Thread: Eat lunch while driving? Need Ideas?

sodacracker Guest

Default Eat lunch while driving? Need Ideas?

Hello,
    Is there anyone else out there who has to eat while on the road? Three days a week I spend the day driving and have to fit a certin number of client visits into my day. I don't have time to stop for lunch, so eat while driving or while sitting in a parking lot (I know, lovely isn't it? )

I am looking for lunch and snack ideas that others have tried that they like. I have depended heavily on WW bread with some sort of filling, bags of raw veggies, cut up fruit and bottles of water but am looking for something new.

To kick things off I offer my odd, but tasty, way to get in some dairy, fruit and oils. I mix up leftover cooked cereal from the morning, add 1 - 2 tsp flax oil, FF yogurt and some frozen berries. Stir and eat when needed.
    Any other ideas?

Replies

Default Re: Eat lunch while driving? Need Ideas?

I'd invest in a wide-mouth Nissan thermos that holds two or three cups. You can get one at Campmor.com for less than $20 and it is the onlt thermos I've had that keeps stuff hot for four or five hours. That means you can make all kinds of soups/stews that are "one pot" nutrition and enjoy them later.

You can make a snack mix from cereal (like Barbara's puffins and Kashi Hearts and anything else you like, maybe a few raisins) as long as you keep track of the points per serving. I do this on long car trips.

If you can keep things cold, you can roll up high-fiber tortillas with just about anything - hummous, tuna salad, peanut butter, cottage cheese....also the smallest size pitas can work the same way.

I'm not even mentioning the obvious - fruit, yogurt, little containers of cottage cheese, deviled eggs, and bars. I love Slim Whey bars and Kashi crunchy bars, which have 3 pounts or less and some protein.
    There are many paths up the mountain but if we keep climbing we'll all reach the summit.

3. Default Re: Eat lunch while driving? Need Ideas?

I love the thermos idea with soup, stew, chili, etc. I was going to recommend something similar.

My other thought was to invest in a little cooler if you don't already have one, that way you can do up a Greek or Caesar salad in a tupperware and keep it cool till you're ready for it. And those extra-small plastic containers are a lifesaver to keep your salad dressing separate till you're ready to put it on your salad.

Also, what about making up your own low-point "lunchables"?
    total lost so far: 18.5

Parham91x2 Guest

I found these really cool bowls w/lids at Walmart to keep things cold. There is some kind of blue ice-type gel inside the bowls so when you put them in the freezer the gel freezes and you can pack stuff like fruit or yogurt in them and keep them cold all day. They were only $2.

girlinmotion Guest

Silhouette yogourt makes great little "smoothies" kind of like a "yop", no spoon required.
    A container of hummus or other bean dip adds a lot to raw veggies, it's got protein too so it'll keep you from getting hungry too soon.
    Try sandwiches with pitas, or wraps. You can throw salad and chicken/beans/tuna etc in a wrap. You need an ice pack or cooler to keep it cold though.
    Dry cereal can be nice to crunch on. I like corn bran squares.
    Dried fruit bars are a great way to have non-perishable food on hand.
    If you are in a parking lot and not actually driving: low fat pudding cups and yogourts, salads, fruit chunks, and a thermos are all great ideas. Get a cooler bag or something to keep the stuff cold.

I hope that helps!

sodacracker Guest

Wow ! Great ideas - I must have been in a rut to not have even thought of a thermos! With the cold weather here some nice hot leftovers would be great in the car . I also liked a lot of the other ideas, so, thanks everyone for your help and ideas.

Replies

I got some good ideas myself!
    There are many paths up the mountain but if we keep climbing we'll all reach the summit.

Replies

Here's a question by Soda two years ago...
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Unhappy Re: Eat lunch while driving? Need Ideas?

All great ideas for one day of traveling by car, but what about when you get there? How about the ride back. We stayed in a Lodge for 2 days, with only resaurant food. I completely blew it.
    ~*~ Amy