Thread: How Did I Get Here?

Default How Did I Get Here?

I've been thinking a lot about how I ended up sixty years old and overweight. I'm sure there are numerous reasons, but I think I've narrowed it down to two in particular.

I work at home so that I am able to care for a multiply handicapped child, as well as elderly parents. Because of family needs, I often am up very late into the night/ early morning working. I have tended to reach for food to supply energy to keep going on those long nights. Also connected to this, I would often skip meals due to other demands on my time during the day, leaving me more vulnerable to the late-night/early-morning munchies. Since getting back OP, I have the point counting to make me accountable. To be fair, I've been sick for a while, so I haven't been working as long hours as usual. The real test will be when I get back up to full schedule. How do all of you cope with late night eating?

The second reason is something I've known all along but tried to avoid facing. I don't exercise. Yes, I'm busy all the time, but mostly I'm sedentary. I do plan on addressing this soon, once I've gotten my eating habits well established and I'm feeling a bit better. Where does a sixty year-old, out-of-shape woman start? Any suggestions?
    SW-183 GW-143
    161 - 03/23/12 -- 8 (22 lbs to date)
    151 - 05/25/12 --10 (31 lbs to date)

Default Re: How Did I Get Here?

Its a common thread that I have seen here often over the decades... So many of us do for others before we do for us. Its backward thinking because we can do more for others when we are healthier ourselves. If we invest in our own life we can give more of ourselves to the ones we care for.

CW
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

I'm 62 and have a very similar story except my kids are healthy. I totally understand. Can you get a stationary bike? That got me started.
    Come on over to the 60's group and join in.
    SELL CRAZY SOMEPLACE ELSE. WE'RE ALL STOCKED UP HERE.

CW, You make a good point. I certainly didn't mean to depict myself as a self-sacrificing martyr. When the parents need to get to a doctor's appointments, they need to get there. When they end up in the hospital someone has to be there for them. And, of course, I couldn't/wouldn't turn my back on my own child's needs. But taking care of them didn't make me reach for the comfort food in the middle of the night---it was my poor choice in not fueling my body throughout the day because I was "too busy" that made me vulnerable to late night cravings and gnawing hunger, too.

Also, I've been catching up on the posts here since I left in 2008, and I enjoyed reading the ones entitled "CW's Weekly Meeting" (or something like that). I always especially enjoyed those posts because there was always valuable information there. What happened to that? For that matter, it seems like the participation here has slowed down dramatically---or maybe I'm looking at the wrong sections. It seems like there are a lot of people who view the various posts but a relatively few who respond. Anyway, I just wanted you to know I enjoyed those posts so much and, if you ever decide to revive them, I will certainly be checking in.

Peggy, I'll do that. Right now I'm trying to systematically check out the various sections and see what I've missed in the last four years. I'll have to look for the 60's group---I've seen the over 50 one, but haven't checked it out yet. Is that the one you're talking about, or is there one just for 60's. What happens when we turn 70---do we get booted out? LOL. The stationary bicycle wouldn't be an option at this time, but I do think I have a couple old videos of Leslie Sansone's walking routines. Maybe I'll pull those out to start with--it would be a good way to ease back into exercising. I'm not very coordinated, so I can't seem to follow even the easiest aerobic routines, but I can walk! I would like to find some other cardio workouts that aren't too choreographed. And, as I mentioned, I think some weight training would be of benefit, too. For now, though, I will consider it a success if I can start spending 20-30 minutes walking with Leslie Sansone.
    SW-183 GW-143

I'll be 60 this year, too, and am for the first time finding that I'm exhausted at the end of a long day at work. Somehow I figured I'd always have the energy I had when I was younger. You asked about exercise and where to start. I believe the key is finding something that you enjoy, and that is accessible. Once you decide what fits your lifestyle, just get out and do it--but start out slowly so that you don't have an excuse to give up. I have found that walking works for me. I tried joining a gym, but it was too much of a hassle with my schedule, so I finally just started walking (I have dogs, so with my beefed up walking, they are happier than ever). The great thing about walking is that I can do it from home (although I also drive to some great walking trails nearby), I can do it whenever I have a bit of time, and it doesn't cost me anything. I do have a bicycle, so I cycle once we're out of the rainy season. And I happen to live within walking distance of the ocean, so I do some open-water swimming in the summer. Everything I do though, is at a moderate pace with just a little push, and it's all low impact. Another benefit of walking is that it clears the head and rejuvenates the soul. Personally, I choose not to have an I-Pod or such thing, as I love to listen to the birds and the sound of wind, but I know lots of people who find exercise much easier when listening to their favourite music.

It is quiet these days on the boards, but there are several groups with people who post regularly. Even though there are not a LOT of people posting, there are many encouraging threads. Good luck on your come-back
    Linda

Linda,
    I totally agree about finding something that you enjoy. That's how I used to get exercise---skiing, hiking, gardening, etc. However, these days I would have to include my child in my activities and, without going into detail about my child's condition, that's not going to work. That's why I find it so hard to exercise---I like doing something meaningful/enjoyable that just happens to provide exercise as well. Rather than continue wishing for something that's not going to happen, I have to face my circumstances and exercise in my home. That's why I'm looking for DVDs that I can use to keep me on schedule for exercise. As I mentioned above, I'll probably start with the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs.

I'll have to start looking into the other groups. I so appreciate the encouragement I've gotten here.
    SW-183 GW-143

Where does a sixty year-old, out-of-shape woman start (exercising)?

