Thread: Sore Hamstring = NO EXERCISE?!?!?!

Retired Member Julia123's Avatar Inactive

Default Sore Hamstring = NO EXERCISE?!?!?!

I started working out 2 weeks ago. I haven't done it steadily in a while but I am fairly active. Anyway, so I started walking about an hour a day with my husband, 5 days a week, and taking a step class the other day, for 6 total days of exercise. The past few days, my hamstrings...particularly my right one...have been really, really stiff. Today was my day for the aerobics class, and it downright hurt. It FINALLY loosened up after about 40 minutes.

I always stretch out before and after my walks but not as much as I should, I guess. So now I have these sore hamstrings and wondering if I should take a few days off...which I do NOT want to do...or keep stretching/walking and hoping they loosen up and get used to the activity?

Advice, please!!!

Veteran Moderator

Default Re: Sore Hamstring = NO EXERCISE?!?!?!

First off, you can never do too much stretching!! Classes don't give it enough time. Yoga is *excellent* for stretching out the whole body!

I think it's important to not push yourself if you're in pain. If you're able to walk without much pain, just take the pace down a bit and stop every few minutes to stretch things out. Take a hot bath and do more stretching. Stay away from high impact activities until it's better.

As much as it's hard to sit out on the sidelines when our bodies are injured, we have to be careful or else a slight injury can turn into a major one very quickly!!
    Kimberley

Retired Member PadreC's Avatar Inactive

I would cut the step and just walk for a few days to see if that helps the problem.
    SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs
    CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow
    Running Log

Retired Member Julia123's Avatar Inactive

I rested today and felt better...will try walking tomorrow. Thanks!!!