Thread: Fruit

Default Fruit

I am confused.
    I hope that I have understood things properly.
    Now I am not sure
    I do not live in the States. I thought that I could eat as much fruit as I wanted if it counted for 0 points. Yesterday I was really hungry and now I am upset because of my husband. Also sice yesterday I seem to have gained 4 lbs...
    I did a lot of exercise and was hungry and ate peaches and apricots whicha re 0 points.
    have I done wrong?
    If so what do I do whaen I am really hungry.
    I get headaches when I am very hungry and can't work. I cannot afford to get headaches as I am also a student sitting some very difficult exams and have to revise hard..

Default Re: Fruit

Well most fruits are 1 points some are 2 but it sounds like the ones you are eating are 1. To avoid being hungry drink water through out the day that will keep you filled up between meals and when your points are all gone eat veggies like snow peas, carrot sticks, celery, ect.... Other then not counting the fruit you sound like your doing great, and you really dont gain 4 lbs. in one day all you need to do is drink all of your water you need atleast 6 8 oz glasses aday.
    As for fruits bananas are 2pts. Oranges, apples grapes apricotes pears peaches and most other fruit is 1pt.

Jillian, thanks for answering me.

This is different from the info that I have in France.
    Here much of the fruit is 0 points but I have founf out today that I cannot eat more than 5 fruit per day.

I am English and live in France. The French stuff seems different from the US or the English info. I started ages ago in England with WW.

Any way thanks for the encouragement and the help .

I don't like celery.
    is it possible to make soup and drink that throughout the day instead?
    Are vegetables 0 points on the US programme as in France?

PS what on earth are 'snow peas' ....

TryingWW Guest

Actually, our group leader told us that you should only have 1 fruit per day and that the point value that you use is by the book (0-2 points). I would be in heaven if I could have 5 fruits a day, even if I did have to count the points! Of course using 10 points a day on fruit would be half my daily point allotment!!

Dee

Replies

our group leader told us that you should only have 1 fruit per day
    Wow! I have never heard of a leader saying only 1 fruit per day. That is crazy and doesn't seem to be totally consistent with WWs philosophy. Especcially since one of the guidelines is "eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day" - not, eat 1 fruit and 4 veggies per day. Besides, suppose you eat a banana with breakfast and when you are hungry later you want a peach. But, you choose a snack bar instead because you already had a fruit? Seems counter-intutitive to me.

The Flex Plan is about eating WHATEVER YOU WANT and counting the points. So 2, 3, 4 fruits? Go for it. Just count it. (I am on Core and I eat more fruit than ANYTHING else - Sometimes I even eat 3 and 4 bananas in a day. And, I have lost fine.)

I do not live in the States.
    You should probably follow whatever program you have in France. There are definately differences in the programs due to culture, environment and availability of foods. Don't worry, all the programs are tested, so as long as you pick a program and stick with it, you will lose. That being said, you might want to pop into the international forum sometimes and see if you can find anybuddy from France - they may be able to answer specfic questions for you as well.

here much of the fruit is 0 points but I have founf out today that I cannot eat more than 5 fruit per day.
    If you get to eat 5 fruits a day for "free," enjoy it! I certainly do!
    Original SW: 149
    New SW (11/8/10): 138
    CW: 132
    GW: 125

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

Replies

What the WWer material (for the US) states is that you should have a minimum of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. There is NO limit on how many servings you can have, 5 is the minimum. There is also NO limit on how many fruits you can have. Pretty much all fruits do have points, so unless you are eating a very small amount (which probably wouldn't count as a full serving anyway) you can't eat unlimited fruit and not count the points. Many veggies are 0 points and those you can eat in an unlimited amount. Veggies that you do need to count points for (but still count as veggie servings) are the starchy veggies like corn, potaoes, and some beans.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Lady
    I am confused.
    I hope that I have understood things properly.
    Now I am not sure
    I do not live in the States. I thought that I could eat as much fruit as I wanted if it counted for 0 points. Yesterday I was really hungry and now I am upset because of my husband. Also sice yesterday I seem to have gained 4 lbs...
    I did a lot of exercise and was hungry and ate peaches and apricots whicha re 0 points.
    have I done wrong?
    If so what do I do whaen I am really hungry.
    I get headaches when I am very hungry and can't work. I cannot afford to get headaches as I am also a student sitting some very difficult exams and have to revise hard..
    If you are in France you should follow the WW Program for France.

Many of the rules are different from those we have in the US and all the responses you have gotten so far do not apply to you! I have told TryingWW that the rules her leader gave her don't even apply in the US!

Perhaps you should go to a meeting and get the latest directly from WW in France.

Either way, a lot of veggies are 0 Points and yes it is OK to make soup with them and eat that.

And don't worry about changes in your weight from one day to the next. You will make yourself crazy. There are so many things it could be. Worry about your weight from one week to the next.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

TryingWW Guest

GB,

I agree that what my leader says shouldn't be. I've often thought the very same thing about eating pretzels vs. a piece of fruit. And the question has been raised at several meetings. She says that you are only to have one fruit because you are just substituiting fruit for the sugar you are use to eating in your diet. She also says that WW is increasing your vegtables.

My thought is that is precisely the point: isn't it better to have a piece of fruit than a chocolate bar? In any case since most of my favorite fruits are 1-2 points, I can't really "afford" more than 1 or 2 pieces of fruit, let alone a chocolate bar!

