Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

Default 5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

Let's help our new friends out by posting the top five recipes in your Core life.

1. (gotta start with dessert )Core Brownies
    (preheat oven to 350)

3/4 c oat bran
    1/4 c plus 2 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 c splenda
    1 package sf/ff instant chocolate jello pudding
    1/2 c ff milk or water
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/3 c unsweetend applesauce
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, pudding mix, cocoa, Splenda, baking soda and salt, mix well. Stir in applesauce, eggs, milk (or water), and vanilla. Mix well. Spray 8"x8" square pan with cooking spray, spread batter evenly into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

2. FRIJOLES CHARROS. / CHARRO BEANS

1 can pinto beans, add same amount of water
    1 oz canadian bacon
    1/2 slice chopped onion
    2 tbs chopped cilantro
    1/4 cup salsa casera Herdez (see in wallmart, in hispanic foods)
    1 medium chopped tomato
    pam to fry

spray a medium pot with pam, fry canadian bacon, onion, cilantro and tomato, untill onion change to gold color, add pinto beans, fill pinto beans with water and add to your pot, add salsa herdez and bring to boil, low temperature and let cooking for 20 minutes at medium temperature...

3. Caramelized Onion Spread
    This tastes so rich, you won't believe it's Core! Bring
    it to a party for a stealth Core appetizer.

4 large onions, chopped (I used sweet onions -- yum!)
    1 Tb. olive oil
    1 c. fat-free cottage cheese
    1 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

In a 9x13 pan, combine onions and olive oil. Cover tightly
    with foil and bake at 400 degrees for about an hour.
    Uncover pan, stir onions, and bake for another 45 minutes
    or longer until onions are browned.

In food processor or blender combine caramelized onions,
    cottage cheese, salt, and cayenne. Process or blend
    until smooth. Scrape into small bowl or crock and chill.

4. Summer Muesli
    1 quart nonfat plain yogurt
    pinch cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. almond extract
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    2 mashed very ripe bananas
    1 1/2 cups sliced peaches
    1 cup blueberries
    1 cup cherries

Mix yogurt with flavorings; add oatmeal and let sit while you prepare fruit. Mash bananas and stir in. Slice peaches, stir in blueberries and pitted cherries.

Of course you could vary the fruit to your heart's content, and add a little sweetener if you like your yogurt sweetened (the bananas sweeten it enough for me). This is a good, balanced snack or light breakfast, lunch, etc. And it keeps well for days.

5. microwave polenta & polenta crisps
    In an 8 cup Pyrex measuring bowl, measure 1 cup polenta (yellow or white cornmeal) into the bowl. Add 2 cans FF chicken broth. Stir well. Microwave on High, stirring after 3 minutes and then every minute or so after that, til mixture becomes quite thick. This makes a good sized batch of polenta. You can serve it as is (I like to let it sit another 5 minutes to thicken further) and can add cheese to it or pour it, hot, into a loaf pan. Refrigerate until cold and slice into 16 equal slices. Spray a large nonstick skillet with olive oil or butter flavored cooking spray, and panfry the slices til golden brown on both sides.

I did the 1 cup of polenta to 4 cups of boiling broth and STILL added 1/2 cup of salsa at the end, and it still set up! I cook mine on "high" (in the micro) for about 15 minutes

Core Polenta Crisps
    Roll of Polenta (usually found in the cold produce section of grocery store)
    Olive Oil Spray, or use polenta you just made in the above recipe

Heat the broiler of your oven. Remove polenta plastic wrapper and cut into 1/4" slices with very sharp knife. Spread polenta rounds onto large baking sheet, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spray tops of polenta rounds with olive oil spray (like Misto sprayer), and season to taste.

Broil for approximately 20 minutes, until polenta rounds are bubbling, crisp, and golden-brown.

--Barbara

"For a righteous man falleth seven times, and riseth up again" Proverbs 24:16

Replies

Default Re: 5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

Nice thread Barbara. How do you eat the Frijoles, just by themselves. They sound so good. Microwave polenta is definitely one I used every few days but you listed it already. So many of my favorites aren't really recipes I just throw them together so this was hard but here goes

Super Swiss Steak in the Crock Pot
    3 Tbs. all purpose flour

4 (4 oz) lean tenderized minute or cube steaks (I used beef round steaks.)
    1 (10 oz) can Healthy Request Tomato Soup
    1 cup (8 oz) can stewed tomatoes, chopped and undrained
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 c. shredded carrots
    1/2 c. chopped onion

Spray a slow cooker container with cooking spray. Place flour in a shallow saucer and coat steak pieces on both sides in flour. Evenly arrange coated steak pieces in prepared container.
    In a medium bowl combine tomato soup and undrained tomatoes. Stir in Worcesterhire sauce, parsley flakes, black papper and any remaining flour. Add carrots and onion. Mix well to combine. Evenly spoon mixture over steak. Cover and cook on Low for 6 - 8 hours. When serving, evenly spoon sauce over meat.

Makes 4 servings: Each serving 274 Cal, 6 gm fat, 33 gm protein, 22 gm, carb. 476 mg sodium, 36 mg calcium, 2 g fiber.
    Flex: 5 1/2 Points
    Core: 1/2 - 1 Point
    The only thing to count is the 3 tablespoons of flour at 3 points total.

TEX MEX GRAIN SALAD: This is Carols and I make many variations of it. Love it!
    Substitute cilantro for the dill, toasted pumpkin seeds for the pecans (add at last minute to preserve crunchiness) and chopped (CORE!) for the currants. Dress with olive oil and freshly squeezed lime juice. Add salt and Tabasco sauce to taste.

Follow the variation above. Add 1 1/2 C. cooked black or pinto beans. Increase oil/vinegar to taste.

