Thread: Another MC idiot...

Question Another MC idiot...

Hello everyone!

I bought MC 9, because I had found these conversations on BCB. Now, despite all of the wonderful possibilities that everyone speaks of, I have to commisserate with all of you who have been confused by it. I did the tutorial and looked at the websites you mentioned. However, I'm having trouble with a couple of different things:

WHERE does it calculate points???!!! That is why I bought it, and I can't see the points on it anywhere!

Also, when I imported one of my favorite recipes, the assistant kept putting half of the ingredient list in the directions. In that way, they aren't counted in the nutrition! This is giving me major pain!

Please help...
    Tash
    154/ 134/ 130
    Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
    1 John 4:7

wreckless_saboteur Guest

Default Re: Another MC idiot...

It was a little confusing at first for me too. I only bought it two weeks ago and you get the hang of it real quick. The easiest way I found to do it is: You copy and paste your recipe into the directions section. Then cut each ingredient and paste them into the ingredient section at the top one by one. Then cut and paste the different directions into the directions section at the bottom. It sounds harder than it is... it really only takes a few minutes.

As for the points, it will not count the points automatically, but it will give you the calories/fat/fiber per serving and you just use your WW points calculator to get the point value.

MC is amazingly convenient once you get the hang of it, and after a few days, you'll be whipping through it!

So how do we get it to recognize the ingredients/nutrients? If it doesn't do that, it's a big waste of time trying to figure points. I've had it a couple of years and I still can't understand why it doesn't recognize some ingredients.
    ~*~ Amy

If it doesn't recognize the ingredient you have a couple choices.
    You can try to find a similar ingredient in the database or you can input your custom information.

I just recently put in a recipe for a buddy that said 1 chopped bell pepper. MC didn't recognize "chopped bell pepper" so I just changed that to bell pepper and added chopped in the preparation box.

If for example, you have a certain brand of product you use, you can insert a custom ingredient under Tools/Ingredient List then click New. There are some tricks to making it get the NI right for custom ingredients so I always put a new ingredient in a blank recipe to check to see it's calculating correctly.

The custom ingredient screen says "For an accurate nutritional analysis, enter as many equivalent values as possible" This is very true. I find I need to add at least serving size and one of the two "is equal to weight" or "equals volume" to get it to calculate properly. Even if I put my serving size in grams I put it again in the "is equal to weight" box.

HTH
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will try your suggestions.
    ~*~ Amy

Yeah! Thank you for the help! I added points as "categories" and the search works wonderfully!!!
    154/ 134/ 130
    Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
    1 John 4:7

There's a VALUABLE Mastercook 9 user guide at the Yahoo! Mastercook discussion site. I took the MsterCook 6 PDF and updated it with the new info for MC 7, 8 and now 9.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MastercookDiscussion/

The F1 key is a great place to look as well in Mastercook.

Glenn