Thread: Eating all of your flex points

rachser Guest

Default Eating all of your flex points

I realize that there are many ways to do the WW plan and play with your points. My goal for the past 12 weeks or so has been to try and NOT eat my 35 flex points. However, I usually do eat all or most of them. I would like to hear from others what they do and what they think works for optimum weight loss.

sotm121097 Guest

Default Re: Eating all of your flex points

well i know that i tend to use mostly all of them. i usually go out on a saturday and use it for one meal that's just me so far that's working but it's only been 2 weeks tomorrow is my third weigh in...i'm down 5.4 so far.

It varies for me. I do almost always use some. I think you'll find that most people use them and their AP's.
    HW 220
    CW 134
    GW 129

I try to save flex points and not even think about them, for all those times you have more than a serving calls for. Then the nights when I am watching TV and have 1 point left and want a 3 point snack. I can't let myself eat them all at once. It seems like a license to cheat.
    Karen
    Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why can!

Replies

What has worked for me in the last couple of weeks is that I usually save the majority of my flex points for Fri, Sat, and Sun. I may use 1-3 points Mon- Thursday and save the rest for the week end. I have found this to be effective for the past couple of weeks. I am down three pounds so I am proud of that.

Exercise is still a challenge, I guess because of the time of year. But I am determined this time to make WW work for me.
    Last edited by azp91; 01-24-2006 at 02:48 PM.

esmequino Guest

I do the same, save them for the weekend.
    Rachel, so is it working for you? are you speeding your weigh lost, or is it about the same?

rachser Guest

Thanks for the advice - I have lost an average of about 1 pound a week, I know that is normal but there are some weeks that I gain even though I am within my point ranges. So, I was going to see if cutting my flex points helps.
    Also, I weigh in on Sunday mornings so I am certainly not saving all of my flex points to eat on Friday and Saturday night.

8. Smile Re: Eating all of your flex points

I use all of mine. It seems to be working fine since I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks Hopefully, this Friday I will be able to add on to that total. Good luck!

WrappinMama Guest

I allow myself 5 per day. I usually only end up eating 1 or 2 a day but I have some days whre I feel snacky.. I usually end up with about half left for the weekend. Last week, I counted .. I ate 20 Flex Pts. For the last few wks I have been losing about 1-2 lbs per week. I do get alot of fiber so I think that helps too.

Sweet Seminole Guest

Cool Re: Eating all of your flex points

I use my 35 extra weekly points, our leader encourages to use them. Either 5 a day or save for the weekend works for me. I very rarely use my activity points. Alot of people like the Wendie Plan (you can google it) that mixes your daily points around a little bit on a weekly basis. Hope everyone has a great OP day

JoytotheWorld Guest

I do the Core program, and love my flex points. I have found that I do much better if i dont space out the points (like 4 - 5 a day). I do tend to use 1 or 2 a day and then I have points leftover to go out to eat or out on the town

Replies

Flex are part of the program and it is not a virtues to have a goal not to eat them. You will be better off if you do and will maintain better at goal if you have been

good Luck
    316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here
    currently- you don't want to know

Replies

I use all my flex points, I never used to. I'm glad I am now, because if you wait too long, it may backfire. That is what my leader tries to drill into our brains. I could kick my self for not using them sooner lol.
    Lisa
    This is part of my journey, glad to have you all with me, to keep me company along the ride...
    For Christmas of 2004, my parents bought me pants that were a Size 18!
    For this year they bought me Size 10!

Joined WW in Jan of 05 & made Lifetime in Aug of 05 .

jenniferpeace Guest

I'm pretty conflicted about this (just like using APs). I had a bad experience of not losing at all for about 6 WIs - I was OP but using all AP/FP. Now I don't use any APs. I do use FPs...like a lot of you, a few during the week, but mostly on the weekend. For 2 weeks I used no APs, and about 20 FPs and lost 1-2 lbs/week. Last week I used the same - no APs, about 22 FPs and did not lose. I still haven't figured out what works!!

angelbaby27 Guest

I eat pretty much all points I can find! FP's, AP's, almost all every week and have been losing really well. I think it's the way to go because I really couldn't survive on only 20 points a day. -But it is all a personal thing. You have to tinker with it until you find that magic number, and the number is different and can change for everyone!

16. Default Re: Eating all of your flex points

I just want to add that I use all of my Flex Points each week and I use Activity Points when I actually workout .

It is necessary in order to keep your metabolism revved up. I know it's kind of scary, as I was a bit nervous at first, but I've used all points and have been consistently loosing.

I've had to shake things up a bit by "shocking" my metabolism. It's good to alternate your points throughout the week to keep from getting on a plateau.

Good Luck ..Enjoy and eat those FLEX Points!!
    SW: 228.80, 9/15/ 05
    WW: 173.00, 9/15/06
    WW: 170.00, 9/15/07
    01/07/06: 25lbs Gone!!!!, WW 25lb. Magnet
    01/21/06: Reached ONEDERLAND!!!!
    08/05/06: Reached LIFETIME !!!
    : Total Loss FOREVER: (-58.80)
    Maintaining: 170.00
    GW: 180.00

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by reelriot
    Flex are part of the program and it is not a virtues to have a goal not to eat them. You will be better off if you do and will maintain better at goal if you have been

k
    ICAM! Listen to reelriot, she's conquered this battle.