4 C. cooked wheat berries, rice, or barley, cooled to room temperature
    1 large red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    2 C. cooked corn kernels or diced raw zucchini
    1/2 C. tightly packed, minced fresh basil, dill, or cilantro
    3/4 C. Umeboshi Plum Vinaigrette

Set the cooked grains in a large bowl. Toss in the pepper, corn, and basil. Sprinkle on the dressing, adding enough to thoroughly coat the salad. Adjust seasonings and serve.

Vinaigrette
    3/4 C. olive oil
    1-2 TBS. umeboshi plum vingar or 4-6 TBS. balsamic or other red wine vinegar
    1-2 TBS. soy sauce

In small jar, combine oil with 1 TBS. plum vinegar (or 4 TBS. balsamic) and 1 TBS. soy sauce. Shake vigorously until well blended. Adjust seasonings, adding more vinegar and soy sauce to taste. Add sesame seeds, if desired, and shake to blend.

Brown Rice (Foolproof Oven Baked) although I use rice cooker alot now also

1 ½ cups long, medium, or short grain brown rice
    2 1/3 cups water
    2 tsp butter or vegetable oil
    ½ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 F and move a rack to the middle position. Spread rice into and 8 inch square glass baking dish. In a covered saucepan on the stove bring water and butter to a boil over high heat. Once it begins to boil, stir in the salt and pour over the rice. Cover the baking dish with a double layer of foil. Bake for 1 hour, until tender.

Remove from oven and uncover. Fluff the rice with a fork, cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes. Uncover for another 5 then serve immediately. Serves 4-6.
    Variations:
    Substitute chicken or vegetable broth for the water. Add ½ onion, chopped and sautéed in 1 Tbs oil, at the same time you pour liquid over the raw brown rice.

Orzo Soup

8 c. water
    1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix
    4 beef bouillon cubes
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    1 lb. lean hamburger
    1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
    1 can Veg All1 c. uncooked orzo (sm. oval-shaped pasta) WW

Combine first 5 ingredients in large pot. Boil for 15 minutes. Add last 3 ingredients and boil for fifteen minutes more. Done! Quick and easy, this dish makes a thick hearty stew that will feed a crowd. Great for cold weather get togethers.

Mexican Chicken and Barley Chili

1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    3 cups water
    1/2 cup medium Barley
    1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
    1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
    1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    3 cups chicken, chopped, cooked

1 or 2 cans beans, optional

In 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add remaining ingredients, except chicken. Use the tomato juice and chop the tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cooked chicken; continue simmering 5 to 10 minutes or until chicken is heated through and barley is tender. Add additional water or chicken broth if chili becomes too thick upon standing.

Makes nine 1-cup servings.

Sue
    163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

Replies

Mmm.. After reading this I reallllly need to make the brownies again!
    I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!
    2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

Replies

Thumbs up Re: 5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

There are sooo many more, but here are 5! :bcbsalute

Vegetarian Chili

Recipe By : Jim (Dina's Weight Watcher's leader), adapted
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 cups water
    1 1/2 cups dried lentils -- (9 ounces)
    1 cup onion -- chopped
    1 can corn (approx. 16 oz.) -- rinsed and drained
    2 cans stewed tomatoes -- (approx. 16 oz each)
    1 6-oz. can tomato paste
    1 packet taco seasoning mix -- (1-1/4 oz.)
    hot sauce -- to taste
    crushed red pepper -- to taste; optional

Toss everything into a large pot or Dutch oven. Bring chili to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and let cook for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes to prevent burning. Depending on consistency, add more water as necessary. (Note: I didn't need to add any more water.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

** Original recipe calls for 2 packets of taco seasoning mix.
    I use only one and find it to be quite spicy.

2.5 POINTS per serving (per Jim)

M.C. formatted by Dina on 9/5/99.

This recipe is a staple in my family. Credit goes to Cordy at BCB for the initial recipe; this is my version:

OAT SCONES

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat 1 cup FF milk til scalded (with bubbles around the edge; I use my microwave).

Add 1 1/2 cups regular oatmeal (I use Snowqualmie oats) to the milk; stir; and let sit for a few minutes at least.

Spray an oven-proof large pie-pan (I use a 10") with non-stick oil (I use Mazola safflower/canola spray).

Add: 1/2 C. FF plain yogurt to the oat mixture, along with one egg, and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I use the pre-portioned little tubs).

In another container, mix:
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3 packets of Splenda (or 1 TBS. pourable Splenda, or fructose which is Core)
    1 tsp. cinammon
    1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1 cup oat bran

When mixed, quickly stir the two together and pour into the pie pan (the dough will start to bubble and rise) and quickly put into the preheated oven.

Bake approximately 30 minutes, or until browned.

After removing from oven, let sit a few minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack. Let sit 5 minutes, then cut into 8ths.

These are substantial and delicious. Eat alone, like "scones" with milk or tea, or, toast/warm them and add warmed Cinammon Apples or warmed Pineapple Rings like "shortcake".

We just LOVE this for breakfast and snacks! It's good warm or cold. It's easy to wrap in wax paper and eat while you're on-the-move~

Carol's Baked Oatmeal
    Servings: 4 HUGE

Mix together:
    1 cup oat bran (substitute with quick or instant, if you choose)
    1 cup oatmeal, quick or instant (mine's "toasted" from Safeway)
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (I like Rumford, or any non-aluminum brand)
    1 tsp. baking soda
    Pinch of salt

Blend together:
    1 egg
    1 cup FF evaporated milk (you can use skim milk, although I think FF evaporated is The Secret Ingredient! )
    1/2 cup FF plain yogurt
    1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened (I use the pre-portioned containers)
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. cinammon
    1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie spice (rounded)
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg, (preferably freshly ground)
    3 Splenda packets

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (mine's convection).

Line 8X8" pan with Reynold's non-stick aluminum foil. (No spray required, then. For spray I like "Mazola: Canola and Sunflower Oil Spray")

Combine first set of dry ingredients.

Blend second set of wet ingredients.

Add wet ingredients to dry, stir, and scrape into pan quickly and put into preheated oven immediately.