Dee

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by TryingWW
    I agree that what my leader says shouldn't be. I've often thought the very same thing about eating pretzels vs. a piece of fruit. And the question has been raised at several meetings. She says that you are only to have one fruit because you are just substituiting fruit for the sugar you are use to eating in your diet. She also says that WW is increasing your vegtables.
    I wonder if your leader is taking this position based on her own experiences. I haven't seen this written, or heard it spoken, by anyone else.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Replies

I eat fruit at least 3 times a day or I crave processed sugar...if I put in the real natural form in fruit, then I do not crave the chocolate or other garbage...I am not sure what the philosophy behind only 1 piece of fruit a day would be....you might want to talk to your leader or another person at your ww place....

MrsD
    I make a choice to choose the JOY of the LORD today...and tomorrow...and to make each day count for HIM.

start weight 174
    current weight 161
    recommittment loss 3 pounds

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by TryingWW
    GB,
    I can't really "afford" more than 1 or 2 pieces of fruit, let alone a chocolate bar!
    Dee
    Try Core - you don't have to "afford" anything.
    Original SW: 149
    New SW (11/8/10): 138
    CW: 132
    GW: 125

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

Thankyou all for your help.

I do not know what CORE is. In France I have not heard of this. I live in the back of beyond and everything is a bit old fashioned.

What the WWer material (for the US) states is that you should have a minimum of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. There is NO limit on how many servings you can have, 5 is the minimum. There is also NO limit on how many fruits you can have. Pretty much all fruits do have points, so unless you are eating a very small amount (which probably wouldn't count as a full serving anyway) you can't eat unlimited fruit and not count the points. Many veggies are 0 points and those you can eat in an unlimited amount. Veggies that you do need to count points for (but still count as veggie servings) are the starchy veggies like corn, potaoes, and some beans.Thanks for this info Luanne.
    Does ths mean then that if I am eating fruit which has 0 points then, like vegetables, I can eat as much as I want?
    Here in france, for instance, peaches and apricots are 0 points and they are at this moment waiting on the floor under the tree.
    if I can eat as much as I want then I'll go and bottle them. If not I'll forget about them and let the worms take care of them

Replies

Again, you are asking questions that involve mixing the plans from different countries and you are getting confused.

If a food such as fruit is 0 Points in your country, then it is unlimited. In the case of 0 Point foods with calories (such as fruit), your leader may recommend a limit if you start having problems losing weight, but until that happens you don't have to worry about it.

If by "bottle them" you mean preserve them using a boiling water process, I'd go ahead and do it. But preserve them without adding sugar, just a little stuff to keep them from turning color. Then you will have apricots for the whole year. If you add sugar, they probably won't be 0 Points any more. I have found that preserving without sugar works just fine, though you may want to add a citric acid product to keep them from turning color.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Thanks for your help.

I have managed to find out some info on French sites and the french programme thanks to guidance from this end. And things are falling into place a bit better now.:walking:

Hi Pink Lady,

I am doing ww in Italy and my understanding is that the European programs are pretty much the same. In fact most of the fruit for me is also 0 points except a few exceptions.
    Now, how much fruit you can eat it really depent how your body reacts to it. For example I noticed that if I eat more than 2 fruits serving per day I normally gain or stall. So I tried to do 3 serving of veggies and 2 servings of fruit per day.
    Other people at my meetings eat even 4 servings of fruit per day and they lose: lucky them!!!
    So my advise is just to pay attention for a couple of weeks how your body reacts changing the amount of fruit that you eat everyday and you will have a better idea what's going on!
    hope this can help
    ciao

Teresa
    sw kg 94.80 (208.8 lb) cw Kg 66.8 (147 lb)
    1st gw: kg 83.00 (183 lb) 22 DEC 04
    2nd gw:kg 75.00 (165.2) 30 MAY 05
    3rd gw: kg 70.30 (155 lbs) nov 06
    4th gw: kg 67.50 (148.5 lbs) dec 06
    last gw: kg 60.00 (132 lb)

" Non mollare l'osso"

Silly question -- why do foods have different point values based upon the country in which they are consumed??
    Grace

Back to WW for Good 8/6/2010

Different countries have different formulas for calculating points mostly due to labeling practices. Many products overseas don't show fiber so it would be hard to calculate North American Points. I think cultural issues are also involved in the decisions about what to count and how to count it.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

In any case since most of my favorite fruits are 1-2 points, I can't really "afford" more than 1 or 2 pieces of fruit, let alone a chocolate bar!
    Actually, I usually get all of my "fruit and veggie" serving from fruit for 2-3 points. This is a must for me since I don't like most vegetables.

For example I can eat one and a half cups of sliced strawberries for 1 point and then 1 cup of a grapes for 1 point. Thus I have 5 servings for a total of 2 points. Just thought you might be interested.

Tina
    250/138/140/130

112 pounds lost so far!!!!

My newest accomplishment: BodyAttack Instructor!!!!!

"If you kind of work the program, you kind of lose weight. If you really work the program, you really lose weight!"

See my pictures at: http://www.picturetrail.com/missmath

twitterpated Guest

Let me start out by saying I am in the US, and when I started in 2001, the WW leader told me that she was giving me a special gift, letting me eat all the fruit I wanted with the exception of bananas at for free. Since then and even at the time, I noticed that fruit does indeed have points. However, she justified that in the beginning, you are coming down in calories so fast, and a few pieces of fruit will just satisfy the sweet tooth that would otherwise go to something higher in points. I still do not count fruit, and for me, its never been an issue, sounds like its the european plan I am on

Jaimee