Thread: Changes to the program?

silverose1209 Guest

Default Changes to the program?

I was a member of WW up til November. Back then they were discussing making some changes, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about these changes..What were they? How do they work? I wll be rejoining in the enxt few weeks. Thanks
    Amy

Default Re: Changes to the program?

The did come out with a new way to figure your target points for flex, not sure whether there were any changes to core -

NEW WW FORMULA

1. Are you:
    Female?.........score 2
    Male?...........score 8
    Female and Breastfeeding?.....score 12

2. How old are you?
    17-26..............score 4
    27-37..............score 3
    38-47..............score 2
    48-58..............score 1
    over 58............score 0

3. What do you weigh?
    Enter the 1st 2 digits of your weight in pounds.

4. How tall are you?
    under 5'1.........score 0
    5'1 to 5'10.......score 1
    over 5'10.........score 2

5. Do you spend most of your day:
    sitting down?........score 0
    Occasionally sitting, but mainly standing?..... score 2
    Walking most of the time?......score 4
    Doing physically hard work most of the time?....score 6

6. Do you want to:
    Lose weight?...........score 0
    Maintain your current weight?....score 4

If your numbers add up to more than 44, you only eat the 44, and if the number is lower than 18, you eat the 18.
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Replies

For anyone who was following the program before the changes were made did they adjust their points intake to reflect the new changes in the program? I followed WW for the first half of the year on my own I fell off and decided I needed to attend the meetings for the accountability. Now that I have rejoined my points have changed from the 26 I was following before to 31 and I think thats a huge jump so I was curious if people were sticking to the points they followed before or the new point scale?
    ~*Maura*~

Recommitted on 1-25-10
    First Goal: 40 pounds by 6-1-10

I would go from eating 20 points in a day until 24? This just seems odd to me...lol, has anyone noticed a difference after changing from the old plan to the new plan? I'm just curious as to the benefits of the new plan vs. the old plan? Although the points increase definitely makes me happy i'm still a bit hesitant.

Replies

One of the reasons some people do not ultimately succeed is that they try to "diet" and to them that means eating too little and depriving themselves- but for the lifetime and lifestyle of it all it is important to eat proper amounts of healthy food, not to undereat and not to deprive yourself of any food group- younger and more active people need to eat more than others- so the quizz makes sense and you would be better off to follow it like it is written and see what happens- you may be pleasantly surprised- remember that ww is target plus activity pts plus weekly points allowance in that order, it is following the 8 healthy guidelines and journalling- and you could lose weight doing all of that. Go with the flow, Enjoy the jopurney and make it your permanent lifestyle. Good Luck
    316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here
    currently- you don't want to know

Replies

Eating more to lose seems counter intuitive.

This may help explain why we need to eat well not less to lose....
    CW

Low Calorie Dieting Originally posted to BFL Women</I>

There are several of us in this group who have struggled with eating disorders
    and compulsive exercise. We can tell you firsthand that you can't just keep
    cutting your calories lower and lower and exercising more and more. It looks
    good on paper, but in the real world it backfires in the worst way.

What happens when (this is going to sound familiar) you're eating 1100 calories
    a day, training for over an hour 7 days a week and your weight loss stops. Are
    you going to eat even less? Train even more? It becomes a no-win situation.

If I'm eating 1400 cals a day and training my guts out, pretty soon my body
    (which is generally smarter than me) is only going to burn 1400 cals a day in an
    attempt to conserve energy and save my life. So, well, darn. I'll cut it down to
    1250. I'll start losing again for a week or two, but pretty soon my body is only
    burning 1250. Then 1000, then 800 (been there). Before I know it my own
    metabolism has decided that I'm a complete jackass and has shut itself down
    completely. Now what? My body isn't burning any extra calories on its own. The
    only way I can create a calorie deficit at all is through more exercise. Only I
    don't have any energy, my entire body hurts, and everything turns purple when I
    stand up fast. Not a pretty state of affairs!

There's an alternative, of course. Instead of doing things to slow your
    metabolism down (starving, compulsive exercise), you can launch a plan to speed
    your metabolism up (BFL). Some things that contribute to a fast metabolism are:

1) Small, frequent meals. Every time you eat, your metabolism increases
    slightly. Eat 6 or 7 times a day and you'll burn more calories throughout the
    day.