Cook for 25 minutes or longer, until top is golden brown and sides begin to pull away from the edge of the pan.

Cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Divide into 4 servings. Serve hot or cold (or "toasted").

Optional: You can add nuts and dried fruits, and count the additional points.

[For Flex: Points for 1 serving baked oatmeal: 4.4 w/ FF evaporated milk; 3.9 w/skim or 1% milk~ pointed for me by Paris~ Thanks, Paris.]

NOTE: Oat bran makes the Baked Oatmeal extra light and fluffy~That could also make it a "trigger" for you, so use discretion.

This is what I'll be making on Thanksgiving! Two thumbs up. And a thank-you to Mardee who invented the Cream Of Wheat addition. DH loves this, too.

WWCarol's BIG THANKSGIVING PUMPKIN PIE!

2-14 oz. packages frozen squash, thawed (28 oz. total)
    4 large eggs
    1 can FF evaporated milk
    1/2 cup DaVinci SF Gingerbread syrup
    1 TBS. Pumpkin Pie spice
    1/2 cup Cream Of Wheat

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix wet ingredients, including spices, together (I use an immersion blender). Stir in Cream Of Wheat.

Pour into a 10" fluted glass pie pan. (This holds more than a 9"!) Cook at 20 minutes at 450, then reduce oven's heat to 350 degrees and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until done.

Note: This is great warm or cold.

This is simple, delicious, and filling! Comfort food. Stick to your ribs!

Cream of Wheat Pudding (Core)

POINTS® value | 4
    Servings | 1

breakfast | This recipe is Core; only count points if on the Flex plan. It's breakfast or a dessert - you decide. Optional: top with fresh or thawed frozen fruit (no sugar) or chocolate/butterscotch chips (count WPA/APs). . . .

Ingredients

3 Tbsp Nabisco Cream Of Wheat, 2 1/2 Minute
    1 cup fat-free skim milk
    1 egg
    1 packet McNeil Nutritionals SPLENDA (R) No Calorie Sweetener
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Spray small saucepan with cooking spray, add milk and heat until just about boiling. Be careful as it will burn and stick to the bottom of the pan.
    2. Add cream of wheat and stir with a whisk for about 2 minutes.
    3. In a small separate bowl combine egg, vanilla, and splenda.
    4. Stirring rapidly to avoid "scrambled egg effect," add the egg mixture to the cream of wheat and cook for 1 minute longer or until thickened to your liking, and long enough for the egg to cook.

Note from Carol: I use the long-cooking Cream Of Wheat...it turns out fine. I cook mine in the microwave...no problem~ Here are the directions off the box, however use the recipe from above:

Microwave Directions:

1. MIX 3 Tbs. Cream of Wheat, 3/4 cup cold water OR FF milk and a dash of salt in 2-cup microwavable bowl. For creamier cereal, use milk.

2. MICROWAVE on HIGH 1 minute. Stir, cook 1-2 minutes more, stirring well every 30 seconds, until thickened. Stir before serving.

Optional: Try topping with fresh fruit or a fruit puree. Perhaps layer in a parfait~
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

That scone recipe looks delish! Something I def. have to try on one of my free mornings (Tuesdays and Thursdays).. Looks like a quick grab n go for classes!! And something delightfully delish with my new found love... coffee! (No worries, I bought 1/2 Caff!!)

Chocolate Cake

1 tb. instant decaf coffee (this punches up the chocolate flavor)
    1 tb. hot tap water
    1 cup dry oat bran (hot cereal)
    3 tb. unsweetened baking cocoa (not a true Core food, but 0 points for 3 tb. cocoa, according to Food Companion)
    2 medium overripe bananas with lots of black flecks (this is very important, or cake won't taste as good)
    1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk (optional)
    1/2 tsp. baking soda (optional)
    1 cup measures like sugar Splenda
    3 large eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

In large bowl put coffee granules. Add hot water and stir thoroughly until dissolved.

In separate bowl, combine oat bran with cocoa, nonfat dry milk and baking soda. Stir thoroughly, until well combined. Set aside.

Break up bananas over dissolved coffee. With tines of fork thoroughly mash bananas into coffee until nice and pulpy. Stir in Splenda. Crack in eggs, one at a time, and stir with fork until thoroughly mixed. Stir in vanilla. Stir in oat bran mixture.

Scrape batter into 8" square nonstick pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 20 or more minutes until cake tests done in center. (without milk/soda it takes 20 min; with additions cake takes longer). Cool.

Shrimp Kabobs

1 pound uncooked peeled deveined large shrimp, thawed if frozen and tails peeled.
    1 cup fat-free Italian dressing
    1 medium red onion, cut into 8 pieces
    1 medium bell pepper, cut into 8 pieces
    16 medium cherry tomatoes
    16 small whole mushrooms

In shallow dish, place shrimp and dressing. Cover dish and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Remove shrimp from marinade; reserve marinade. On each of four metal skewers, alternately thread shrimp, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and mushrooms, leaving 1/4 inch space between each piece.

Cover and grill kabobs over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, turning frequently and brushing serveral times with marinade, until shrimp are pink and firm. Discard any remaining marinade.

Baked Banana Splits

Ingredients

1 sprays cooking spray
    4 large banana(s), ripe, peeled
    8 oz canned crushed pineapple in juice, drained
    2 Tbsp McNeil Nutritionals SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener, divided
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cups raspberries

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Place bananas in pan.
    2. Combine pineapple, 1 tablespoon of Splenda and cinnamon in a small bowl; pour over bananas. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. (Note: The canned pineapple is already sweet so omit the Splenda if you prefer.)
    3. Meanwhile, combine ricotta, remaining tablespoon of Splenda and vanilla in another small bowl; set aside.
    4. Place one baked banana in each of four individual serving bowls and top each with about 2 tablespoons of pineapple sauce and 1/4 cup of ricotta mixture. Top each with 1/4 cup of raspberries. Serve immediately.

