Thread: Bagged omelettes

Replies

Default Bagged omelettes

Oh, wow.

Now I know I've seen these on BCB before, but holy mess... are they EVER delish.

Just take eggs (I did one whole, 3 whites for 3 pts), mix, add whatever filling you want, and boil in a freezer bag for 10-13 min. I did mine for 11 min.

They slide out nicely, they're neat, you don't have to worry about clean-up of a griddle or skillet or missing the oil in using Pam. Plus, if you're in a rush, you can use a stock pot and do a family of 4 in 13 min once they're made. And if they're not on WW, you can use full-pt whole eggs, whole fat cheese, whole fat bacon or ham and not have to worry about your own serving.

Lordyyy... a new favorite 3-4 pt meal.

Today, I added:

1 cup spinach
    Fresh basil leaves
    chopped onion
    1 serving Alouette lite herbed cheese (it's magic!)
    Broccali florets

and I topped with the smallest bit of ff salsa.

Wow. I think I might do this for dinner sometime soon!
    Started WW: 4/13/06

PeakW: 196
    SW: 191.6
    CW: 175.8
    WWGW: 141.2
    PGW: 125-130

1st 10 lbs: 5/18

Total lost since April 13: 15.8 lbs!

im-worth-it Guest

Default Re: Bagged omelettes

This sounds really good. I wil try ot brkfst tomorrow. I am always in need of quick, great tasting brkfst recipes.
    Sara

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm writing it down to make one morning. I had a great need for a simple yet filling breakfast one morning and couldn't come up with any thing. This would have totally fit the bill. Prepare the night before and drop into a pot while getting ready the next morning. I love the versatility of this!!
    Ya Ya Name: Empress Weeping River

loozinforlife Guest

Thumbs up Re: Bagged omelettes

Well...I'm a believer!!! Tried this this morning and it was WONDERFUL!!!! Put 3 eggs in a ziplock freezer quart bag with chopped onion, chopped canadian bacon and FF Feta cheese, little salt and pepper, cooked it for 12 minutes and it was as high and fluffy as the restaurant omlettes!! Mine in the pan always are flat!! If you are on core, this was great!!! For Flex, I would use some Egg Beaters for fewer Points! People think I'm crazy but I've told everyone about these 'boiled' omlettes!! Sure won't be the last one I make and I won't miss the clean-up of the skillet!!

Try it if you haven't!!

Replies

I was told about these by someone else but never tried them. Maybe I will try it for dinner this evening.
    Laura Elizabeth
    Born May 7th 2005
    A miracle blessing indeed.

Bpiperno1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loozinforlife
    If you are on core, this was great!!! For Flex, I would use some Egg Beaters for fewer Points! People think I'm crazy but I've told everyone about these 'boiled' omlettes!! Sure won't be the last one I make and I won't miss the clean-up of the skillet!!

Try it if you haven't!!
    Has anyone tried it yet with Egg Beaters? I'm interested to see if it alters the time.

Replies

I have seen these posts and thought it was the most ridiculous thing I had heard of - -cooking eggs in a ziploc. I am very, very picky when it comes to my eggs. I couldn't stand it any longer and this is what I had for lunch with hubby and me. 1/2 Cup Southwestern Egg beaters, 2 T chopped ham, one green onion sliced fined and 2 Tablespoons red bell pepper and one slice 2% cheese torn into pieces, plus salt and pepper. I boiled it for 12 minutes.

And you guys were right! * ! * ! It was delish, and no mess.
    I strive to be the person, my dog thinks I am.

Between Tomorrow's Dream
    Yesterday's Regret
    Is Today's Opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bpiperno1
    Has anyone tried it yet with Egg Beaters? I'm interested to see if it alters the time.
    I tried Egg Beaters in a Bag - cooked em for 11 minutes - they were mostly perfect except there was a lot of extra liquid in there too - I don't think I had too many veggies, or if egg beaters has some water or something extra in it.

Anyway, I left that "water" for the dogs, and ate the omelette - it was great! And no mess to clean up (especially after the dogs licked the plate)(ha - just kidding, I DID wash it afterwards)(really)
    Chris
    HiWgt(5/11/05) 235
    1st WWStartWgt(3/27/06) 204.4
    New WWStartWgt (10/9/09) 180.4, WW Goal 146

Replies

I didn't have any excess water. I did let them set for maybe a minute before eating and they were perfect.
    I strive to be the person, my dog thinks I am.

Between Tomorrow's Dream
    Yesterday's Regret
    Is Today's Opportunity.

Replies

Another dumb question..everyone keeps saying how they just slide out when they are done.

Um, when you boil them, I'm assuming you actually put the freezer bag in a pot of boiling water and close the bag? You DO boil these with the bag closed right?

