Thread: 94% fat free popcorn points question

Replies

Default 94% fat free popcorn points question

When I first started WW, I was told by a fellow WW'er that those regular size bags of the 94% fat free popcorn were 2 points for the entire bag.

I am reading from the posts on here that they are actually 4 points per bag?

Which is it?

Sheesh, no wonder my weight loss has slowed to a crawl. If that's the case then I'm having 2 points extra Mon-Fri that aren't being accounted for.

AND..I'm counting the little snack size bags as 1 point since they are half the portion size of the regular size bags.

So, are the full size bags 2 points or 4?????
    **Sharyn**
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169
    CW: 161
    GW: 140

Default Re: 94% fat free popcorn points question

I thought they were 2.5 points. I hope they aren't 4!! I eat it everyday!!
    Jerica

Start date: 4-20-06

Isabella born 11-1-05

5'8"
    SW 160
    CW 134!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GW 135
    PGW 125

Eat to live, not live to eat!!

Those microwave popcorn bags are CRAZY - who cares about nutritional info for unpopped popcorn??? Someone (Joanne, I think) posted a link with excellent popcorn points info quite some time ago, but I can't find it. It really depends on brand and variety, but the gist I got from that link was that a full size bag of 94% FF popcorn was 4 points and the smaller bags were 2 points. I checked the NI of the bags I have and they do come out to 4 points for the whole bag. I've been around BCB since 2003 and this question always comes up and gets debated. Best thing to do is pop a bag, measure how many cups you get and then compare that with the NI to figure your points - and then use that number from then out.
    ~ Pam ~
    homeschooling mom to 3 girls
    "It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustme
    Those microwave popcorn bags are CRAZY - who cares about nutritional info for unpopped popcorn???
    I know! Who eats unpopped popcorn??? Not to sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist, but, when I see that I just think the manufacturer has something to hide. I haven't eaten microwave popcorn in over a year b/c of that and the trans fats. This thing has been debated so often and I don't think we've ever reached a good consensus on it.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Replies

Ok..according to the Getting Started booklet, 94% fat free MW popcorn is 1 point for 5 cups. There is no way u are getting more than 10 cups of popped popcorn out of one of those bags, at least not the way my MW pops it!

I know for sure I'm not getting any 5 cups out of those little snack bags, probably closer to 4 so those shouldn't even count as 1 point.

So, I'm back to thinking that 1 full bag, if you are getting 10 cups of popped popcorn out of it, is 2 points, and those small snack bags are only 1 point.

I'd like to hear from someone that is sure those bags are 4 points, and how they got this total.
    **Sharyn**

I don't eat microwave popcorn due to the trans fats, so I can't vouch for the accuracy but I found these with google
    Dotti's Popcorn Points
    Put down the Donut - popcorn Points
    hungry girl explains popcorn ni
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Replies

LOL this varies with the type of flavor of popcorn one eats and from manufacturer to manufacturer.

That is NUTS.

Popcorn is popcorn, either it's 94% fat free or it isn't.

If you count the popped popcorn by the cup and go with what is in the booklet, it IS only 2 points per entire large bag, 1 point for the smaller bags.

If you go by what's on the bag, it's 4 points.

I think maybe I'll just split the difference and call it 3 points, and quit having it every day
    **Sharyn**

You could also just pop plain corn on the stove.
    I bought a Presto Power Pop so I can control the fat and calories. It's a great way to get in your healthy oils too.

I have two. One for work and one for home.
    Joanne

Quote Originally Posted by plcm111195
    You could also just pop plain corn on the stove.
    I bought a Presto Power Pop so I can control the fat and calories. It's a great way to get in your healthy oils too.

I have two. One for work and one for home.
    I have one of these too! I love it. I should get one for work b/c that's where I ate popcorn most. I spritz soy sauce and then add garlic salt to mine ~ my doctor said to get more sodium so that was one of my strategies
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

10. Default Re: 94% fat free popcorn points question

I found the Jolly Time 94% FF is 2.5 for the entire large bag.
    SW 245
    CW 185
    Goal 135
    60 Pounds Gone Forever
    Smoke Free 739 Days

Replies

I just found the presto power pop thingie...I was a little "iffy" on if it would work right. I am glad to know it does, thanks for sharing!

