Thread: Mashed Cauliflower

Question Mashed Cauliflower

Just wanted to see what some other people thought of this. I am funny with the veggies I eat and I really want "mashed potatoes" but don't want to use the points. I saw a recipe that uses LF cream cheese and RF parmesan. It comes to 1 point per serving but I am skeptical...does cauliflower really taste like MP?
    Thanks for any input!
    China
    SW: 200.6
    CW: 179.8
    GW: 140 (What??? Just kidding!! I CAN do that!!)
    PGW: 165

Default Re: Mashed Cauliflower

I've never had it... but a friend of mine makes it and swears it tastes like mashed potatoes! Her 8 year old doesn't know the difference when she makes them... and my friend has never clued her in.

Good Luck!

Hailey Guest

I have been eating this for years as well as mashed rutabega, I prefer to put the cauliflower in the food processor to make it smoother, but otherwise it's very tasty.

I tried it the other day. I steamed cauliflower then add ff cream cheese, spray butter and galic salt. it was good, not exactly like mashed potatos but good
    April
    HW 370/CW 307.4/ GW 150
    http://redd2lose.webs.com/ My Blog and Website

TEAM RED

Antiqueslover Guest

I make this sometimes. It does not taste too much like mashed potatoes, but it is good. You can jazz it up with some chives or salsa.

Candy L

Hi China!

I love these! Try this recipe:
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...ad.php?t=64308
    Carla
    Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6
    CW 167.6
    WW goal 165
    Personal Goal 155

Thanks for the input everyone!

Hi Carla!! I will try that one out tonight! I just hope I can find that cheese in my food store!
    China

Replies

I like Mashed Cauliflower. If you cannot find Laughing Cow Cheese, I think Cream Cheese (FF) would be fine. At Kroger's it is located near the deli counter.
    I strive to be the person, my dog thinks I am.

Between Tomorrow's Dream
    Yesterday's Regret
    Is Today's Opportunity.

Tiffy_Sugar Guest

I have not had mashed cauliflower, but I have found a really great way to make mashed potatoes without the extra points! Its super yummy and even my hubby (who is very in shape and eats nothing but fatty foods) LOVES them this way as opposed to the "fatty way" with whole milk, butter, and sour cream. Heres my recipe:

4 large russet potatoes, peeled and boiled (I use red potatoes or goldens sometimes just for a change)
    1 cup fat free chicken stock or boullion
    1 - 2 tablespoons butter buds

Mash all this together with some salt and petter to taste and its yummy! I'll even make up some fat free (from the package) brown gravy to pour over it and it tastes great! If I am really craving that "fatty" taste, I'll add in a tablespoon or two of FF milk or non-fat soy milk or even some FF sour cream. This is the best for that mashed potatoe craving and it will feed about 6 people. 1 pt. per serving w/o the gravy. Oh, and you can also make some grilled chicken breasts, put it on top of a 1/2 cup of the mashed potatoes, then laddle over it some 99% FF cream of chicken or mushroom soup. YUMMY! All for just 5 pts (using a 4 oz peice of skinless, boneless chicken)

Replies

Years ago at WW they gave a recipe for tuna burgers - blended cauliflower, onion powder, a bit of worsteshire (?) , salt, pepper, shape into burgers and bake. Not bad. I eat the mashed cauliflower all the time with ICBINB sprayed on them. I also used the blender or food processor to make them smooth.
    Lifetimer since April 2001
    195/135/150WW

I tried it too with the laughing cow cheese. It did not taste exactly like mashed potatoes, but it was very good. I mashed mine with a potato masher and they were a little lumpy. I think I will try the food processor next time. I did feel like I was eating something rich and cheesy though and I will make them again.
    Janice
    Ya-Ya Name: Duchess Five and Dime

SW243/CW219/GW137

There are only 2 choices: make progress or make excuses.

Some succeed because they are destined; others succeed because they are DETERMINED.

Replies

I'm really picky... do you really taste the Cauliflower??
    Chantal
    Learning to love myself everyday
    5'8"
    SW 241.2 (08/18/08)
    CW 234.0
    GW 175

1st - 2% goal - 5lbs (Sep 07/08)
    2nd - 2% goal - 5lbs (Oct ?/08)

Just to give another opinion---I cannot stand mashed cauliflower. I have tried to make it and have tasted some made at a restaurant and I did not like it at all. I would rather count the points for mashed potatoes any day. Just my opinion. I don't know if you can taste the cauliflower, but I thought I could---it could just be because the idea never really appealed to me in the first place.

I'm not big on steamed veggies, though, and not big on cauliflower in general. So take my opinion for what it is.
    Christena
    SW: 193
    CW: 193
    GW: 130

Talking Re: Mashed Cauliflower

Well, I finally made it and it was pretty tasty! I couldn't tell it was cauliflower at all and I am VERY picky about stuff. I tweaked the recipe a little...a used a whole bag of frozen cauliflower, pureed that until smooth then added three LC mini babybel light cheese's (cut up and melted in the microwave prior to that), two good pinches kosher salt and four turns of the pepper mill. I put that in an oven safe dish and topped with another two pinches of ks, more fresh pepper and 1/4 cup lf mozz and baked for 20 minutes....YUM!!! I was very surprised! It was a little runny, but I had to add liquid to get a nice puree. It wasn't homemade garlic mashed potatoes w/ butter and cream, but it was tasty for a HUGE 3 point serving! I will definitely have this again...even DH liked it. (He thought it was mashed potatoes...I don't think he would have eaten it if he knew what it really was!!!)

(We had this with the meatloaf muffins and grean beans - very filling for a low point dinner!)
    China

Replies

I love the mashed cauliflower, but I have also used 1/2 potato and 1/2 cauliflower. Stretches those points a bit!

The store had huge fresh cauliflower heads on sale for 99 cents today so I picked one up and steamed it for supper. We have tons left over and now I know what to do with it.

I used to eat mashed cauliflower on Atkins all the time but that was a higher fat version I would do now. I got some low fat low salt swiss at the deli today I am going to try in it and will probably throw in a little LF sour cream.

I went to Ruby Tuesday's restaurant yesterday and they had mashed cauliflower on the menu as a side item!! It was 3 points and it was wonderful! It was creamy and had a lot of flavor. They have a lot of WW and Atkins friendly items on the back of their menu with the calories, fat and fiber info posted.
    Janice
    Ya-Ya Name: Duchess Five and Dime

SW243/CW219/GW137

There are only 2 choices: make progress or make excuses.

Some succeed because they are destined; others succeed because they are DETERMINED.

Replies

I make this with a little hot skim milk and a few T. of Smart Balance Light spread, salt and fresh ground pepper. I could eat the whole bowl myself...I do use fresh cauliflower when I can. The flavor is a little more delicate. Just be careful not to overcook the cauliflower - like all members of the cabbage family, overcooking gives it a nasty flavor!
    There are many paths up the mountain but if we keep climbing we'll all reach the summit.