2) Eat more protein. Not only does protein help support muscles, it's hard to
    digest. Nearly 30% of the protein calories you eat are burned up just to digest
    and use the protein.

3) Do intense exercise early in the morning so that you burn calories at a
    higher rate all day.

4) Lift weights and eat enough to build muscle. The more muscle you have, the
    more calories you burn just sitting around on your ****. Post eating disorder,
    I've gained nearly 16 pounds of lean mass. Each new pound of muscle burns an
    additional 35-50 calories a day. That means I now burn 560-800 calories a day
    MORE than when I was starving overtrained diet ninny. And those aren't treadmill
    calories. I burn those when I have my feet up on the coffee table watching
    cartoons.

Really think about this. Plenty of us have reached our goals by becoming
    well-fed, well-trained, well-RESTED athletes. You mention people going 5 weeks
    without seeing results. They're not wasting time. They're setting themselves up
    for a lifetime of successful new habits. I pulled out my first challenge stats
    yesterday. I lost 3 pounds in 12 weeks. Failure? Nope. I lost 3/4 inch off each
    arm, 2 inches off each thigh, 1 3/4 inch off my hips, 2 inches off my waist, and
    2 inches off my abdomen. My body fat dropped from 20.3% to 15.1%. This while
    eating an average of 1,600 cals a day plus a full (VERY full) free day.

You have to ask yourself, do I want to change my way of life slowly and
    permanently so that I stay lean forever? Or do I want some insane crash diet,
    quick fix, compulsive exercise thing that I do for a few weeks and give up?
    Last edited by CW; 01-11-2007 at 01:12 PM.
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

Replies

OK, so let me get this straight: We recalculate our target points according to the formula, APs work the same and we are to eat them first as before, and we also have the 35 flex points per week as before, right?
    Restart: Sept. 4, 2006 (had DD)
    SW: 206.5 CW: 179.5 Change from last week: -2
    PPGW: 171 GW: 140
    10%: Apr. 30/07
    Current goal: halfway: 33lbs ~ 173.5
    BCBers on Facebook
    My Facebook profile

Replies

Yes Sarah, that's correct. For Flex the only thing that changed was how you figure your Target.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies

Great. Thanks! That's what I thought, but with everyone talking about it I wanted to be sure I had it right.
    Restart: Sept. 4, 2006 (had DD)
    SW: 206.5 CW: 179.5 Change from last week: -2
    PPGW: 171 GW: 140
    10%: Apr. 30/07
    Current goal: halfway: 33lbs ~ 173.5
    BCBers on Facebook
    My Facebook profile

Replies

question: are food VALUES the same, or for example, is an apple still the same amount of points (1 I think) and most veggies still free?
    Susie, 40, mom of 3...ages 10,8, and 2 1/2!
    ....sw/cw 225........I was active here about 5 years ago.
    Thinking it's time to get my feet wet again........scary, but time to just do it.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Sus E
    question: are food VALUES the same, or for example, is an apple still the same amount of points (1 I think) and most veggies still free?
    I'm pretty sure they are!
    Lori 2.0, new and improved!

Quote Originally Posted by Sus E
    Yes, points are still calculated with the same formula. All that's really changed is how you determine your target.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Hearts&Flowers Guest

I'm a lifetime member and have not been to a meeting in several months. Working my way back to goal on my own (with the help of this board).

I just read the new Weight Watcher magazine from cover to cover and noticed that they no longer say something is 4 points, but instead say 4 points value. What is the difference? Why have they done this??

I'm wondering if I should go back and pay for a meeting and get the new materials. Any suggestions?

As always, thanks buddies!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Hearts&Flowers
    I just read the new Weight Watcher magazine from cover to cover and noticed that they no longer say something is 4 points, but instead say 4 points value. What is the difference? Why have they done this??
    Probably for the same reason the Flex Points are now the Weekly Points allowance.