Chicken Fried Rice
    Core Recipe
    Servings | 6

Ingredients
    2 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
    4 large egg white(s)
    1/2 cup scallion(s), chopped, green and white parts
    2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
    12 oz uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), diced
    1/2 cup carrot(s), diced
    2 cup cooked brown rice, regular or instant, kept hot
    1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
    3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add egg whites and cook, until scrambled, stirring frequently, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.

Offheat, recoat skillet with cooking spray and place back over medium-high heat. Add scallions and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken and carrots; sauté until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.

Stir in reserved egg whites, cooked brown rice, peas and soy sauce; cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

Potato Pancakes

Ingredients:

Large potato shredded with skin on

1/2 a finely chopped onion

2 eggs

salt and pepper...

1/4 cup ff cheddar cheese

Serving Size:

1 (5 pancakes)

serve with ff sour cream and sugar free applesauce.

Cook them on an electric frying pan with 350 degrees heat and non stick spray on it for 2 - 3 minutes per side.

I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!
    2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

I will DEFINITELY be keeping up with this post and even copying some recipes!

One of my new favorites is:

FF Cottage cheese
    Pineapple (tidbits or crushed, DRAINED)
    Little bit of fructose

Mix in whatever ratios you want...Mmmmm!
    Penny

SW 213.8
    CW 186.0 (Total Core loss = -27.8)
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

I’ll give my four favorite crock pot recipes, so that I’m not repeating everyone else’s answers. My crock pot keeps me OP quite often, as dinner’s ready when I walk in the door from a long day and then I have no excuse for ordering something we don’t need to eat!

• Pork and Sauerkraut
    Place ½ of a jar/bag of sauerkraut in the bottom of a crock pot. Place a boneless pork roast (any type) on top and cover with remaining sauerkraut. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Serve over Core mashed potatoes.

• Chili
    Brown ground beef (Core acceptable) with a bunch of diced onions. Add to crock pot filled with diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Add beans (if you like) and chili seasoning. Cook on low all day. Serve with Core-n bread, ff sour cream, and ff cheese.

• Pot Roast
    Add a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes to crock pot. Stir in 1 bottle of beer or 1 c. red wine (if desired) and ½ package of onion soup mix (or any dry soup mix that sounds good). Add lots of chopped onions, and stir. Add a beef roast (we like eye of the round best). Spoon sauce over roast. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Serve with bulgur, mashed potatoes, brown rice, etc. (The beer/wine adds 2 points for the WHOLE thing, which would most likely be less than .5 pts per serving unless you’re really hungry!)

• Sour Cream Salsa Chicken
    Add a big ole’ jar of salsa to crock pot. Add 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Add sliced onions and peppers if you like. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Remove chicken (if you can without it falling apart), stir in a few tablespoons of ff sour cream, and add chicken back. Serve over bulgur, brown rice, etc. Or use in a low point tortilla. Lots of options here…I think it would even make a good base for a chicken tortilla soup.

And my fifth favorite ‘recipe’, not a crock pot recipe, is pretty basic, but I eat it all the time and that’s over-easy eggs with hashbrowns on the side. Yum!

Amy
    SiFi - 114 lbs gone, 80ish lbs left to lose
    DS: 1 year
    DD: 2 years

Replies

1) Chicken Soup
    1 TBSP olive oil
    1 small onion
    3 celery stalks
    3 cloves garlic
    6 cups water
    1 lb chicken thighs - bones and skin in tact (for now), but remove any fat
    3-4 carrots
    1 small tunip
    1 parnsip
    1 large tomato or 1 container of cherry/grape tomatoes
    fresh parsley
    2-3 potatoes
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, celery and garlic in olive oil on medium heat until onions become translucent. Add water, chicken thighs, and salt/pepper to taste. While chicken is cooking, chop all remaining veggies and parsley, except potatoes. As each veggie is finished, add it to the soup. By the time all veggies are cooked, chicken should be cooked. Remove chicken from the broth, and remove skin and leftover fat. Cut chicken off the bone into bite-sized pieces. Put all meat and bones back into broth. Chop potatoes and add to the broth. Continue cooking for about 1 hour or until veggies tender and flavors mixed.

Makes 6-8 servings (1/2 healthy oil each). Freezes very well.

Add bulgar, couscous, barley or other grains if desired at the very end. Or, add ww egg noodles, but omit potatoes. Grains are not recommended if planning to freeze the soup.

2) Beef Stew

2 TBSP olive oil (or other healthy oil)
    1 small onion
    3-4 stalks of celery
    1 clove of garlic, diced
    1 lb lean stew meat, rinsed and cleaned of any fat, cut into bite sized pieces
    1 tsp Worchester Sauce
    1 tsp Gravy Master (or browning sauce)
    4 cups water (you can probably add more, but I didn't want to cook it all day)1/2 lb Carrots, chopped into bite sized pieces
    2-3 large red potatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces
    1 cup frozen, fresh, or canned green peas
    2 TBSP cornstarch
    Salt and pepper to taste

Add 1 TBSP olive oil to the bottom of a large pot (6-8 quart) and add onions, garlic and celery. While that is cooking on low/medium heat, clean and prepare meat. Add 2nd TBSP of olive oil to the pan, and add the meat cubes. Saute until brown around the edges. Add worchester sauce and gravy master and let the meat soak it up. When the pot is close to dry, add 4 (or more, depending on how long you want to cook this) cups of water. Add chopped carrots, potatoes and peas. Add salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste (basil, italian seasoning, montreal steak seasoning, parsley, etc - it usually changes for me depending on what I have on hand). Bring to a boil to cook some of the water out. Turn down to low/medium heat and simmer until flavors have mixed and most water is gone. Add cornstrach to a small amount of water, dissovle and add to the broth for desired thickness. Smashing some of the potatoes and peas will do a simmilar thing.

With 4 cups of water, makes 6 servings (1 healthy oil each).

