Thread: What is gnocchi?

jillinmo Guest

Default What is gnocchi?

I have a recipe that calls for gnocchi. The picture looks like it's a pasta of some sort -- but I couldn't find it at the store in the pasta section.

I didn't know where to look for it because I've never heard of it before and not sure what it is.....

Thanks

Jill

Default Re: What is gnocchi?

It's a very heavy pasta, almost like a solid shell... I believe it's potato-based and I'm thinking not very point-friendly thought it's delicious!

jillinmo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lbab
    It's a very heavy pasta, almost like a solid shell... I believe it's potato-based and I'm thinking not very point-friendly thought it's delicious!
    Thank you. I'll keep looking. It was actually in the WW Stir-it-Up cook book - - with a 6 point/serving rating.

Jill

Gnocchi
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gnocchi (pronounced NYO-ki; [ˈɲjɒkːi]) is the Italian word for dumplings; in Italian, gnocchi is the plural of gnocco, which literally means "lump". They can be made of potato and semolina (durum wheat) or flour, ricotta cheese (with or without spinach), or semolina. One variety, gnocchi di pane, popular in the Friuli and Trentino-South Tyrol regions, is made from bread crumbs. Although the dish is Italian, the word comes from a Germanic word for a knot (as in wood), possibly because of its short, squat shape. Gnocchi are often listed among pasta dishes, although gnocchi has different ingredients and mode of preparation. They can be purchased dried, or fresh in vacuum sealed packages. The fresh ones are generally considered to be superior.

My grandmother used to make them, but I buy them in a package like this:
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

5. Default Re: What is gnocchi?

the best gnocchi i ever had was at a little hole in the wall restaraunt in Anaheim about 10 years ago. It was in a creamy pesto sauce. I still think about that meal every now and then.......darn fine meal....
    Roger

they are an italian dumpling made from potato and flour........very delicious but not very ww friendly............
    ~~Toni~~
    "If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living."

You won't find them in the pasta aisle, btw. You will more than likely find them in the frozen food section where they have the cheese ravioli & frozen garlic bread.

I love gnocchi... OMG it's one of my favorite foods !!!
    Jodee SW: 223 CW: 177 PW:178.5 GW:??
    Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe