Thread: Reducing the points w/ Mastercook

I'm Worth It Guest

Question Reducing the points w/ Mastercook

I also got Mastercook 9.0 for Christmas and I'm a bit intimidated. I'm just learning how to use it and I'm sure it won't be easy. A few questions to help me along:
    1. How do I easily try to reduce the calories on some of the recipes.
    2. What is the best way to add my point values to each recipe
    3. Are there WW cookbooks or low fat/low calorie cookbooks that I can add to my mastercook? Currently the ones that come with the program, I don't see any diet type cookbooks

Any special board or area where I can go to to get informed.
    Thanks so much!

Default Re: Reducing the points w/ Mastercook

1. Reducing calories.

What i normally do is to enter the recipe and be sure that under the nutrient analysis section that there are no unknown ingredients. Then i figure out the base points. (using their calories, fat and fiber info). If i'm unhappy with the point info, i go back and see what changes can i make.

For example, I may see that the recipe calls for 3 eggs, and go back to the ingredient section and put in the equivalent for eggbeaters.

I may see that the recipe calls for 1 cup of full fat shredded cheese, and may see how the NI changes for 1/2 cup of 2% or FF shredded cheese.

2. Point Values.

Different people put point values in different places. Some put them in under categories, so if they want to pull up all recipes that have 5 points they can. What i do, is put the point value right up in the title, that way, when i scan the list of recipes, I can see the title and the points.

3. WW Cookbooks. There are several yahoo groups that have WW recipes on them, and some cooking light groups that have cooking light recipes listed out too. There is also www.madsrecipes.com that has many "healthy living" recipes which are WW recipes. Also in our recipe boards here, you can copy and import them into your WW cookbooks!

It's a great system and i'm just a newbie with MC .... others will come along and help out with their hints!
    Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Barb A