Thread: Hot Wing - Low point alternatives or recipes?

1. Default Hot Wings - Low point alternatives or recipes?

This is my biggest craving and they are so high in points, 3 each if I remember correctly. Now, I can budget 8 points to satisfy a real pizza craving, but just 3 wings would be 9 points and that is not nearly enough. Any recipes or ideas? I know chicken breast and hotsauce are low points. Anyone have ideas to make boneless buffalo wings in the oven that actually taste good? It sounds awful to me! Thanks for the help.
    -Christina

1st Goal: Size 18

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.
    -Dr. Phil

Default Re: Hot Wing - Low point alternatives or recipes?

Hungry Howies sells Buffalo Wings and they are 1 pt a wing, if I remember correctly. That is a pretty good treat!

And Frank's Red Hot Sauce is pretty Buffalo Saucy. I saw the other day that someone uses it as a dressing for thier salad.
    251.6/235.4/229 Getting Back on track and sticking to it!
    "If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

futeki Guest

I'm having the same craving right now...I think my plan is to take some boneless chicken breast, coat it in egg whites and crushed up Fiber One cereal. Then I'll bake it and finish with some wing sauce. It's the same concept as the "fried" shrimp recipe posted on the Hungry Girl website. The Fiber One gives the meat a really nice crunch.

4. Default Re: Hot Wing - Low point alternatives or recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by futeki
    I'm having the same craving right now...I think my plan is to take some boneless chicken breast, coat it in egg whites and crushed up Fiber One cereal. Then I'll bake it and finish with some wing sauce. It's the same concept as the "fried" shrimp recipe posted on the Hungry Girl website. The Fiber One gives the meat a really nice crunch.
    Let me know how it turns out!
    -Christina

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.
    -Dr. Phil

Replies

morning star farms makes some veggies buffalo wings, i think they are like 4 points for 5 "wings".. they are pretty good.. give 'em a try.
    Kelly

HW- 194 after having the twins
    CW- 174.8
    GW- 140 ( for now! will go down as I get closer!)

futeki Guest

Quote Originally Posted by christinadei
    Let me know how it turns out!
    Okay, just finished making/eating them. I used a small boneless chicken breast, cut into 5 pieces (2 points). I crushed up a half cup of Fiber One cereal (.5 points). I dipped the chicken in an egg white to help the cereal stick to it, then baked it at 350 for 6 minutes on each side. Then I shook it in a container with a tablespoon of Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Sauce and used a teaspoon of fat-free ranch on the side for dipping. I calculated the sauce and the ranch to be about .5 points (You really only need a tiny amount of each). So, for 3 points, it came out really well. My only complaint was a slight lack of crunchiness. Next time I make it, I won't crush the cereal up as fine as I did this time, and that should fix the problem. Give it a try!

suzy-loozy Guest

HHhmmmm.....sounds good to me......it satifies three things I crave....Buffalo Wings, Creamy dressing and hot sauce!

Woo Hoo!

Replies

I just had a thought, if you do try the morning star farms things, we dip them in franks red hot, because they dont have much spice on their own.
    Kelly

HW- 194 after having the twins
    CW- 174.8
    GW- 140 ( for now! will go down as I get closer!)

9. Default Re: Hot Wing - Low point alternatives or recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by futeki
    Okay, just finished making/eating them. I used a small boneless chicken breast, cut into 5 pieces (2 points). I crushed up a half cup of Fiber One cereal (.5 points). I dipped the chicken in an egg white to help the cereal stick to it, then baked it at 350 for 6 minutes on each side. Then I shook it in a container with a tablespoon of Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Sauce and used a teaspoon of fat-free ranch on the side for dipping. I calculated the sauce and the ranch to be about .5 points (You really only need a tiny amount of each). So, for 3 points, it came out really well. My only complaint was a slight lack of crunchiness. Next time I make it, I won't crush the cereal up as fine as I did this time, and that should fix the problem. Give it a try!
    Thanks for letting us know how they turned out. I'm going to try them! They would probably be great on a salad w/ff ranch too!
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

10. Default Re: Hot Wing - Low point alternatives or recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by kekka90
    I just had a thought, if you do try the morning star farms things, we dip them in franks red hot, because they dont have much spice on their own.
    These sound good, quick and easy, three things I like. I will try them, I haven't been too big a fan of fake chicken, but they are worth a shot. Maybe I can find some other frozen chicken fingers or nuggets that are low in points. You've certainly inspired me to check out the freezer isle. Thanks!
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

I have a great recipe for buffalo chicken dip.

