Thread: I feel stupid...

Question I feel stupid...

So, I have the LONG LIST of 0 point foods and the serving sizes. I don't understand...it seems misleading because how many of those foods can I have and only count 0 points. There's gotta be a cut off as to when you need to add up to 1. I know that if you have more than the 0 point serving of A FOOD you count it as two, but what about eating 0 point servings of many different foods. Where do you draw the line? I can't find any information in the books about that? Is there any limit like you can have up to three 0 point foods a day...after that you have to count the points for the foods???

micheleq Guest

Default Re: I feel stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by angel2319
    So, I have the LONG LIST of 0 point foods and the serving sizes. I don't understand...it seems misleading because how many of those foods can I have and only count 0 points. There's gotta be a cut off as to when you need to add up to 1. I know that if you have more than the 0 point serving of A FOOD you count it as two, but what about eating 0 point servings of many different foods. Where do you draw the line? I can't find any information in the books about that? Is there any limit like you can have up to three 0 point foods a day...after that you have to count the points for the foods???
    angel,

I'm new too but I can tell you that when I use the online points tracker (at WW online) it counts a cup of broccoli at 0 points but 2 cups at 1 point. My understanding (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that one serving a of a 0 point food at one meal is 0 points but 2 servings at one time becomes 1 point. For example if I eat 2 cups of broccoli at lunch that's one point but then if I have another cup at dinner that's 0.

Good luck with your journey. I'm doing this at home too and it's definitely do-able. This forum is great suuport.

Replies

This reminds me of a meeting years ago where we had 2 women in the group that didn't understand that you need to be reasonable about how you eat. One turned orange from the number of carrots she was eating and the other couldn't understand why she would only lose an ounce or two per week. She was only eating canned green beans between meals so she would have all of her points available for the foods she really liked and when the leader asked her how many beans was she eating every day she replied that she usually ate 8-10 cans every day and she was buying them by the case at Costco.

The amount of sodium she was getting from those beans was more than enough to keep her from showing any weight loss and that many beans of course should have been counted.

I don't count my 0 point veggies until or unless I go over the 5 fruits and vegetable servings per day.

You don't really need to worry about it unless you are eating large amounts like a whole bag of those little snack carrots etc.
    Laughter is timeless -- Imagination has no age -- And dreams are forever, Tinkerbell

SW 09/20/05 - 367.6

CW - 248.4*Down -118.6

ariellasdaddy Guest

I disagree. I was told that 0 point veggies are unlimited. I agree that 8 cans of green beans are insane, but broccoli and carrots? Nobody got fat from eating too many veggies. I eat a whole bag of baby carrots and count them as zero.

WrappinMama Guest

It depends on the nutritional info adding up and equaling points.. like say for instance 1 cup of broccoli is 0 pts for 1 serving, like you said if you eat 2 servings the calories add up and equal 1 pt. Carrots happen to be one of the starchy veggies along with corn and potatoes they tend to add up faster.

Don't feel stupid..it took me a few wks to learn and figure out what worked for me and you will too!

In my older week one book, it says that if your loss slows to limit your 0-pt foods to five servings a day, and count if you have more than that. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.
    PinkGlttr
    a new mama, back and ready for bootcamp business!
    HW: 205ish... pregnant
    SW: 190.4
    CW: 182
    MiniGoal: 185.4 MET!
    MiniGoal: 180.4

micheleq Guest

Smile Re: I feel stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by ariellasdaddy
    Nobody got fat from eating too many veggies.
    Maybe not but calories are calories no matter where they come from and an excess of calories in one's body means fat. Don't misunderstand, I'm totally for eating veggies - I love them - but I also don't want to fool myself and sabatoge my weight loss efforts.

Blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by micheleq
    Maybe not but calories are calories no matter where they come from and an excess of calories in one's body means fat. Don't misunderstand, I'm totally for eating veggies - I love them - but I also don't want to fool myself and sabatoge my weight loss efforts.

Blessings!
    This is exactly what my WW leader tried to drive home to us on the Getting Started week - CALORIES STILL COUNT. I agree that eating the veggies is good, and up to a limit, don't count them, but 8-10 cans of green beans a day! I can see how that would add up. Good point about the sodium too. It would probably be different if they were fresh or frozen...
    Brooke ~ HW: 217.0 ~ SW: 211.6 (10/24/09)~ CW: 208.2 (as of 12/12/09) ~ WWGW: 155 ~ PGW: 145

Replies

0 Point veggies are unlimited. Period. If the online points tracker is charging you a Point for 2 cups of broccoli, then it has a bug. I don't use any of the online tools because as far as I'm concerned they are still too buggy.

Some veggies do not have 0 Points "forever" -- be careful of veggies that are NOT on the 0 Points list such as carrots and onions. Since they have Points if you have a full cup cooked, they will have Points raw if you have a large enough serving. Beets, lima beans, peas, and winter squash / pumpkin are also in this group. My memory goes way back to where there was a special category for these higher sugar veggies that aren't really up to being "starches" and I sort of remember which ones they were.

There are many foods that have 0 Points for a "normal" serving but have Points in sufficient amounts. These include condiments and the FF cool whip and jello sorts of things. Even sugar in small amounts (1 tsp.) is zero. WW has built calories into the Program to cover these things. I have heard it's around 250 per day. Some people keep a tally of these things and when they get up to 5 or so in one day they will count a Point for the total, but within reason this is optional.