My guess? Marketing and focus groups.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Duchess Talks Too Much
    The did come out with a new way to figure your target points for flex, not sure whether there were any changes to core -

If your numbers add up to more than 44, you only eat the 44, and if the number is lower than 18, you eat the 18.
    So, you add these things up and then you have 35 more points to spread over the week? I am currently using an older system and it said I could eat 24-31 pts per day (I weight 208 lbs. and am 5' 7"). I limit myself to 29 points per day (quite a few I'd say).

Using this method, I get 28 points per day (plus a possible 7 more from the Flex points.) That only gives me a possible 35 points per day. This week (my first!!!) I only lost 0.4 lbs. I am NOT starving myself. What gives?

Did I figure something wrong?

Avarweth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by it'sme!
    Using this method, I get only 16.6 points per day (plus a possible 7 more from the Flex points.) That only gives me 23.6 points per day. I don't think I could get by eating so little. Thats a whole meal's worth for me!

Did I figure something wrong?
    Because the quiz gives you 16, and that's less than 18, you use the 18 instead. So with the flex points spread out, you'd get 25 a day. That's a bit better!

Also - can you make any changes to your job? I currently sit most of the time but I *could* stand and that would add to my daily points allowance. Can you do something similar?

EXCEPT - take a look at the quiz again. I think you might have computed things wrong - with 208 pounds and 5'7", I'm seeing your base daily points are likely in the mid-20s or so, not the 16 you found.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Avarweth
    Because the quiz gives you 16, and that's less than 18, you use the 18 instead. So with the flex points spread out, you'd get 25 a day. That's a bit better!

Also - can you make any changes to your job? I currently sit most of the time but I *could* stand and that would add to my daily points allowance. Can you do something similar?

EXCEPT - take a look at the quiz again. I think you might have computed things wrong - with 208 pounds and 5'7", I'm seeing your base daily points are likely in the mid-20s or so, not the 16 you found.
    You are right! My base number of points IS 28. But still - I can't imagine eating 7 extra points everyday. That's more food than I could possibly eat.
    I am definitely not someone who is danger of eating too little because I simply get too hungry! (I also LOVE to cook!)

As for my job, I'm a mom/supply teacher. Some days I run like crazy and others are more relaxed. I picked the second lowest activity level to be on the conservative side. After school starts again, I will be in the gym 3x per week and I'm hoping that combined with diet will actually help.

Replies

A couple thoughts for you.

You could figure your Target at the lower activity level and allow yourself Activity Points for your more active days.

Some people figure their Target every day .. using a higher Target on active days, and a lower one on their days off.

On days you exercise (are in the gym), you should figure Activity Points and use those.

Your Target is the minimum you should be eating on WW. If you are having trouble eating all of your Target Points, you might try adding in more points-dense foods such as dried fruits, nuts, peanut butter, full fat cheese, and the like. You don't have to add "junk."

BTW Flex Points average out to 5 per day, not 7. You get 35 per week.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    My pictures!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by nancyny
    BTW Flex Points average out to 5 per day, not 7. You get 35 per week.
    Oh my - the brain is going. I can't even do simple division anymore....
    I'm going to eat a bit more everyday. Thanks so much for your suggestions. Almonds are awesome and I LOVE peanut butter!

(keeping fingers crossed.....)

20. Default Re: Changes to the program?

I am confused. It really does not take much to confuse me though!! I have the WW materials that tell you how many points you can have based only on how much you weigh. Like if you weigh between 225-249 lbs, you get 28 pts. a day. I believe this is called the Turn Around Program with core and flex. Also, you get 35 flex points that can be used throughout a week.

In my materials it says that you can use the extra 35 flex points however you want to. You can add 5 points onto your daily points, or you can use them if you eat out and go over your pts. for a day, just add how ever many you go over for that day. Is this still correct? I am afraid that my materials are outdated, even though they are only a year or so old. If I use the formula that was posted on here, I get 29 pts. I think. Not sure if I calculated it right or not. I am 5ft. 5in and weigh 248 lbs and am not very active thru the day. Is it still ok just to use the weight method to get the daily pts?

Leesa, Just use the materials you have. It will be less confusing that way. The only thing that changed is how you calculate your target points. Everything else is the same.

In my area they are having free registration right now so you could go to one meeting and get the new books and have the new program explained to you if you want to follow the latest program.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189