Flex points are not extra

Flex points are not to make us eat too much

FLEX POINTS ARE NOT CHEATING!

And the most important. Consuming less points does not mean you will lose more or faster!

I want a bumper sticker that says that!
    Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217
    CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Ive been back OP for the past three weeks and I really havent figured out what works best for me yet. This week, I think Im down 2.5 lbs, I say think because I peeked this morning on the scale but I dont "officially" weigh in until tommorow morning. But what I did this week was I ate about 20 of my FP's on Saturday and Sunday and then I ate my AP's on Monday and Wednesday and thats it. So I will see if this works. I think I will be the type that has to shock my motabalism into submission. Good luck everyone.
    THERE IS NO ONE THAT CAN STOP ME BUT ME AND I THINK I CAN TAKE HER!!!!!

STARTED AGAIN 1/7/06

week 1 -1.5
    week 2 -1.0
    week 3 -3.5
    week 4 -1.5
    week 5 +1.5

SW: 230.5
    CW: 224.5

rachser Guest

Okay, so I used all of my APs and almost all of my Flex Points and I was down 1.2 yesterday. That is a better loss then I have had lately so I am excited. I think the consensus is to try and use ALL points.

20. Default Re: Eating all of your flex points

YOU GOT IT, RACHELL !!!!!
    SW: 228.80, 9/15/ 05
    WW: 173.00, 9/15/06
    WW: 170.00, 9/15/07
    01/07/06: 25lbs Gone!!!!, WW 25lb. Magnet
    01/21/06: Reached ONEDERLAND!!!!
    08/05/06: Reached LIFETIME !!!
    : Total Loss FOREVER: (-58.80)
    Maintaining: 170.00
    GW: 180.00

Replies

Smile Re: Eating all of your flex points

Hi everyone, I'm new to the baord. I was browsing through the topic and couldn't help but put my input here. I personally do not eat all of my 35 flex points. I use some because I rarely count my margarine (Smart Balance or something like that). But other than that, I stick to my 22 points a day. It was brought up in our meeting one time that someone who was eating all her alloted points everyday, she also used all of her 35 flex points a week. It turns out she was not losing much, if at all. She cut back her flex points to maybe, 7 or 8 a week and has been doing much better. But everyone is different, I am just sharing what I found out may work. I've been on the plan since the end of June, and lost 63 so far, with a gain of half a pound (hey, had to have cheese and pepperoni on New Year's Day)

divinroatan Guest

It seems that, on average, 1 point = 50 calories. Thus, 35 flex points is equal to about 1750 calories. Assuming you lose 1 pound for every 3500 calories that you DON'T eat, it appears that by using the 35 flex points, you would lose 1/2 pound LESS each week than you would if you didn't use the flex points. So, the decision whether to use or not use flex points just depends on how fast you want to lose the weight.

When I first joined WW I did not eat my APs and only ate my flex points for special occassions, like going out to our holiday luncheon at the cheesecake factory. But my weight loss was very slow and I always had a gain during TOM. Based on all the advice I got here (similar to what has already been posted here) I started to eat my APs and some of my FPs - I get 28 daily points and its hard to eat that much every day - and my weight loss has definitely increased. My last WI was during TOM and I actually lost 1.4 lbs.! I think a lot of it also has to do with when you eat your points. From the time I get up (about 5:30am) until about 7:30pm I am eating something about every 2 hours, and that tends to really keep your metabolism going. My meeting leader has told us that everyone's body does work differently and you need to find what works best for you, and it may take some experimentation before you find the right mixture. But she also tells us that eating fewer points than you should does not speed up weight loss. Good luck
    Andrea
    Weight loss isn't about willpower or motivation; it's just the cumulative effects of tiny actions over time. - DietGirl

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by divinroatan
    It seems that, on average, 1 point = 50 calories. Thus, 35 flex points is equal to about 1750 calories. Assuming you lose 1 pound for every 3500 calories that you DON'T eat, it appears that by using the 35 flex points, you would lose 1/2 pound LESS each week than you would if you didn't use the flex points. So, the decision whether to use or not use flex points just depends on how fast you want to lose the weight.
    I respectfully disagree. This theory doesn't take into account adding exercise and the fact that our bodies are ever-changing beings, not just machines. There is much more to weight loss than calories in and calories out.
    Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217
    CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Amy, I agree with you. I also have to add to this discussion that you have to think about the long term here, not just how fast you can get to goal. Personally I did WW before (Winning points) and lost weight but I ate 18-20 points per day and exericised like crazy. When I finally got to my goal I just couldn't maintain. My poor body was tired and starving! Now, even though my daily points target is 20, I rarely eat under 25 points/day, usually closer to 30. I eat all of my flex points and all of my aps. I may be losing slower, but this is something I can maintain. It is really not about the points...it is about eating when you are hungry and stopping when full. Don't use the points just to use them if you are not hungry. Also, don't NOT use them if you are hungry. WW has given us a wonderful way to learn to regulate how much food we need. We can and should eat according to true hunger and not just to make the scale go down faster.
    Christena
    SW: 193
    CW: 193
    GW: 130