Thread: What to eat while camping out???

ChitChat Guest

Default What to eat while camping out???

Next weekend I am going camping with some friends....I haven't really gone camping since joining WW and I am really lost of what I should be taking with me to eat....I thought about taking the Veggie Boca Burgers to grill...but past that I have not come up with any other ideas. I will be eating 2 breakfast, 2 lunch, and 1 dinner.
    Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: What to eat while camping out???

We like to camp and we always have wonderful food. For breakfast I take the low sugar oatmeal packets. Just add some boiling water. For lunches I take tuna to make tuna salad, or Healthy choice lunch meats with wheat bread. For dinners I have a little gas grill that sits on the picnic table. We like to grill salmon, or chicken breasts. Add a baked potato and a salad. If we go on long ventures, I pre cook stuff. I precook taco meat with ground turkey, and freeze. 1 point soft taco shells make it easy to have tacos. I also have pre made low fat pasta sauce and freeze. This is a heat and eat with some whole wheat pasta. If your campground has electric, check out crockpot ideas from the forums!
    Karen
    Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why can!

ChitChat Guest

Great ideas!! I never even thought about the oatmeal packets..which I have at home.

Thanks!!!

jefrado22 Guest

Depending on how cold it will be.... I'd pre-make GLOP (see recipe thread) which you can turn instantly into a dip for chips, taco filling, or eat just plain...

Also, lot of good chili and hearty bean soup recipes - premake and freeze in exactly the size margarine tub that will fit your pot. And the frozen tub can take the place of ice in your cooler to keep other stuff cold!

jefrado22 Guest

We used to camp every year in Oct (cold up here then). My friend would make a GIANT egg bake (fed about 20 people) with red and green peppers and onions. She would pre-crack all the eggs and pre-mix all the ingredients, just adding them to a large disposable tin pan with ripped up hunks of different kinds of whole grain breads - wheat, rye, pumpernickle - DELICIOUS. You could substitute egg beaters and/or low fat cheese for the shredded cheese she topped it with.

She also pre-fried sausages, bacon, etc and just warmed them up when folks were ready to eat, making pancakes to go with it all!! So you can still stay OP and feed the hungry masses (aka MEN).

We always take turkey dogs (most are 1 or 2 points each).
    http://www.myspace.com/zoma_rose

HW 195!
    SW 168
    CW 168

Goal Weight 150
    18 Pound Countdown!

Replies

I like doing the omelets in a bag when camping.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

suzy-loozy Guest

I'm assuming you're tent camping? I RV camp so it's a lot easier.....

Prior to WW you took food camping and I'm assuming it wasn't point friendly. You can still take lots of food camping but make different choices.....

I great one pot meal is in the recipe section and it's the taco soup.....talk about a great camping meal.....

Lunches should be sanwiches and wraps......

Breakfast can be a variety of things......eggs.....egg burritos....etc...oatmeal, cereal.......

Good luck with your choices and have fun!

We've done dinner in foil packets with great success. One we did had cubed ham, fresh sweet potatoes, and apples. For another I've used ground turkey breast (mostly because I don't like hamburger - you could use lean hamburger), frozen stew vegetables, and fat-free cream of mushroom soup. I set out the ingredients and we each assemble our own on foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, wrap them up, and grill until done. No dishes afterward is great!

Otherwise, if you have a tri-pod, nothing is better than chicken cooked over a wood fire on a tri-pod. I like to make salads at home and bring them already made in a cooler and just serve them with the chicken. For breakfast and lunches, my kid's favorites are the 'Pudgy Pies'. You need the pudgie pie iron - it's 2 pieces of iron shaped like a slice of bread with long handles that lock together. You spray the iron with non-stick cooking spray, add a slice of bread (we use whole wheat) to each 1/2 of the pie maker, and add whatever ingredients you want. You can use low or fat-free meats and cheeses, pizza sauce with low or fat-free mozarella, or even desert ones (best made with white bread for dessert) using canned pie filling (look for low or sugar-free pie filling). You assemble the sandwich in the pie maker, lock the clip, and put it in the campfire for a couple of minutes and serve with some of the salads.