First, see your doctor! And, make sure that you don't have a condition that will not support some form of exercise.

Next, start small. Just try anything for 10 minutes a day, three times a day. If you're able to do that, then try and get it to 20 minutes a day, everyday. And, once you have mastered that, get it to 30 minutes a day, every other day. Finally, in the end - even if it takes a very long time - get it to 30 to 45 minutes per session at 5 days a week.

Could be walking. Could be an exercise DVD. Could be a stationary bike. Whatever you like this most. But, start out small.

The worst thing to do is to try and do too much, too soon. You will only hurt yourself and/or turn yourself off to the whole thing if it's too hard.

Good luck. Be safe. And, have fun with it.
    Heaviest Wt: 242.0 [04/21/03]
    WW Start Wt: 232.4 [06/21/06]
    10% Goal Wt: 208.6 [08/16/06]
    Met Goal Wt: 178.4 [12/20/06]
    Lifetime Wt: 174.8 [01/31/07]

'07 Avg: 167.8
    '08 Avg: 165.4
    '09 Avg: 170.4
    '10 Avg: 170.7
    '11 Avg: 172.3
    '12 Avg: 173.6

Current Weight: 172.8 [03/09/13] Link to my blog.

Thanks Super Bowl. I appreciate your outlining a schedule, as I do best with structure. What about weights? Once I've done what you suggested, I think I'd like to do at least some light weight training, but I have very little experience with that. Any good videos for beginners?
    SW-183 GW-143

It's the one with all of the ages up to eternity. 40's thru 70's. We are a welcoming bunch of people there. Come in and read a bit.
    SELL CRAZY SOMEPLACE ELSE. WE'RE ALL STOCKED UP HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    Thanks Super Bowl. I appreciate your outlining a schedule, as I do best with structure. What about weights? Once I've done what you suggested, I think I'd like to do at least some light weight training, but I have very little experience with that. Any good videos for beginners?
    Check out this forum: http://forum.videofitness.com/
    I am sure there's some good recommendations in there.
    Heaviest Wt: 242.0 [04/21/03]
    WW Start Wt: 232.4 [06/21/06]
    10% Goal Wt: 208.6 [08/16/06]
    Met Goal Wt: 178.4 [12/20/06]
    Lifetime Wt: 174.8 [01/31/07]

'07 Avg: 167.8
    '08 Avg: 165.4
    '09 Avg: 170.4
    '10 Avg: 170.7
    '11 Avg: 172.3
    '12 Avg: 173.6

Current Weight: 172.8 [03/09/13] Link to my blog.

Adding to Supe's thoughts, I would recommend the Strong Women series by Mim (Miriam) Nelson--There are a bunch of them now, Strong Women Stay Young, and Strong Women Stay Slim are two goodies (your local library might have them!)
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

Thanks everyone!

Peggy, I will definitely be there. Right now I'm catching up (slowly) on threads in this section. When I finish with that, I'll make my next target the over 50 group. See you there.

Superbowl, Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

Kris, Yes, my library does have the VHS of Strong Women Stay Young, so I'll try that out. Thankfully, we still have a working VCR here. I just put it on hold and will pick it up when it comes in. It sounds like it's just what I need.
    SW-183 GW-143

I still use my Leslie DVDs when I'm stuck for time. I can get a sweat after 10 minutes. The newer ones feature jogging and you can progress to thosenif you want. It sounds like maybe the only time for yourself is early A.M. so DVDs are good idea. It sounds like it would be hard to get away.
    Output depends on Input, Input depends on YOU

Cheryl, Glad to hear from someone familiar with Leslie Sansone's videos. Yes, you're right, early morning is about it---either early as in get up early, or early as in stay up very late into the wee hours of the morning. I prefer the former, but sometimes circumstances dictate that it's the latter.
    SW-183 GW-143

G, I work out early. No wee hour workouts, too tired. Often, I wake up in the middle, just trying to stay asleep. Just go do something, you'll be so glad.
    Output depends on Input, Input depends on YOU

So far haven't started exercising. In recovery mode from severe asthma, acute bronchitis, and pneumonia. Want to get lung function back, then start moving more. I did have one victory yesterday. I had to finish up some work for a client, so ended up working until 2:30 a.m. I usually start getting hungry late at night or early in the morning and, as I mentioned in the first post, tend to eat to quench the hunger pangs and in an effort boost my energy. However, I had eaten my very last point (total 19 points on Flex plan) at dinner. Ironically, I had extra milk at dinner to make sure I used all my points, as I'm still find myself rationing my points so carefully that I end up not using a few at the end of the day and I don't think that's good---especially when eating 19 points I end up under 1000 calories a day, which I remain concerned about over the long term. Anyway, no points left, and I was hungry. I thought about eating a tangerine, but decided I didn't want to give in to the late-night eating since that's been a problem for me. I don't think it would have led to a binge, but it would have reinforced the idea of eating in the middle of the night when I should just be finishing up work and trying to sleep.
    SW-183 GW-143

Kris, I'm just posting back here to say thanks for recommended the Strong Women exercise videos. I got the Strong Women Stay Young book and video from the library. I've read the book, and today I exercised with the video---I really liked it. I appreciate the emphasis on form, as I really don't have any experience with weight training. I started with just 5 pound weights, but I'm concentrating on learning the form first. Then, hopefully, I can increase the weight as I go. It's a pretty easy program, which makes me think that eventualy I will have to move on to something more? Or not? Do you have any recommendations for the next step, if I keep up with this and progress?

Thanks again for the information.
    SW-183 GW-143