Thread: Cereal Suggestions?

sweetlove Guest

Default Cereal Suggestions?

I was wondering if anyone found a good cereal brand...I just haven't been able to find one that isn't a ridiculous amount of points..even the All Bran is 3p for a decent serving. And by the time I add milk(1p FF soy milk) and fruit(1c Blueberries), that's 5 points down.

Hailey Guest

Default Re: Cereal Suggestions?

All of the Kashi cereals are great,and low points, my favorite is kashi go lean, I also just found a new cereal called peace they have great low point selections also, you might want to try Puffins to. good luck!!

I stick with Post Bran Flakes - 1 pt for 3/4 cup. I usually eat it with fruit, 1% milk, and a packet of Splenda.
    ~*MANDA*~

Started WW Online on November 4, 2005
    SW: 180
    CW: 155.2
    GW: 145

Height: 5'6"

May exercise minutes: 580

Replies

I'm sorry, but what's wrong with a 5 Point breakfast? I consider that to be the minimum to start my day!

I like wheat chex (1 c. = 3 pt.) or Shredded Wheat (1 c. = 2 pt.) or oatmeal (2 pt. for 1/2 c. dry) or bulgur (2 pt. for 1 c. cooked), with 3/4 c. skim milk (1 pt.) and 1 pt. worth of fruit (whatever's in season). That's 4-5 Points, maybe a bit more depending on whether I add sugar or maple syrup and how much I add (no Splenda goes on my cereal).

I also have around 5-6 Points for lunch and 7-8 Points for dinner, which still leaves Points for snacks, especially since I use 2-5 Flex (WPA) Points per day and I earn APs most days.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

AKateisaKate Guest

I don't like to spend 5 on breakfast either. That's just my routine. I've had those day with 5 for a breakfast- they just don't work out.

Anyway, this is probably very bland to some, but I eat Trader Joe's High Fiber cereal. 80 calories, no fat, 9 g of fiber. And if you don't drink the milk, that's probably nothing since the cereal is little and there's not a bunch of space for milk. So it's one point!

I have been eating the Fiber 1 Honey Clusters for 1&1/4 cup at 3points. Then 2 points for 1 cup of skim milk. That 5 points really filled me up, but I haven't been eating it daily. (Why not?, I ask myself)
    I also do a lot of the Low Sugar oatmeal in the single serve packets - 1 of them is 2points. Then I have a banana later in the morning for a 2 point snack.

I have learned not to do the bagel, empty wasted calories. I have also learned that even light bread toasted with RFPB doens't hold me as long as the Fiber1 clusters do.

Good luck!
    SW 176.8/CW 167.0/10% goal 159.8/PG135

Easter Challenge
    2/15 167.0
    2/28 167.0 still
    3/1
    3/8
    3/15
    3/22 *Leaving for vaca 3/26 -4/4
    3/29
    4/5

Niftykaffeine Guest

There are sooooo many delicious and low point cereals out there!
    It all depends upon your personal preference!
    The original Kashi is great, it's really crunchy and filling and very high in fiber. Puffins are great. Crispix is also low fat, low calorie, low points...but doesn't have much fiber.
    Katherine

ShrinkingDaisy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by skinnymommy2b
    I have been eating the Fiber 1 Honey Clusters for 1&1/4 cup at 3points. Then 2 points for 1 cup of skim milk. That 5 points really filled me up, but I haven't been eating it daily. (Why not?, I ask myself)
    I also do a lot of the Low Sugar oatmeal in the single serve packets - 1 of them is 2points. Then I have a banana later in the morning for a 2 point snack.

I have learned not to do the bagel, empty wasted calories. I have also learned that even light bread toasted with RFPB doens't hold me as long as the Fiber1 clusters do.

Good luck!
    I LOVE the Fiber 1 Honey Clusters!!! and that 1 1/4 cup really fills up a bowl and stays with me too!! On the days that I want to cut a point or so off breakfast I do 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup of milk---I estimate it only at 2.5 points then.

special K bran flakes - 3/4 cup = 1 pt.

It's not a huge bowl of cereal, but if you throw a small banana and your milk in, it's a nice 3 pt breakfast. it also has a good amount of protein.

they also have a raisin bran that's 1 cup = 2pts

N :bcbsalute
    N

Nan-see

Friday is WI!

Oatmeal and Malt-O-Meal (chocolate or regular) are both 2 points. Oatmeal fills me up til lunch, and really only takes about 3 min to fix in the microwave (quick oats). If I'm in a hurry, I throw the blueberries in it to cool it down so I don't burn my tongue. BTW, I don't put any sugar or sweetener on any of these cereals, and they're wonderful.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

I actually like for breakfast, 1/2 cup GM Fiber One cereal (which on the sliding scale is 0-1 pts. - 60 cals., 1 gm fat, 14 gms. fiber) and stir that in a pot of light or ff flavored (my favorite is lemon or key lime) yogurt, say 1 or 2 pts. depending on brand. Let sit for about 10 minuts which softens up the cereal and then eat like that. It may not seem like a lot of cereal but the combination of the 2 really fills me up.

Knowledge is POWER.

SW: 198.4; CW: 166; GW: 155.0

NHH -- No help here. My regular breakfast is six points, three for Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats, two for milk, one for half a banana.

Good luck!
    Jean in Colorado
    SW 176
    CW 170
    WW goal 135.0
    GW 122
    The future depends on what we do in the present.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I like puffed wheat. I think 1 c. is one point, but I haven't eaten it in awhile so don't quote me. I like it plain usually, but sometimes I will put some equal on it for no extra points.
    SW 245/CW 153/GW 150/

Daycare Momma Guest

I love the Kashi Heart to Heart cereal. It's only 1 pt for one serving and I use 1/2 cup milk for 1 pt. Then I add 1/2 a banana for another pt. It's a pretty satisfying 3 pts for breakfast!

Another fave of mine is a quick breakfast burrito made with a one-egg omelet-2 pts (sometimes with 0-pt veggies, sometimes not) folded into a small flour tortilla-1 pt- topped with some good salsa (0 pts.) If you want you could add some ff cheese, but I don't like to have to many pts too early on, and this is delish without cheese. There you have two 3 pt breakfast ideas!

I like the kashi cereals, but I really love the ww cinnamon crunch. I also do the wrap fro breakfast. I do a mission low carb tortilla, 1 slice 2% cheddar and 1/3 c egg beaters in the micro,(3 pts altogether) quick ,easy, portable and filling! I have also been eating a lot of steel cut oats lately. I make them myself and add fruit, another one to consider.
    [COLOR="purple"]Melissa

HW 236.5
    Restart date - 8/13/10
    Restart weight- 213.6
    CW 198.4
    GW 160-170
    Lowest weight 168 Feb, 2008