Thread: Has anyone tried buffalo meat?

SnoopyGirl Guest

Default Has anyone tried buffalo meat?

I was talking to a friend in Nebraska today who told me that her doctor said to cut out as much red meat as possible and to increase her buffalo meat instead. This threw me because Ive never heard of buffalo meat. I guess Im just out of the loop. But it turns out that her grocery store sells allot of buffalo meat. So has anyone here tired it? And what does it taste like? Our stores dont sell it but I found out you can order it online and Im really curious.

Default Re: Has anyone tried buffalo meat?

I've had buffalo burgers several times. They were very good, maybe a smidge drier than a beef burger, otherwise no appreciable difference. My uncle bought a side of a buffalo after he had open heart surgery and was told to cut beef out of his diet. It was packaged all sorts of ways (just like a side of beef I guess) and he really liked it. He didn't buy it again because he fell off the food plan wagon, not because of taste or quality.
    Last edited by outer-banks-girl; 03-22-2006 at 12:20 AM. Reason: **
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Replies

They sell buffalo meat at Trader Joe's. It is in the frozen food section, made into hamburger pattys.

I have eaten it-it is on the dry side and very low in fat.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

SnoopyGirl Guest

Ok...I hear about Trader Joes allot too....is that a grocery chain? I live in Arizona and I have never heard of them either.

Trader Joe's is a great food chain, I've been to one in Cleveland and loved it. We went almost every day. I was so happy that we had a little suite where I could cook things b/c I found turkey hot sausage and made a pasta diablo with it. My DH isn't always on board with getting a suite and cooking meals in while on vacation, but that pasta diablo and all the other treats from Trader Joe's changed his tune.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Replies

Trader Joe's is all over here in the Phoenix area, Snoopy. Where in the state do you live?
    Nikki
    SW: 183 (1/8/06)
    CW:145
    WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)
    next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

SnoopyGirl Guest

I live in Sierra Vista. About 45 mins southeast of Tucson.

Replies

Nicole, this is from the Trader Joe's Website. I hope one of these is close to you. Trader Joe's is the best grocery store around!

Your Nearest
    Trader Joe's

ARIZONA
    *Stores are open from 9a to 9p daily unless otherwise noted
    Ahwatukee
    Glendale
    Mesa
    North Scottsdale
    Oro Valley
    Phoenix (Town & Country)
    Phoenix (Metro Center)
    Scottsdale
    Sun City
    Tempe
    Tucson (Wilmot & Speedway)
    Tucson (Crossroads)
    Tucson (Cambell and Limberlost)
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

I have had buffalo meat and love it! It is what I would tend to buy if we didn't get venison each year. I have grown up eating wild game so I don't notice much of a difference taste wise, but I do know it is lower fat than beef and that is usually noticable right away when you are cooking it because you don't have all that grease gathering at the bottom of the pan.

When we were going through Canada we picked up some ground buffalo and buffalo sausage, man, that stuff was delicious!
    ~Desiree~

Highest weight 250
    SW 194
    CW 189.6
    GW 153-ish
    1st sm. goal 170

10. Default Re: Has anyone tried buffalo meat?

That's weird. I always thought of buffalo as red meat and put it in the beef category. So if chicken is white meat, and beef is red, what is buffalo?
    Sharon

I found this on the internet: http://www.mercola.com/forms/bison.htm

Bison is one of the best tasting of all meats; this is my opinion, and apparently the opinion of many others, as this red meat has rapidly been appearing on the menus of fine restaurants throughout the world over the last decade. Its flavor is similar to prime beef, but sweeter and more tender. Bison also happens to be one of the most nutritious meats on earth, which is why I eat it more than any other meat, and recommend it so highly to you.

Bison, also known as buffalo, is a highly nutrient dense food because of the proportion of protein and minerals in relation to its caloric value. One pound of ground bison, in fact, contains 34 grams of protein, while its fat, cholesterol and calorie levels are lower than other popular meats, as you can see in the chart below. Comparisons to other meat sources also show that bison has a greater concentration of iron as well as some essential fatty acids necessary for human health.

For some reason I couldn't get the chart to paste on here. A 3 oz serving of buffalo meat has 85 calories and 2 grams of fat. The same serving of chicken has 140 calories and 3 grams of fat. 3 ounces of beef (lean, steak) has 240 calories and 15 grams of fat.
    Deb

Yes -- I've been eating bison since last fall. It is remarkably low in fat and for a confirmed red meat lover, it's been a lifesaver since I've been on WW. Based on the nutrition info on the packages I've gotten, I count it like white meat of chicken -- 1 oz = 1 point. Mostly I've just had the burgers and used the ground bison in things where I would normally use ground beef, but the store I go to also has steak and roast cuts of bison -- I think I've only tried the NY strip steak, and it was very good. Not gamy -- at least to me.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

getnthin Guest

Trader Joes is alot like Whole Foods also. They also sell buffalo meat, however I have not tried it personally.

waterbug24 Guest

Atlanta is getting a Trader Joes sometime in 2006 also..reported this week...

Sharon, I have never had it, but that is a good question. I guess it is red meat that taste JUST LIKE CHICKEN. :-)~
    ~* Tina*~

Started WW 10/18/05 Restart 05/18/2010
    I can, I will, I am

123Read Guest

I have not tried buffalo meat either, but some of the teachers
    were talking about it today at lunch and said that it was quite good.

Smile Re: Has anyone tried buffalo meat?

Quote Originally Posted by CountryFatCat
    Sharon, I have never had it, but that is a good question. I guess it is red meat that taste JUST LIKE CHICKEN. :-)~
    NO!!! - bison tastes a lot like BEEF!!!! It bears NO resemblance to chicken in taste! IMHO it is a great substitute for beef (which I love), but it has the point value of chicken breast meat. It almost doesn't get any better than that!
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135

I'm going to look into this Buffalo Meat. I sounds good.
    ~* Tina*~

Started WW 10/18/05 Restart 05/18/2010
    I can, I will, I am

SnoopyGirl Guest

Thanks for the info DJW! We spend allot of time in Tucson and I really dont have any clue as to why I havent come across a TJ's before.

Im looking forward to shopping there now!

no ka oi Guest

Just got back from Ted's (Turner) Montana Grill. I had a juicy bison burger and it was dee-lish. Hubby and kids had bison pot roast. Yummy Yummy. Bison tastes just like beef IMHO.

The one thing you might watch while making bison burgers is not to overcook them. Because of the extremely low fat content, if they're the slightest bit overdone, they may taste dry.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135