cream. Stir banana mixture into flour until just combined. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool before serving. For best flavor, place in an airtight container or bag overnight.

I was in question of the other recipe since it wasn't reviewed by anyone on the website which I found, but this recipe got pretty good reviews, so I shall experiment and hope for the best! I'll let you guys know how they turned out when I make them.

xserene_queenx Guest

I made the recipe above yesterday and had a muffin for breakfast this morning and boy are these yummy. They're really moist and have a wonderful banana flavor. I think all they need is just a bit more sugar and they'd be perfect. This one is definitely a keeper. ^_^ I'll try the other muffin recipe whenever I get some extra ripe bananas again.

Okay I tried the first muffin recipe you posted and the tops were good but the rest of the muffin was to mushy for me. I don't know if they needed to cook longer or what but I didn't want them to burn so I took them out. I will try the second recipe the next time I have more ripe bananas.

**Okay so I discovered on Valentine's Day why the muffins didn't seem like they cooked long enough. My oven wasn't properly working. I put a whole chicken in the oven and after an hour went to see how it was coming along and it was still raw and looked just like it did when I put it in the oven. I have a gas stove and somehow the line was kinked. So I will try these again this weekend.
    Last edited by flcountrygirl; 02-16-2007 at 01:55 PM.
    Flcountrygirl

SW:176

CW:142

1st GW:150 1/29/07

2nd GW:145 3/19/07

40 pounds GONE, GONE, GONE!!!!

5. Default Re: Jumbo Banana Muffins - 2 points!

There's no flour in the first recipe? Is this right?
    52, 5ft 4in
    HW 202/CW 175.4/GW 147

Quote Originally Posted by BronwynRose
    There's no flour in the first recipe? Is this right?
    Yep that's right. The muffins rise just like normal.
    Flcountrygirl

SW:176

CW:142

1st GW:150 1/29/07

2nd GW:145 3/19/07

40 pounds GONE, GONE, GONE!!!!

xserene_queenx Guest

I tried the first muffin recipe I posted after I had tried the second one, and I found that they were too mushy as well and just had a weird texture overall. The second recipe was alright, but it wasn't moist enough for me. So, I found another banana muffin and tried it, substituting in different ingredients to lower the points, and these are possibly the most moist, almost fat free banana muffin I have had.

Banana Muffins
    Serves: 7

Ingredients:
    3 ripe bananas
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1/4 cup splenda
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 cup self-rising flour*
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
    1. Grease or line 7 muffin cups.
    2. In large bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
    3. In a medium bowl, mash bananas. Add sugars, egg, vanilla cinnamon, and applesauce. Stir well.
    4. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour liquid mixture into it, stiring until JUST combined.
    3. Divide evenly among the muffin cups, then bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until done.

*If you do not have self-rising flour, combine 1 cup flour minus 2 tsp, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.
    **For higher domed muffins, preheat oven to 425, then turn down to original baking temperature after 7-8 minutes.

The points value does not change if you decide to make 6 muffins instead of 7, but my tins were already overflowing with batter by the time I got to my sixth one, and I still had left over batter.