1 8 oz block cream cheese softened. (low fat or fat free)
    1/2 cup ranch dressing (low fat or fat free)
    3/4 cup franks red hot
    4 oz shredded cheddar (low fat or fat free)
    2 cooked chicken breasts chopped or shredded (i put in a pie dish, cover, nuke for 7 minutes and shred with forks or fingers)

*1-2 T olive oil if using all low fat or fat free -optional

mix cream cheese, ranch and hot sauce and stir with wosk or mixer until mostly smooth. fold on cheese and chicken. spoon into dish and bake for 20-30 mintes until slightly brown and bubbly. serve with baked scoops and celery.

the more fat free stuff you use, the less brown but more chalky it will be. my suggestion for using fat free is to add some health olive oil to it.

you can obviously make this into smaller portions if you would like.

for these use light melted butter and franks red hot mixture:

skin some drumsticks and cook on grill. toss with franks red hot and light butter mixture.

broil boneless chicken breast, cut into chunks and toss with sauce.

you can use 2 T maries light blue cheese dressing, it is very good.
    [COLOR="purple"]Melissa

HW 236.5
    Restart date - 8/13/10
    Restart weight- 213.6
    CW 198.4
    GW 160-170
    Lowest weight 168 Feb, 2008

12. Default Re: Hot Wing - Low point alternatives or recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by melissa6771
    I have a great recipe for buffalo chicken dip.

1 8 oz block cream cheese softened. (low fat or fat free)
    1/2 cup ranch dressing (low fat or fat free)
    3/4 cup franks red hot
    4 oz shredded cheddar (low fat or fat free)
    2 cooked chicken breasts chopped or shredded (i put in a pie dish, cover, nuke for 7 minutes and shred with forks or fingers)

*1-2 T olive oil if using all low fat or fat free -optional

mix cream cheese, ranch and hot sauce and stir with wosk or mixer until mostly smooth. fold on cheese and chicken. spoon into dish and bake for 20-30 mintes until slightly brown and bubbly. serve with baked scoops and celery.

the more fat free stuff you use, the less brown but more chalky it will be. my suggestion for using fat free is to add some health olive oil to it.

you can obviously make this into smaller portions if you would like.

for these use light melted butter and franks red hot mixture:

skin some drumsticks and cook on grill. toss with franks red hot and light butter mixture.

broil boneless chicken breast, cut into chunks and toss with sauce.

you can use 2 T maries light blue cheese dressing, it is very good.
    Thanks for the recipes. Have you tried the dip? It's a little different. I didn't think about just cooking chicken breast chunks and dipping them in hot sauce. I'll have to try it.

Wow, why didn't I think of Marie's Light Blue Cheese? Marie's is our favorite, I haven't tried the light. I'll definatley at that to my grocery list. This definately would make a great buffalo chicken salad. Mmmm, maybe for dinner tomorrow night?
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

M_red Guest

I just bought a product called wing it my grocery store today (haven't tried it yet) No sugar, 0 cal for 1 tsp. Emeril also had a similar one too. I will let you know when I try it how it is. I also posted a recipe for blue cheese dressing under the salads forum this week... it was good!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by kekka90
    morning star farms makes some veggies buffalo wings, i think they are like 4 points for 5 "wings".. they are pretty good.. give 'em a try.
    This is what I was going to suggest. I just had some for lunch. They are spicy. If you like things to burn your mouth out, you'll have to add hot sauce. I have to dip them in a low-point sauce to take away some heat. (That doesnt' mean they're terribly strong)
    Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217
    CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

15. Default Re: Hot Wing - Low point alternatives or recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by M_red
    I just bought a product called wing it my grocery store today (haven't tried it yet) No sugar, 0 cal for 1 tsp. Emeril also had a similar one too. I will let you know when I try it how it is. I also posted a recipe for blue cheese dressing under the salads forum this week... it was good!
    Is it a hot sauce? I'll check out the recipe for blue cheese. I love blue cheese!
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

the buffalo chicken dip is to die for. I am a hairdresser and keep copies of it typed up at my station. everyone that takes it comes back saying how much of a hit it was at parties.

I make it low fat with olive oil at home and have with baked scoops. If you like buffalo chicken, you will love this.
    [COLOR="purple"]Melissa

HW 236.5
    Restart date - 8/13/10
    Restart weight- 213.6
    CW 198.4
    GW 160-170

M_red Guest

The Wing it Description on the bottle says: " Authentic Buffalo Style Chicken Wing Sauce"

There is a website listed... www.wingit.com haven't checked it out yet. Remember I have no idea yet if it is good...just looks good! :-) Unfortunately I am on the road for the rest of the week so will not get to try it out til the weekend.

18. Default Re: Hot Wing - Low point alternatives or recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by M_red
    Where is the salad forum?
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

M_red Guest

Might be easier to post the link :-) Here you go:

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=151650

oops, sorry I posted this thinking you guys were looking for a sauce recipe not dressing...........sorry

all you need for wing sauce is light butter and franks red hot. It is very good and you can control what you put in it (light butter instead of full fat or margarine)

on the bottle I think it says 1/3 cup melted butter to 1/2 cup hot sauce. The other good thing is you can buy it in BJs cheap, 2 /23 oz bottles in a package (not sure on price) or a gallon for like $7.
    [COLOR="purple"]Melissa

HW 236.5
    Restart date - 8/13/10
    Restart weight- 213.6
    CW 198.4
    GW 160-170

M_red Guest

I just wanted to follow-up and let you know the "Wing it" sauce was yummy! I used it on some skinless legs with the blue cheese dressing recipe I posted below.