3) Slowcooker Chicken and Salsa

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 jar hot salsa (or to taste)
    1 can black or other beans

Place chicken, salsa and beans in crockpot. Add 1 jar of salsa and 1 can of beans. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 overs.

Serving suggestions: Place over bulgar, brown rice, or ww pasta. Use as a filling for tacos or burritos (count WPA for the shells). Add Water and other veggies and continue cooking to make soup.

4) Homestyle Roast Beef with Gravy

1 lean roast beef
    4 medium red bliss potatoes
    1 lb baby carrots
    1 TBSP corn starch
    1 can beef broth
    1 tsp gravy master
    1/4 c water

Trim all visable fat from roast. Place in slow cooker on and add 2 TBSP beef broth. Set aside remaining broth. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. With 1-2 hours remaining, add carrots and quarted potatoes. Add another 2 TSBPs of broth. About 15 minutes before roast is finishes, place remaining broth in pan over medium heat. Add can of beef broth, drippings from roast (if any) and heat over medium heat. Put cornstarch in water and mix until dissolved. Slow added water mixture to broth to thicken. Add gravy master to add color and flavor.

5) Fried Bulgar

This is a very versatile recipe and can be made with random meats and leftover/canned/frozen or fresh veggies. I eat it for lunch or a fast dinner a lot.

1/4 cup bulgar, cooked
    1 tsp safflower
    1 egg
    meat (any kind - I like chicken personally)
    minced onion and garlic (I used freeze-dried if I need something fast)
    veggies (any kind)
    diced pineapple
    reduced sodium soy sauce
    thai hot sauce (if desired)

Put safflower oil in pan and scramble egg. Break it up into little pieces. If veggies and pineapple are frozen, add them first. When veggies are thawed and starting to get tender, add bulgar. When bulgar begins to get brown, add soy sauce and hot sauce to taste. Eat as stand-alone meal, or as side dish.
    Original SW: 149
    New SW (11/8/10): 138
    CW: 132
    GW: 125

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

gvmemoment Guest

It is tough to pick just 5!!

Skillet Lasagna:

DH's FAVORITE!

1 pound 93% lean ground beef
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove minced garlic
    1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 1/4 cups water
    1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
    1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    1 teaspoon salt
    2-1/2 cups bow tie pasta, uncooked (for Core, use whole wheat
    macaroni)
    1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (ff if you can find it)
    Dash basil, pepper, optional
    Shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese (or use skim-milk mozzarella and
    count WPAs)

In large skillet, brown beef with onions and garlic; drain. Add
    tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, parsley, basil, oregano, and salt. Mix
    well.

Stir in uncooked pasta. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
    Reduce heat; cover, simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender,
    stirring once.

Combine cottage and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle in basil and pepper to
    taste if desired. Drop cheese mixture by rounded tablespoons onto
    pasta mixture. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with shredded
    mozzarella, if desired

Quick Bulgar cassarole:

1/2 Cup Cooked Bulgur (I freeze indivual portions of grains, so polenta, couscous, or brown rice could also be sued here
    Leftover chicken, pork, or steak
    2TSalsa
    2T FFSour Cream
    Sprinkle of FF Shredded Cheese
    Leftover refried beans, black beans or other beans, if available.

Layer in a microwave safe dish, and nuke until heated through, a delisous quick dinner great for nights I don't want to cook!

Pork Chops alla Pizzaiola

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 (1-inch thick) bone-in pork loin center-cut chops (about 12 ounces each)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 small onion, thinly sliced

1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in juice

1 teaspoon herbes de Provence

1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or more to taste

1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle the pork chops with salt and pepper. Add the pork chops to the skillet and cook until they are brown and an instant-read meat thermometer inserted horizontally into the pork registers 160 degrees F, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the pork chops to a plate and tent with foil to keep them warm. Add the onion to the same skillet and sauté over medium heat until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices, herbes de Provence, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend and the juices thicken slightly, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and more red pepper flakes. Return the pork chops and any accumulated juices from the plate to the skillet and turn the pork chops to coat with the sauce. Place 1 pork chop on each plate. Spoon the sauce over the pork chops. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve. Serves 2.

Carne con Chile Verde y Papas
    2 cups diced stew meat or pork chops
    1 cup water
    1 medium onion
    2 green chiles, roasted
    1 small tomato
    Garlic or garlic salt
    2 medium potatoes
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Simmer the meat in water in a frying pan until cooked. Dice onion, chiles and tomato; add with garlic to the meat. Cook about 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
    Dice potatoes and add to meat mixture. A tablespoon of flour may be added to thicken it. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 1 hour.
    Delicious served burrito-style in homemade flour tortillas.
    Makes 4 to 6 servings.
    NOTE: If desired, you may add about 1 teaspoon comino (Cumin) when adding the
    salt and pepper.

Garlic Lime Chicken

1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    6 boneless skinless chicken breast
    2 tablespoons fat free margarine spread
    1 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    4 tablespoons lime juice

In a bowl, mix together first 7 ingredients. Evenly sprinkle mixture on both sides of chicken breasts.

In a skillet heat fat free margarine spread and olive oil together over medium high
    heat. Saute chicken until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes on either side. Remove chicken and add lime juice and chicken broth to the pan, whisking up the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Keep cooking until sauce has reduced slightly. Add chicken back to the pan to thoroughly coat and serve.

SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with brown rice, steamed kale and baked
    sweet potatoes

10. Default Re: 5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

I'm so glad I started this thread. Carol, I've been meaning forever to make the cream of wheat pudding, and finally did yesterday. I stirred in some crushed pineapple and SV Coconut syrup, and then topped with some gingerbread granola. Heavenly!

Sue, I eat the beans by themselves, topped with FF cheddar cheese, wrapped in a low-point tortilla (count points), mixed with rice, or as a topping for a bowl of polenta. Sometimes I make cheese chips or polenta chips and eat it as a dip. I've said it before, but I could eat that dish every day of my life and never grow tired of it.

