Thread: Question re: Sweet Potatoes

Question Question re: Sweet Potatoes

I"m REAL new to sweet potatoes. I found a recipe that i want to make for Thanksgiving. It said to buy about 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peel them, boil for about 30 minutes then mash.

My question ... the canned sweet potatoes. Can they be substituted (as long as they aren't candied ... are all sweet potatoes candied in cans? - toldja ... Sweet Potato Newbie here! )

Is the taste the same ... or would it be better to buy the fresh and boil and mash myself? I was thinking that the canned may be softer and mash up better ... am i wrong there?
    Thanks for your help guys!
    Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Barb A

Replies

Default Re: Question re: Sweet Potatoes

If you can find canned in water they should work fine. Most are canned in syrup.

If you want to do this on your own you should be fine too. It's just like making regular mashed potatoes. If you cut them in smaller pieces they will cook faster. If they are not soft enough, cook them some more. You don't have to worry about overcooking them. If you want you can cook and mash the day before, then finish your dish the next day. They will keep overnight in the refrigerator.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

I agree with Nancy. Fresh are better and they're easy. Even if you can find them in water...they're probably high in sodium.

I would think the fresh have more flavor as well.
    *Hugs*
    ~Gina~
    Recommitted - 2/4/04 after baby #4
    SW 223.6
    CW 151.2
    WWG 130
    PG 123.6

Princess Two Shakes and a Shimmey

thanks for the help ... it sounds really silly, because i've been cooking and baking and experimenting with recipes for over 30 years .. but i've just never done a single thing with sweet potatoes! (Other than the frozen Mrs. Paul's kind that younuke and add the sauce fixings to.) For some reason it just kinda spooked me!

Our grocery store has them on sale this week ... so i'll buy what i need for the recipe and plan on doing it! You guys are the greatest for this morale booster!! Thanks!

Barb A

Replies

Barb, I'm a complete newbie to sweet potatoes too so don't feel bad. I actually never cared for them until I "tried" them again a couple of years ago and found that they are delicious. Funny how tastes change over the years. However, I don't make them enough because I never know what to do with them.

I have 8 sitting in my pantry right now and am going to make a crock-pot version of candied potatoes. The recipe says to cook them until soft, peel and cut into pieces. It doesn't say how to cook them until soft. Any suggestions? Should I just do what you are doing and peel them 1st then boil? Help please Nancy or other buddies..
    Bonnie
    Returning Lifetime Member
    The control center of my life is my attitude.

(-7) - Week 1

cgwoolf Guest

Bonnie - if you want to make yams then peel them and boil them til soft and then mash them. You can cut down on the fat by using ICBINB instead of butter and I use the Twin brown sugar and not very much of it and add cinnamon. As I'm mashing I add a little orange juice and a Tblsp or so of lemon juice. Put them in casserole dish and sprinkle more cinnamon on top. I do add a few marshmellows to the top as well but that is probably not WW friendly.

If you want to make them really low in calorie then scrub them, don't peel them, spray them heavily with Pam. Place on cookie sheet and bake about 30 mins at 350 and you have baked sweet potatos rather than yams. Serve with ICBINB spray and salt and pepper - these are my favorites.

Replies

Thank you CG. I hate to peel anything so I think I will try baking them, cutting them in pieces and putting them in the crock pot that way. The recipe doesn't say to mash them, just to cut them up so it should work and taste ok don't you think. I wish I had the recipe here with me to double check but it's from a book which is at home. I may call on you to help if I have more questions OK?
    Bonnie
    Returning Lifetime Member
    The control center of my life is my attitude.

(-7) - Week 1

cgwoolf Guest

Sure Lyfer - email me w/questions - you know where I am, hee hee

Replies

Lyfer ... my favorite way to make sweet potatoes for eating is to bake them at 400 or 450 for 45 min. to an hour (until soft). You don't have to do anything to them, just wash them, put them on a tray, and put them in the oven.

At that point you can cut them into pieces and the peel will come off pretty easily.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

i have my sweet potatoes in the kitchen ... um .. er rather the sign said they were YAMS! I had a dilemma. They had some that were the bright orange color (Like i get labled "microwave sweet potato" that we love" - they come in a plastic wrap and you just nuke 'em for 12 minutes).... but they were labled YAMS. THe ones labled "sweet potatoes" were a light yellow color.

I asked the guy in the produce dept and he went on about how the real sweet potatoes were found first, but yams are sweeter and developed later, but people call yams sweet potatoes, and i got TOTALLY lost!

But i bought the orang-iest of the potatoes(I think they are actually yams), that were sweetest ... and looked them up on my food companion to be sure they were 3 points (and they are)

Sheesh! Who'd have thunk that buying veggies was so confusing!

Besides the sweet potato casserole, i also found a recipe for sweet potato pumpkin pie in little phyllo tarts for only 1 point each that i'll make too ... i'm getting adventurous!! Keep your fingers crossed! Thanks for the cooking hints!

Barb A

ariellasdaddy Guest

I always wondered about the difference between sweet potatoes and yams. Most fruit stores sell one but not the other (I think yams).

*Hugs*
    ~Gina~
    SW 223.6
    CW 151.2
    WWG 130
    PG 123.6

ariellasdaddy Guest

Thanks! What I like to do is split them lengthwise, smear them with honey, sprinkle on cinnamon, and in the oven 20 minutes side up, 40 side down. Delish!

I prefer them baked over boiled as well. I bake them for 45 minutes - 1 hour at 450 degrees. They are so good...I don't add anything most of the time. Maybe some brown sugar. Maybe some Shedd Spread Cinnamon....YUM!!

Hee hee...I'm getting all excited about Thursday now! LOL
    *Hugs*
    ~Gina~
    SW 223.6
    CW 151.2
    WWG 130
    PG 123.6

Woopsy Guest

They also maked great *baked* french fries or another thing I have done is bake them, split them and put a little fat free sour cream, chopped cilantro, bacon bits if you have them and then a slight drizzle of maple syrup. Way yummy!

Does anyone microwave their sweet potatoes? I do, and it works great.
    • HW-142 CW-118
    • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

moonchildokc Guest

Oh yes! I bake mine. They are delicious with a little ICBINB. I just poke a few holes in them with a fork before nuking them. Just nuke until you can stick a fork in easily to indicate tenderness. This is easy to take to work, too, and cook in the microwave for lunch. Almost like eating pumpkin pie, in my opinion!

j7muse Guest

I love sweet potatoes. My husband said he didn't like them when he met me, but it turns out he'd only ever had the canned kind, which he found too mooshy.

I microwave them whole and split them, scoop out the flesh, and toss the peels. I mash them with ICBINB and fat free half and half, YUM.

Or cut into 1/2 inch cubes, toss in a little olive oil, and roast in the oven on high heat with salt and pepper. Also very tasty.