Thread: Help Eggplant!!

Default Help Eggplant!!

Okay someone please help me. I am trying to make eggplant parmesan. I think that is what I am trying to make ha ha. But I am not sure what to use on the egg plant. Dont laugh, ha ha but really do I use the whole thing, Or do I only use part of it. I am not sure if I leave the skin on, or if I have to gout the middle where there are seeds. Help please. All I know is that I am suppose to cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices. Thanks.
    ~~~~~~ AMY ~~~~~~
    Lost 30.5, 38.5 more to go!!

SW: 194--Jan 9,2006
    CW: 163.5
    GW: 125

Default Re: Help Eggplant!!

Hi there,

It can be made with either skin or no skin. I think there are more vitamins in the skin, but it is usually more tender without. Some people dunk the eggplant in an eggwash and lightly bread with crumbs. More healthy without and you won't miss much. Next comes the sauce and the cheese. Good luck!

Replies

Try this one. It's always a big hit.

Eggplant Parmesan

by Chef Patsy Jamieson

Eggplant Parmesan EatingWell's makeover of a traditional eggplant Parmesan recipe

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 eggplants (about 2 pounds total)

* 3 egg whites

* 3 tablespoons water

* 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs

* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce), divided

* 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaves

* 2 1/2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce, see recipe below, or prepared marinara sauce

* 3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)

* 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

* Freshly ground pepper to taste

Makes 6 servings

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Coat an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. To prepare eggplant: Cut eggplants crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Whisk egg whites with water in a shallow dish until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan, salt and pepper in another shallow dish. Dip the eggplant slices into the egg whites, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. (Discard any leftover egg white and breadcrumbs.) Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.

3. Bake the eggplant slices for 15 minutes, turn them over and bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes more.

4. To assemble casserole: Stir basil into tomato sauce. Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce in the prepared baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant slices over the sauce, overlapping slightly. Spoon 1 cup of the remaining sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Layer on the remaining eggplant and top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.

5. Bake the casserole, at 400F uncovered, until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 to 25 minutes.

Chef Patsy Jamieson notes: EatingWell's makeover of a traditional eggplant Parmesan recipe trimmed 50 grams of fat from each serving! The key to lightening this classic is to make a meatless version the meaty quality of eggplant provides enough richness and body and bake, rather than fry, the eggplant slices.

To make ahead: Prepare through Step 4. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Reprinted by permission from EatingWell, The Magazine of Food & Health

2005 Eating Well Inc.

Basic Tomato Sauce

This simple but intensely flavored sauce can be used in many Italian recipes. Make a large batch and freeze in small containers for quick reheating.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

* 1 medium onion, finely chopped

* 4 cloves garlic, minced

* 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes or 3 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced

* 1 tablespoon tomato paste

* 1 teaspoon dried oregano

* Pinch of crushed red pepper

* Freshly ground pepper to taste

Makes about 5 cups

1. Heat oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.

2. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook for 30 to 60 seconds.

3. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano; mash with a potato masher.

4. Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes cook down to a thick mass, 45 to 55 minutes. Season with pepper.

Recipe reprinted from The Essential EatingWell Cookbook, The Countryman Press, 2004

2005 Eating Well Inc.

4 pt for 1/6 of the whole recipe.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Thank you so much....... This helps a lot. I only had eggplant in resteraunts before so I wasnt sure what they did. Thanks again...
    ~~~~~~ AMY ~~~~~~
    Lost 30.5, 38.5 more to go!!

SW: 194--Jan 9,2006
    CW: 163.5
    GW: 125

Wow Donna, you have lost a huge amount of weight. Congrats. I am just starting. I live in Italy and think I will be alone on this road, with the exception of the board.
    Stormy

Droooooooool! Eggplant is my favorite food. Always has been. This recipe sounds wonderful!

I used to make my eggplant casserole exactly like this but I would bake my eggplant on a cookie sheet under the broiler but I would drizzle olive oil on the cookie sheet first. I see by eliminating even the drizzle of olive oil I save myself a lot of fat (even if it is healthy oil).

Thank you for the recipes!
    ~TRACI ~
    SW-266
    CW-245
    GW-165
    21 gone forever! OP since 5/18/08 1st goal = 239 by 8/15