I'm copying all of the recipes here that I haven't made yet, and together, they'll make next week's menu!
    --Barbara

Replies

Barbara, I am dying to try the beans. My walmart is not a super walmart. Can you describe the salsa to me. Is it a red or green. I have everything in house but the salsa. This thread was great. Even the recipes I already had it reminded me of them. Sometimes we get stuck in a rut!
    Sue
    163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

12. Default Re: 5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

Sue,

Do you have a mexican food store? They should have it.
    --Barbara

Replies

OK, this thread has got me yearning to make dinner and do some baking.

As I work evenings, I usually cook ahead and freeze dinner meals to take to work.

Ok, I'll get into my word file and pull up some good stuff that is not posted yet.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Replies

Corn Chowder

Using low-fat milk instead of cream lowers the saturated fat content in this hearty dish.

Ingredients:

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    * 2 tablespoons finely diced celery
    * 2 tablespoons finely diced onion
    * 2 tablespoons finely diced green pepper
    * 1 package of frozen whole kernel corn (10 oz.)
    * 1 cup of peeled, diced, 1/2-inch raw potatoes
    * 2 tablespoons of chopped, fresh parsley
    * 1 cup of water
    * 1/4 teaspoons salt (I leave out the salt)
    * black pepper to taste
    * 1/4 teaspoons paprika
    * 2 tablespoons flour
    * 2 cups low-fat, 1% or skim milk (I always use skim)

Directions:

1. Heat oil in medium saucepan.
    2. Add celery, onion, and green pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
    3. Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; and cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
    4. Place 1/2 cup milk in a jar with tight fitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
    5. Add gradually to cooked vegetables and add remaining milk.
    6. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
    7. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.

Yield: 4 Servings--Serving Size: 1 cup
    Nutrition at a glance
    Servings Per Recipe: 4 amount per serving
    Calories 186
    Total Fat 5 g
    Saturated Fat 1 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg
    Sodium 205 mg
    Save to My Article List

Mexican fiesta salad

This is the best salad for BBQs. People always ask for the recipe. The original recipe calls for much more oil, but I used less oil and added some lime zest to add some flavor. It serves about 6.

1 15oz can of corn
    1 15oz can of black beans
    1/2 red or purple onion, diced fine
    1 red pepper, diced fine
    Fresh cilantro to taste
    1 tbs lime zest
    Juice of one lime
    6 tsp olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together and let it sit several hours (at least) or overnight. The colors are beautiful and I think(hope) it's all core but the oil. I eat one serving and count the oil towards my daily 2 oils.

I found this on the BCB board (don't remember from whom). I leave out the oil and put into single serving sizes in the fridge. I add just the amount of oil that I have left for the day. Usually, I use the juice from 4 limes, and the zest from 3 of them. I have a lime tree so this is easy in California!

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1 large white/yellow onion
    1 heaping tsp crushed garlic
    3 lb butternut squash
    32 oz low sodium chicken broth
    4 carrots
    2 yams
    12 can FF evaporated milk
    2-3 tsp curry
    1 tsp ginger

Roast the squash. Cool until able to handle. Cut up into 2 inch chunks.
    Meanwhile, spray soup pot with Pam, saute the onion and garlic.
    Add the soup broth, cut up carrots and the cut up yams.
    Cook until soft.
    Add the cut up squash, milk, and the spices.
    Puree with the Braun Hand Blender.

Delicious

Eggplant Parmesan

by Chef Patsy Jamieson

Eggplant Parmesan EatingWell's makeover of a traditional eggplant Parmesan recipe

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 eggplants (about 2 pounds total)
    * 3 egg whites
    * 3 tablespoons water
    * 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
    * 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce), divided
    * 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
    * 2 1/2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce, see recipe below, or prepared marinara sauce
    * 3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    * Freshly ground pepper to taste

Makes 6 servings

1. Preheat oven to 400̊F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Coat an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
    2. To prepare eggplant: Cut eggplants crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Whisk egg whites with water in a shallow dish until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan, salt and pepper in another shallow dish. Dip the eggplant slices into the egg whites, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. (Discard any leftover egg white and breadcrumbs.) Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.
    3. Bake the eggplant slices for 15 minutes, turn them over and bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes more.
    4. To assemble casserole: Stir basil into tomato sauce. Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce in the prepared baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant slices over the sauce, overlapping slightly. Spoon 1 cup of the remaining sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Layer on the remaining eggplant and top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
    5. Bake the casserole, at 400̊F uncovered, until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 to 25 minutes.

Chef Patsy Jamieson notes: EatingWell's makeover of a traditional eggplant Parmesan recipe trimmed 50 grams of fat from each serving! The key to lightening this classic is to make a meatless version — the meaty quality of eggplant provides enough richness and body — and bake, rather than fry, the eggplant slices.

To make ahead: Prepare through Step 4. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Reprinted by permission from EatingWell, The Magazine of Food & Health
    © 2005 Eating Well Inc.

Basic Tomato Sauce

This simple but intensely flavored sauce can be used in many Italian recipes. Make a large batch and freeze in small containers for quick reheating.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    * 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    * 4 cloves garlic, minced
    * 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes or 3 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
    * 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    * 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    * Pinch of crushed red pepper
    * Freshly ground pepper to taste

Makes about 5 cups

1. Heat oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
    2. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook for 30 to 60 seconds.
    3. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano; mash with a potato masher.
    4. Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes cook down to a thick mass, 45 to 55 minutes. Season with pepper.

Recipe reprinted from The Essential EatingWell Cookbook, The Countryman Press, 2004
    © 2005 Eating Well Inc.

4 pt for 1/6 of the whole recipe.

I use organic ff mushroom spaghetti sauce from Trader Joe. The eggplants usually come from my garden.

