Thread: Low Point Creamy Oatmeal

1. Default Low Point Creamy Oatmeal

1.5 cups rolled oats: 6 pt.
    3 cups lite soy milk or skim milk: 3 pt.
    2 cinnamon sticks: 0 pt.
    1 tsp vanilla extract: 0 pt.
    1 cup dried fruit: 6 pt.
    3 TB brown sugar: 3 pt.

Instructions

In a medium bowl, combine the oats and milk. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator overnight.

Transfer the oat mixture to a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Add the salt and cinnamon sticks and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, raisins, and sugar; simmer 5 more minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and pour into a resealable container.

18 points total, and you can slice it into six 3-point portions as soon as it's cool. It keeps well in the fridge for up to a week; I take it to school and eat it between classes at room temperature.

Any kind of dried fruit is good - I've made with craisins, this cherry/blueberry mixture, and dried apricots. They have all been tasty.
    My diet blog.

GingieSue Guest

Default Re: Low Point Creamy Oatmeal

Tried this ...it is wonderful!

Anibas Guest

Default That looks delicious, jngstarla...

That oatmeal recipe looks delish, Jngstarla, but did you calculate the points correctly?

Shouldn't the 3 cups of lite soy milk or skim milk total 6 points rather than 3?

Just askin' ...

~Anibas~

4. Default Re: Low Point Creamy Oatmeal

I use 8th Continent Light soy milk, which is 1 point per 8 oz/1 cup... it looks like with skim milk it would be 2 points per cup according to the Food Companion.

So it depends on what you use, I guess! I am trying a batch made with water and 1/2 cup of fruit instead of a full cup; that should make 6 servings at 2 points each. I will post about how it affects the flavor once I try it.
    My diet blog.

5. Default Re: Low Point Creamy Oatmeal

Blegh. I think it needs the protein from milk/soy milk to make the texture right - it didn't taste very good at all made with water. And now I have six servings in my fridge!! I hope DH likes it more than I do.
    My diet blog.