MrsD
    I make a choice to choose the JOY of the LORD today...and tomorrow...and to make each day count for HIM.

start weight 174
    current weight 161
    recommittment loss 3 pounds

I've always counted a whole bag of Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop 94% Fat Free as 2 points. The NI says there are 2 servings of about 7 cups popped by I just measured and I only got 10 cups and the bag was full. There isn't any Trans Fat in the popcorn but sodium is a little high (350 mg per serving).
    Deb

Quote Originally Posted by Deb1741
    There isn't any Trans Fat in the popcorn but sodium is a little high (350 mg per serving).
    Deb
    Nothing personal Deb, this is one of my pet peeves. How they can say there are no trans fats when the second ingredient is Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil. They can say that because there is less than .5 gram per serving, but it is in there. RRRRR.
    Joanne

Replies

We get the moni bags of the act II 94% ff butter, and they are 1pt. 0 for me on core. I also pop my own in my dads popper, then i either use pam on it, or chili powder or cinnamon.
    I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!
    2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

soon2bshapely Guest

Yesterday when i was in Wal Mart...i seen for the first time Orville has a 100 cal pack. I worked it out...it's 1 point.

Bev

RIP 18.6lbs :walking:

Replies

You can pop whole kernals in a brown lunch bag (with or without healthy oils) and control your servings.

I point it out at big bag =2, little bag =1. I am on Core so it doesn't count either way.
    Original SW: 149
    New SW (11/8/10): 138
    CW: 132
    GW: 125

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

I tried the microwave it yourself way, it works quite well and is really easy. Also, this way I know that 3tbs unpopped kernels is 2 points. I'm not sure how many cups this will pop, but at least I know I'm eating 1 point at a time. I am spraying the kernels with a tiny bit of PAM before nuking. But I don't think it's really necessary. I'll update this post later when I make it again. I'll try to figure out how much it makes and if oil or PAM is necessary.

*********Ok, here's my update. I put 3 tbs in a bag and popped it. 1 Tbs remained unpopped, the rest made 2 1/2 cups popped corn. Also, I added 1/2 packet of crystal lite drink mix and shook the bag well to coat. I'm eating Fruit Punch Popcorn, it's so good. And all for 1 point.
    Last edited by Mere150; 06-13-2006 at 12:23 PM.
    Mere

HW: 250 (just new to WW)
    SW:188.8
    CW: 165.6 (5.4 loss over 1 1/2 weeks!)
    For lifetime:143 (I think) 22.6 to go
    Personal Goal: 130 or so

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made--Psalm 139:14

[QUOTE=Mere150]I. 1 Tbs remained unpopped, the rest made 2 1/2 cups popped corn. Also, I added 1/2 packet of crystal lite drink mix and shook the bag well to coat. I'm eating Fruit Punch Popcorn, it's so good. And all for 1 point.[/QUOTE]

ARe you taking out the 3 TBS from a regular premixed bag? How many TBS are in the total bag?
    ~*~ Amy

[QUOTE=dosbabe]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mere150
    I. 1 Tbs remained unpopped, the rest made 2 1/2 cups popped corn. Also, I added 1/2 packet of crystal lite drink mix and shook the bag well to coat. I'm eating Fruit Punch Popcorn, it's so good. And all for 1 point.[/QUOTE]

ARe you taking out the 3 TBS from a regular premixed bag? How many TBS are in the total bag?
    I think she's just using Plain unpopped popcorn.
    Joanne

I actually wrote to Jolly time years ago to get an accurate point count since I eat Jolly time 94% FF Pop corn every day!! They said the entire bag is 2.5 points.

yes, I meant plain upopped kernels. Like you would put into a poppcorn popper. NOT out of a bag that would normally go into the microwave.
    Mere

HW: 250 (just new to WW)
    SW:188.8
    CW: 165.6 (5.4 loss over 1 1/2 weeks!)
    For lifetime:143 (I think) 22.6 to go
    Personal Goal: 130 or so

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made--Psalm 139:14

Replies

All popcorn is not equal. Some varieties have more sugar than others (in the popcorn kernal, not added. So the calorie content can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and flavor to flavor.
    Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.

23. Default Re: 94% fat free popcorn points question

I'm a WW's online member and the website say's:
    • JOLLY TIME Mini size - 94fat free, butter flavor pop corn, microwave, popped 5 cups = 1 pt.
    • Pop-Secret 94Fat-Free Butter Popcorn, 6 cups = 2 pts.
    • Act II 94Fat Free Butter Popcorn, 6 3/4 cups = 2 pts.
    • Orville Redenbacher's 94Fat Free Butter, Popped, 7 3/4 cups = 2 pts.
    There's a ton of other types, none over 2 pts. for 5 cups. If anyone has any particular brand they want to know the point values for, let me know.