Thread: Jiffy Meatballs or Porcupine Meatballs

Replies

Default P-Cooker Jiffy Meatballs or Porcupine Meatballs

I made the Porcupine Meatballs - so I replaced the bread crumbs w/ the brown Minute Rice (see last paragraph for that transformation)

Jiffy Meatballs with Tomato Sauce – serves 4
    By Lorna Sass - “Pressure Perfect” pps.

(* My variations were mostly in the sauce. I used a 32 oz jar of Classic Garlic and Basil Spaghetti Sauce plus 15 oz tomato sauce, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 can mushroom-drained, about 1/4 cup dried parsley, and Splenda to taste (about 4-5 packets for my taste buds.) I left out the onions, bell pepper and fennel seed as family members don't like them. It was good. Next time, I might just go with Tomato Soup - just like my grandma used to make. Diane)

This recipe offers the time-saving convenience of cooking meatballs while you are making the tomato sauce. Serve the sauced meatballs on their own or over pasta, rice, or soft polenta

for the meatballs
    1 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix (a prepackaged combination of ground beef, veal, and pork) or all beef chuck
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup grated romano cheese
    1/3 cup seasoned dried bread crumbs
    1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons milk or water
    1/2 teaspoon salt

5 minutes high pressure

for the tomato sauce
    1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup coarsely chopped onions
    1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
    2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
    1/2 cup red wine
    1/2 cup water
    One can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes in puree OR one can (28 oz plum tomatoes (with liquid), plus one can (6 oz) tomato paste
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
    1/4 cup grated romano or parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish and to pass at the table
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 to 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley (optional)
    In a large bowl, use your hands to combine all the ingredients for the meatballs. Moisten your palms with water and shape the mixture into meatballs with a generous 1-inch diameter.
    To prepare the Tomato Sauce, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 4-quart or larger cooker. Add the onions, green pepper, and fennel seeds, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring fre¬quently, until the onions begin to soften, about 1 minute. Stir in the wine, taking care to scrape up any browned bits sticking to the bottom of the cooker. Boil until the wine is reduced by half, about 1 minute.
    Stir in the water, then add the meatballs. Pour the tomatoes and their puree over the meatballs. (If using whole plum tomatoes, crush them in your hand and distribute heaping table-spoonsful of the tomato paste on top.) Do not stir after adding the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the garlic.
    Lock the lid in place. Over high heat bring to high pressure. (Since the cooker is fairly full, it may take longer than usual to come up to pressure.) Reduce the heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat. Quick-release the pressure by setting the cold running water (Use the quick release valve on electric P-cookers, DO NOT run under water!).
    Split a meatball in half to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. If the meatballs require more cooking, cover the cooker and simmer until they are done. Gently stir in the cheese and the remaining tablespoon of oil, if needed, to give the sauce a rich finish. Season to taste with sugar, red pepper flakes, and basil (if using). Serve in large shallow bowls. Garnish each portion with cheese and pass a bowl of extra cheese at the table.
    Variation
    * Add 6 ounces sliced mushrooms after adding the water.
    Transformations (Follow basic recipe except as noted.)
    * PORCUPINE MEATBALLS: Omit bread crumbs and mix 1 cup cooked white rice or 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice (such as Minute BROWN Rice) into meatball mixture. Increase salt to 3/4 teaspoon.
    Last edited by dmarkey; 01-21-2007 at 03:19 AM.
    Diane

237 - 1/3/6
    198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"