So as long as you are "reasonable" you will be OK. But many features of a program as flexible as WW can be abused, so you need to be careful.

Everyone on WW is expected to pay attention to portion sizes; it's one of the 8 healthy habits. Also you should also pay attention to your hunger and satisfaction levels. You should never get so hungry you are "starving" and you should never be "stuffed" even on zero Point foods.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

ariellasdaddy Guest

Nancy - I'm pretty sure that carrots are on the zero point list. Can someone with the book and/or e-tools check this out, please? Thanks!

micheleq Guest

Nancy - I'm pretty sure that carrots are on the zero point list. Can someone with the book and/or e-tools check this out, please? Thanks!
    The WW online foods list has carrots as 0 points but cooked carrots as 1 point.

Blessings!

I agree with Nancy - if I have spinach with breakfast, broccoli with lunch and sliced tomato with dinner it all adds up to zero.

Raw carrots are zero. Cooked carrots have points because the sugar gets concentrated.

Now if only they could make chocolate a vegetable!
    Made Lifetime - 2/8/06!
    Highest Weight - 167 (twice, almost 3 times)
    150/?/133
    Lost 13 lbs doing low-sugar, low-carb and excited about the new WW plan!
    See my blog at Carbzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by FitTiff
    Now if only they could make chocolate a vegetable!
    Chocolate counts as a vegetable if you eat it in the shape of a carrot. It takes effort to melt the chocolate, pour it into a carrot shaped mold, wait patiently while the chocolate hardens...but eating healthy is worth the effort.
    • HW-142 CW-118
    • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

WrappinMama Guest

ROFL Mrss... that was a good one lol.

Caillagh Guest

Ack! I'm glad I ran into this post. My DF is on the hunt for "0' point frankenfoods. I will be recalculating these items if he/we eat more then one serving. Finding this out saddens me a bit .

Replies

I do not count 0 pt veggies- and I eat alot of them- in fact that is the secret to my losing 152 pounds. And I have been on etools and for example if you entered lettuce- it would not even earn .5 pts until you had 8 cups of it and cabbage 3 cups of it. So you can eat quite a bit of veggies and if something turns out to be 15 calories a cup- it takes a lot of veggies to add up to 250 calories. carrots are 0 for 1 cup but a pt for 2 and 1 pt for cooked. I agree that no one got fat from eating veggies and think what else it is preventing you form eating. Also it allows you to eat more and eating more has been key for me- veggies are filling- you can eat them in great quantities and then you are not eating something else. Good Luck
    316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here
    currently- you don't want to know

Replies

Arrow Re: I feel stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by PinkGlttr
    In my older week one book, it says that if your loss slows to limit your 0-pt foods to five servings a day, and count if you have more than that. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.
    There is a good post.
    CW
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

Replies

well- if your loss slows- there are tons of things you should be doing before you resort to cutting out veggies.

First you would revisit your pts and portions- I and many others have found from time to time that things we thought were 1 pt, were really 2 and so on and things we thought were a cup were more like 2 or a tbsp more like 3 of them.

You would also check that you are eating your fp's and ap's and if you have not been you would give yourself a few weeks for your metabolism to kick in.

You would change up the foods you eat
    you would change up the number of meals you have ie 3 large ones to 6 smaller ones
    You would change up the exercise you do
    you would intensify or deintensify your exercise
    You would try to spike one of the first 4 days of your week with more flex pts to boost your metabolism
    You would try cutting out more processed foods and replacing with core type foods
    You would check that in all of the above and always you are following the 8 healthy guidelines
    and you would vet your journals- in addition to veggies what else were you eating (ie could it have been the donut, fast food, 3 servings of pasta etc)
    (I say this because it is highly unlikely that it would ever be veggies)

Now after you have tried all that- and if none of that caused you to lose----- go to limit to 5 servings of veggies, sure.

Good luck
    316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here
    currently- you don't want to know

Great post reelriot :bcbsalute
    Galit

Started:15/5/05
    SW: 109.7kg - 242 lbs
    CW: 82.4kg -181.6 lbs
    GW 5 - 79.9gk - 176 lbs

Total lost: 27.3kg - 60.1lbs
    Total left to lose - 19.4kg - 42.7 lbs

Goal of reaching 70 Ap's for Feb. : 71/70

Replies

I disagree. I was told that 0 point veggies are unlimited. I agree that 8 cans of green beans are insane, but broccoli and carrots? Nobody got fat from eating too many veggies. I eat a whole bag of baby carrots and count them as zero.
    I am not sure if we are talking about the same bag, the ones we get here are 5 pounds and much as I love carrots I can't eat 5 pounds in a day!
    Laughter is timeless -- Imagination has no age -- And dreams are forever, Tinkerbell

SW 09/20/05 - 367.6

CW - 248.4*Down -118.6

Replies
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: I feel stupid...

During my weight loss and still now 0 pt veggies were just that no matter how much I ate and like many others I ate quite a bit. Never 8 cans of green beans daily but I ate my share none the less. Now other foods that come up to 0 on the points tracker I never counted as 0. My first leader taught us that there will never be a free piece of bread, tortilla, cereal and other like items that some count as 0 for one serving. That's just me I know others that never counted those items and had success. I also know people that got into trouble with FF coolwhip but I've never met anyone that had gains with veggies.
    Kathy

Over goal and not happy