For breakfast, I tend to like yogurt & fruit (canned in it's own juice if we're short on cooler space, otherwise fresh) or sometimes whole wheat toast with peanut spread. Rest of the family likes eggs, pancakes, or cereal.

Hope you have a great time camping!

stigs Guest

I'm going camping next weekend, too!

I just wanted to second Robyn's suggestion of foil dinners. Our old standby is chicken breasts with some combination of cabbage, onions, peppers, or potatoes; and garlic (just put a whole clove in, it roasts and becomes sweet and mild). You can put the packets directly on the coals (when they're gray and no longer flaming). The cabbage, if you put a couple pieces on the bottom, helps to guard your meat and vegetables from burning if you leave it on too long or your fire is too hot. If you scald the cabbage, no big loss - the rest is safe!

If you search for "camping" you'll find a couple of threads that are really good. Omelettes in a baggy are AWESOME, and have been covered extensively elsewhere in this forum...
    Have fun! I can't wait to go, myself.

ChitChat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn51
    We've done dinner in foil packets with great success. One we did had cubed ham, fresh sweet potatoes, and apples. For another I've used ground turkey breast (mostly because I don't like hamburger - you could use lean hamburger), frozen stew vegetables, and fat-free cream of mushroom soup. I set out the ingredients and we each assemble our own on foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, wrap them up, and grill until done. No dishes afterward is great!

Otherwise, if you have a tri-pod, nothing is better than chicken cooked over a wood fire on a tri-pod. I like to make salads at home and bring them already made in a cooler and just serve them with the chicken. For breakfast and lunches, my kid's favorites are the 'Pudgy Pies'. You need the pudgie pie iron - it's 2 pieces of iron shaped like a slice of bread with long handles that lock together. You spray the iron with non-stick cooking spray, add a slice of bread (we use whole wheat) to each 1/2 of the pie maker, and add whatever ingredients you want. You can use low or fat-free meats and cheeses, pizza sauce with low or fat-free mozarella, or even desert ones (best made with white bread for dessert) using canned pie filling (look for low or sugar-free pie filling). You assemble the sandwich in the pie maker, lock the clip, and put it in the campfire for a couple of minutes and serve with some of the salads.

For breakfast, I tend to like yogurt & fruit (canned in it's own juice if we're short on cooler space, otherwise fresh) or sometimes whole wheat toast with peanut spread. Rest of the family likes eggs, pancakes, or cereal.

Hope you have a great time camping!
    Actually we make the "Fried Pies" everytime we go camping. I wil look for the low or sugar free pie filling...someone even suggested bringing fat free cool whip to put on it as well...great idea!! The foil packets sound great too!!!

Turkey Sausages...I thank the world for turkey sausages whenever there is a cookout....
    ~ Christyn ~
    CW - 217.6 - 4/4/11
    Loss: - 10

Visit my blog!: http://lifeisnotasprint.com

ChitChat Guest

My husband would love to have turkey sausage.....that might be something very good for him!!

we are going in Oct. and we usually make chili, or fajitas with chicken, onion, green peppers, mushrooms etc. We had made fish in packets before and they were wonderful. I bring some s/f puddings and jello to snack on while everyone else is roasting marshmellows. We have also brought the crockpot along and made veg. beef soup and other kinds of soup. Have fun and camping is the best time to get in some walks. New scenery, new places to walk. Enjoy.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by rainie
    We have also brought the crockpot along and made veg. beef soup and other kinds of soup.
    What kind of camping do you do where you can bring a crockpot!!!???!!! :clown:
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

we have a camper. And we just plug it in.
    ------------------<br />Dawn<br />247/165/140<br />The past cannot be changed; the future is still in your power.

almonds and banana make a good lunch -- at least I like it