WW's BLACK BEAN AND BARLEY SALAD
    :
    A Favorite!
    How To Cook Barley: Add 3/4 C. pearled barley to 4 C. boiling water for 45 minutes = 3 C. cooked barley. Hulled barley is "chewier" and will probably require more time, and possibly more water. You can lightly salt the water, OR, if you're eating the grains, alone/savory, cook them in broth.

SCRUMPTIOUS Barley and Black Bean Salad: This recipe is the BOMB! It was WWs back in the food exchange days, and now they serve it at my local bistro as a main or side salad. TRY it!

Serves 9

3 C. cooked barley (3/4 C. barley in 4 C. boiling water for 45 minutes)
    2 C. black beans
    1 1/2 C. whole kernel corn, thawed
    1 1/2 C. tomato, fresh diced
    1 C. green peas, thawed
    1 C. chopped avacado
    1/4 C. cilantro

Dressing:
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/2 C. water
    2 TBS. lemon juice
    1 TBS. grated onion
    1 TBS. olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp cumin, optional

Romaine lettuce and 18 wedges of tomato (for garnish and under the grains)

Combine 1st 9 ingredients in large bowl, toss gently. Combine water and next 4 ingredients in a jar; pour over salad. Toss gently. Serve warm or room temperature.

9 servings: 1 C. salad, 2 avacado slices, 2 tomato slices (1 1/2 C.: 1/2 fat, 1 bread, 1 protein, + vegetables)

Points: 4 per serving (Courtesy of Joanne: Per Serving : 213 Calories; 5g Fat (20.0% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 151mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat.)

*Do not add the avacado if you will not be eating the salad THAT meal...it will turn brown. Add when needed.

This is one of WWCarol's recipes. She didn't include it as one of her favorites, but it is one of mine! I usually cook the barley in my rice cooker.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Replies

Thumbs up Re: 5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

This is a family-friendly "must try"!

This is a family favorite. I found it posted by BarbA. under Soups/Stews/Chowders Forum.

Cheesy chili-mac

POINTS® value | 6 and CORE
    Servings | 8
    Preparation Time | 20 min
    Cooking Time | 25 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

Main meals | Adults will love how easy this chili-based meal is to prepare. Both kids and adults will love its taste.

Ingredients

1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
    2/3 pound raw extra lean ground beef [I use ground turkey breast]
    2 medium onion(s), chopped
    29 oz canned stewed tomatoes, Mexican-style
    2 1/2 cup canned tomato juice [I think tomato juice is not Core; maybe use 1/2 tomato sauce and 1/2 water?]
    4 oz canned green chili peppers, diced, drained
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat macaroni, elbow [I had some small whole wheat pasta...not elbow...worked great]
    31 oz canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese [fat-free cheese for Core! ]

Instructions

Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat until meat is browned, about 10 minutes; drain off fat.
    Stir in stewed tomatoes including juice, tomato juice, chili peppers and chili powder. Bring mixture to a boil.

Stir in macaroni and beans; return to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until macaroni is tender, about 15 minutes. Spoon chili into bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 1 cup of chili and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cheese per serving.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

16. Default Re: 5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

for the lazy cooks (or those like me who won't do something with more than 5 ingredients )

Chile
    - 1 lb lean ground beef
    - 1 can black beans, drained
    - 1 can tomato sauce
    - 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
    - chili powder to taste
    Brown the beef, dump in the canned stuff and powder and simmer for about 10-20 minutes

Fried Polenta
    Make the microwaver polenta. But instead of all that stirring, nuke water for 3 nminutes to get good and hot, add polenta and stir, nuke for another 5 minutes and stir. Pour into container to cool. Then slice and fry in garlic olive oil - put italian seasoning and soy parmesan before placing in pan.

Glazed Chicken or Salmon
    Heat up grill pan. Pour in soy sauce (I like low sodium), pour more on chicken or salmon and put in pan. let sit on sauce to cook - you will get a nice glaze on there. Serve over brown rice or even better couscous. To make couscous - put in equal parts water and couscous, nuke for 2 minutes and fluff.

Lasagna - this make a loaf pan sized one if you like it very cheesy like me
    whole wheat noodles
    fat free ricotta (small container)
    soy mozzarella (one pack of shredded)
    soy parmesan
    1 whole egg
    spaghetti sauce (you can take plain tomato sauce and add seasoning and lots of garlic to it)
    Cook noodles
    Mix ricotta and egg
    put some sauce in bottom of loaf pan.
    Put in layer of noodles, then ricotta mix, some mozzarella and cover with sauce.
    Repeat until 3-4 layers - last layer should be just noodles, sauce and then mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan.
    Cover with aluminum foil and bake in oven at 350 for 45 mins - remove foil for last 10 mins.

Marinated Green Beans (works well for asparagus too)
    Pound of fresh green beans
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/8-1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
    TBS or so of dijon or other mustard (anything but the yellow stuff)
    - Bring water to boil and place green beans in for 2 minutes (or until just getting bright green) (it's even better to steam them)
    - drain beans then immediately dump in a bowl of ice water (to stop the cooking)
    - mix oil, vinegar, and mustard. You can add minced shallots and fresh herbs.
    - drain beans and toss with dressing. You can eat right away but is also good after sitting for up to a day.
    nancy
    SW 269.8 (as of 10/26/05) CW 168 (8/28/08) GW 160 (made it July 2007, getting there again )

17. Default Re: 5 CORE Recipes I couldn't live without!

bumpity bump
    --Barbara

Starrbrite Guest

Thanks, everyone, for these wonderful recipes.

I have absolutely NOTHING to share. I'm still relying on Costco's roasted chicken, romaine lettuce, and chicken vegetable soup. Oh, and of course, I recently learned how to make GLOP, which my mother insists should be called Salsa Surprise, because it tastes so much better than GLOP sounds.

In time, perhaps, -- after I've learned to cook and tried these wonderful recipes -- I'll have something to add.