LOL for those of us that are cooking challenged, one must spell EVERYTHING out.
    **Sharyn**
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169
    CW: 161
    GW: 140

same question as above..........do you just put the bag in the microwave or set it is water?

duh question

Replies

Pandora- The bag should be closed completely - squeeze the extra air out of the bag before zipping. When they are fully cooked, you upzip the bag and they slide right out.

joannao58 - Put the zipped bags in water and boil them. If you made extras, you could have one for breakfast the next day. Take them out of the bag, place on a plate, cover with another plate or paper towel, and nuke for 1-2 minutes or till hot enough to suit you.

Hope this helps - gals.

Diane
    Diane

237 - 1/3/6
    198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

Replies

Tried these this morning. Great and no mess to clean up. Thanks for posting.

Replies

I made these on a camping trip and everyone loved them. It was so easy and they were delicious. I also just made these on Sunday for some family that I had over for a mimosa breakfast. I had bowls of toppings and everyone made their own. You just mark each persons name on their bag with a sharpie marker. The best part was that they were all done at the same time. Try doing that with regular omelettes.

If I remember correctly, the original post said they must be cooked for exactly 13 minutes. That may be the reason for the extra liquid someone had.
    Mary

Replies

I just made this in preparation of my first CORE breakfast tomorrow morning

It turned out fine, which is amazing for me since I'm not much of a cook. In other words, if I can do it, anyone can.

I used egg beaters and boiled it for 15 mins and it wasnt watery at all.

Tomorrow I'm going to nuke it, top it with some FF cheddar cheese and have an awesome breakfast!
    **Sharyn**
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169
    CW: 161
    GW: 140

Is anyone else concerned about cooking in plastic? I don't even like to reheat leftovers in plastic anymore, I always use pyrex glass containers for storage now... Just wondering if anyone else felt the same way!
    RiKKi
    hw253/sw200.4/cw 197.8/gw160
    3days 100% OP!

I was a little worried about that because they say the plastic "leaches" into the food. They say it's bad for kids to have plastic lunchboxes anymore. Plus, when I made them the bags got really thin and the eggs didn't cook evenly. I think I will continue to make eggs the old fashioned way.
    AmAnDa

original SW: 188 lbs
    SW after recommitting: 168.2 lbs
    GW: 135 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by RiKKi
    Is anyone else concerned about cooking in plastic? I don't even like to reheat leftovers in plastic anymore, I always use pyrex glass containers for storage now... Just wondering if anyone else felt the same way!
    When I first heard about this, I wondered the same thing. Don't know the answer, and haven't yet tried the omelette, but I probably will, just because I'm curious. Maybe once won't hurt (unless I love it and get addicted...).
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Replies

I've also tried these and they are excellent. I did read on the internet that the company, Glad or Zip Lock issued a statement that these bags are not meant to be boiled with food in them. I'm sure you could google the info and find out.
    We had six adults and one teen trying this........we all loved it. No clean up and they turn out wonderful!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by PetPartner
    I've also tried these and they are excellent. I did read on the internet that the company, Glad or Zip Lock issued a statement that these bags are not meant to be boiled with food in them. I'm sure you could google the info and find out.
    We had six adults and one teen trying this........we all loved it. No clean up and they turn out wonderful!
    OK, to answer my own statement, here is a website and answer from Zip Lock

http://foodsafety.psu.edu/showit.cfm?record=66

Yeah, but I'll still make them because they are easy and good. I don't eat them daily (or even every week) so I'm not too worried about the plastic. Personally, I think they don't want us boiling the bags because of potenial burn issues more than anything.
    "Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

Replies

WOW!!!!!!

Ok I tried it and thats a step itself because of all the anxiety over the "boiling plastic"

Well worth it, no mess, not fuss and I used this for my delicious breakfast

3 egg beaters egg whites
    3 tbsp Centrella Mixed Onions, GP, RP (yummy)
    1 oz of low fat/skim mozzy cheese
    dash of salt

threw it in a bag for 11 min ans voila Breakfast was sooooo good today and it took 2 pts. I agree I think the boiling factor is the biggest worry with those companies, think of all the food in the micro we cook in plastic, even the covered plastic...... to whoever thought this one up!!!
    P.S my dog doesn't like you because he didn't get any offerings..haha poor Maggs.

~With God all things are possible~

myspace.com/mikeysangel76
    Love,
    Laurie

23. Default Re: Bagged omelettes

this is a fun thing to do for a group of people at an event (camping, tailgate party, etc.). Set out an assortment of "fixings", a big bowl of mixed eggs and a ladle, and a Sharpie for folks to write their name on their personal bag....and everyone goes through the line like a salad bar and adds personal favorites to their baggie of egg mixture.

Use a big pot of boiling water...voila! Breakfast for a group.

24. Default Re: Bagged omelettes

I have made these before. They are so good