Thread: Pressure Cooker: BBQ Chicken with Beans and Corn

Replies

Default Pressure Cooker: BBQ Chicken with Beans and Corn

Pressure Cooker "Barbecued" Chicken with Beans and Corn
    by Lorna Sass - The Pressured Cook, pp 86
    (If you have a pressure cooker...buy this book!)
    Core plus 1.2 to 1.6 points per serving
    Serves 6-8

I used a whole cup of BBQ sauce, at 60 calories per 2 TBS (no fat, no fiber) for a total of 9.6 points. For 6 servings, thatís 1.6 points per serving. For 8 servings, thatís 1.2 points per serving. You could make this recipe virtually zero points with home made sugar free sauce. Trust me; this recipe is WORTH a couple of APís/WPAís. Serve it over BULGUR!

1 TBS olive oil
    2 cups coarsely chopped onions
    1 cup water
    4 lbs chicken parts, skinned and well trimmed
    ĺ to 1 cup prepared BBQ sauce, or more to taste
    3 cups cooked black beans, or one 1 pound 15 ounce can, drained and rinsed
    3 TBS corn meal or instant polenta
    1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 Ĺ cups fresh or frozen corn (rinse away any ice crystals)
    1 TBS mustard (optional)
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat the oil in the cooker over medium-high heat. Cook the onions until slightly softened, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Stir in the water, taking care to scrape up any browned bits sticking to the bottom of the cooker. Add a few pieces of chicken and smear some barbecue sauce on top. Continue stacking chicken pieces and coating each batch with sauce. Do not stir.

Lock the lid in place. Over high heat, bring to high pressure. Reduce the heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 11 minutes. Quick-release the pressure. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow excess steam to escape.

Set the cooker over medium-high heat and bring the stew to a boil. Stir in the black beans, cornmeal, and red pepper and cook over medium heat at a gentle boil, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Add the corn and cook another minute or two to finish thickening the sauce. During the time adjust seasonings with mustard and/or a bit more barbeque sauce and some salt and pepper, if needed, to intensify or balance the flavors. Serve in large bowls or deep plates over brown rice or bulgur.

Lorna advises to use a BBQ sauce that is tomato puree or tomato paste based, not vinegar based. I used Bullís Eye Original and it was tasty. She also says not to worry if the sauce looks very thin when you first open up the cooker lid; it thickens up once you add the cornstarch. If the sauce is too sweet, add some mustard. You can marinate the chicken in barbecue sauce overnight Ė I did not.
    Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot
    SW 196.2 - 7/3/6
    WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!
    CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!
    Lifetime - 2/12/7
    My Chart Before & After
    Simul justus et peccator

Replies

Default Re: Pressure Cooker: BBQ Chicken with Beans and Corn

This was a huge hit with the familly!
    Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot
    SW 196.2 - 7/3/6
    WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!
    CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!
    Lifetime - 2/12/7
    My Chart Before & After
    Simul justus et peccator

3. Default Re: Pressure Cooker: BBQ Chicken with Beans and Corn

Found this book on sale this week and made this tonight. When I saw it in the book, I remembered having seen it here. Anyway, all I can say is: yum, yum, yum!!

I used a barbecue sauce that was 1 pt for 2 TBSP, and I used 3/4 cup, so I'm counting 1 point per serving (1/6 recipe). As for alternatives in the recipe, I used instant polenta and I did add 1 TBSP dijon mustard. I also used 2 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, instead of parts with bones. Served it over core ww egg noodles.

I recommend it highly as a Core + dish.

Thanks, Veronica!!
    Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)