Meanwhile, you've made my new adventures into Core much easier.

this is easy! lol I could go on and on

Barbara's Core Corn Muffins
    Servings : 9
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups cornmeal, whole-grain
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup butter buds® or molly mcbutter
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup egg beaters or 2 beaten eggs
    2 tablespoons(20 pkts) Splenda -- optional for a sweet muffin, increase as you like for desired sweetness

Mix cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and Splenda together in medium bowl.
    Add the wet ingredients and stir just until mixture comes together. Spray
    a non stick muffin pan with non stick cooking spray and fill nine of the
    muffin cups with batter. Cook in a 350° for 15 to 20 minutes, til just
    browning around the edges.

Core Banana pudding

Prepared SF/FF banana pudding

Fiber One cereal

1 sliced banana

add in bowl and mix

Microwave Potato chips

You will need:

Russett Potatoes (or your favorite variety)
    Paper plates
    Parchment paper
    Pan spray
    Olive oil mister
    Seasonings of choice (Salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, Mrs. Dash, cayenne pepper.... etc)

Slice potatoes on a mandoline very thinly, about 1/8th inch thick. Lay a piece of parchment on the plate and spray with Pam. Spray the potatoes with oil and seasonings.
    Place another piece of parchment over the top, spraying both sides with Pam. Lay down another layer of potatoes, and repeat oiling and seasoning. Finish with another sprayed piece of parchment.
    Microwave for 7-9 minutes.
    Microwaves vary so experiment, starting with the least amount of time and increase. Your potato thickness will also be a factor.

These will be golden and crispy!
    You can keep reusing the same pieces of parchment paper over and over.

Cooking more than two layers is your own choice, but it doesn't work well in mine so try it at your own

Wendy's Chili

lbs ground beef

1 (29

ounce) can tomato sauce

1 (29

ounce) can kidney beans (with liquid)

1 (29

ounce) can pinto beans (with liquid)

cup diced onions (, 1 medium onion)

1/2

cup diced green chili peppers (, 2 chilies)

1/4

cup diced celery (, 1 stalk)

medium tomatoes, chopped

2-3

teaspoons cumin powder

tablespoons chili powder

1 1/2

teaspoons black pepper

teaspoons salt

cups water

Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off the fat. In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3 hours

Core Meatloaf
    1-1/2 lb 93% or more fat-free hamburger
    1 cup skim milk
    3/4 cup oatmeal
    1 egg
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    spices to taste

Mix all ingredients. Spread in ungreased loaf pan (9x5x3 inches). Cook, uncovered, for approximately 1-1/2 hours.

SW - 260 1/31/06
    CW - 201
    GW - 147

Slowly but surely!

Starrbrite Guest

Bumping up for just one more day!

This is our all-time favorite, so I had to post it. It is very versatile but if you try the actual base recipe here at least once you'll be very pleased with it. The simplicity of the corn, garlic, and jalepeno has such a blissful flavor.

Dirty Rice
    (Base Recipe)

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
    4 Cloves Garlic, sliced
    1 Onion, diced
    1 Pkg 97% lean ground beef
    4 Cloves of garlic, chopped
    4 Ears Bi-color corn, sliced from cob
    1 Jalapeño, seecded & diced

Salt- to taste
    Pepper – to taste
    Onion Powder- to taste (lots)
    Garlic Powder – to taste (lots)

3 Cups cooked brown rice

Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add onion, garlic and peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add ground beef and seasonings, and cook until no longer pink. Add corn and cook another couple of minutes.
    Cook rice according to directions. Drain and add to beef. Add more seasonings to taste.

Serve topped with FF sour cream

This makes lots but freezes well for fast dinners or lunches.
    Last edited by summerset; 02-21-2007 at 06:02 PM.
    "If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that Acme crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?"

My pics

CarolyntotheCore Guest

What a great topic - I've been away a while, and am sure glad I came back to find these!

vegcanuc Guest

I think I'll just post two that aren't on here yet:

Shrimp and Snow Peas

2 cups frozen shrimp (i prefer tails on but it's your call)
    3 cups snow/snap peas (washed and ready to eat)
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    2 tsp olive oil (or any other healthy oil)
    1/4 cup black bean sauce
    2 tbsp soy sauce

Combine garlic, olive oil, and shrimp in pan and sauté (medium-high heat) until shrimp are no longer frozen. Add peas (in shell) and sauces. Sauté for 3-5 minutes and cover for the final minute.

Eat with brown rice or on its own if you've already had your rice/potatoes/pasta serving for the day. I just love this one. I have it once a week. It reminds me of the snow pea and shrimp dumplings I ordered at Dim Sum but it is core. Yum yum!

Smoothies

I make these when I'm craving ice cream or if I realize I need a dairy serving and possibly fruit/veg.

1 cup fat free plane yogurt
    1 cup frozen berries (I also like frozen peaches and mango)
    1 ripe banana
    2 tsp Splenda (or sugar free Torani syrup in any appealing flavour – I like strawberry)
    milk to thin (if needed)

Blend and enjoy. I like mine really thick so I have to eat it with a spoon.

IW: 206
    CW: 158
    GW: 145

Quote Originally Posted by summerset

Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add onion, garlic and peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes. .
    Summerset - I can't find any info on "peppers" in your recipe - how many? What colour? chopped, diced, sliced?

This looks like something we would enjoy - no sour cream on top though!
    (Can't mix meat and dairy at the same meal)

Thanks!
    Fran
    Success is how you define it.

Quote Originally Posted by superlawyermom
    Summerset - I can't find any info on "peppers" in your recipe - how many? What colour? chopped, diced, sliced?

This looks like something we would enjoy - no sour cream on top though!
    (Can't mix meat and dairy at the same meal)

Thanks!
    Fran
    Not summerset here , but I assume the peppers is referring to the jalapeno!

Amy
    SiFi - 114 lbs gone, 80ish lbs left to lose
    DS: 1 year
    DD: 2 years

Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast