Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: 8 healthy guidelines

frenchculture Guest

Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

I put it in my oatmeal...can't taste it. That's a GOOD thing!

I record everything online on the WW site, and like to make the little smiley faces show up when I complete one of the 8 .

Question: would browning a chicken breast in a couple of tablespoons of oil count as the oil requirement?
    SW: 240
    WWGW: 120
    PGW: 115

I'm 5'0 on a good day.
    1st goal: 5%, or 228 (12 pounds)

I asked my WW leader if there were any changes to the healthy guidelines with the new PointsPlus program.

She said there was one -- that they now explicitly encourage you to watch and limit your sodium intake. It's in the guideline that talks about limiting alcohol and sugar and it now says to limit alcohol, sugar, and sodium.

Kos

Drink at least 6 glasses of water each day seem not very precise.Say 3 litre of water is easier to follow.

5. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Drinking more water is the best advice ever. There are many issue caused by insufficient intake of water.

I add my healthy oil (2 tsp of canola) into soup or smoothies but my favourite is drizzling it over smartpop popcorn
    ABBY

7. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Great tips! Here's a few that I follow:

ELIMINATE OR SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE RED MEAT
    CUT OUT FRIED FOODS
    START A MEAL WITH SOUP OR SALAD
    FINISH WITH FRUIT
    STICK TO MINERAL WATER

...and many more, but this is just a good start.

I have a carb addiction and it makes me ravenous so I have eliminated all grains, including corn, oats, rice. So I eat no bread, pasta, cereals, I also do not eat white potatoes. Since I have started this my cravings are zero and I am able to make great choices at meals and snacks. I am satisfied with a normal portion, I make sure I get in plenty of fat free or low fat dairy, healthy oils in my salad dressings, and at least half of my meals are veggies. I am fortunate that I love veggies and water so I get plenty of both in every day. I am limiting red meat to one serving 3 oz per week, and use Egg beaters to help control my cholesterol. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day and take a multi vitamin mineral supplement as well as additional D3. All meats are grilled or baked, all poultry is skinless breast meat. I make sandwiches with Cloud Bread made with just eggs and cottage cheese and I love them. I am doing what I can live with and not feel deprived or tempted by foods I cannot handle

9. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Thanks for sharing!

Great advice - Thanks

11. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Do not skip breakfast

12. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Great info!!

These are great tips!

14. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

I am learning too cook soups , much cheaper then processed soup , I make a lot of potatoe soup and chicken noodle and here is best tip freeze them into large muffin tins and throw them into gallon size freezer bag

Then I also make up my oatmeal and freeze in large muffin tins , they hold 1 cup of oatmeal and then I pop them out put them in gallon freezer bags

That way outs easy to pop into microwave for 3 1/2 minutes

Makes it easy to have on hand

15. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

nice info

I don't have a problem with fruits and veggie. My problem is preparing my meal, if I don't plan my meals I overeat on whatever is available.

Replies

Anything you can do to pre plan will be an immense help. I do a lot of cooking on my day off so there is always a meal I can heat up.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

18. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

I really needed to see this discussion. Looks like I have some work to do. Thanks all!

Replies

Glad to help. The healthy guidelines are good smart science. No matter how the program may change the guidelines will always be there.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Replies
    Blog Entries

I have made a list of my guidelines based on my own metabolic issues.
    My meals have to be Lean and Green.
    Breakfast is egg beaters and I can add any non-starchy veggies I want. Snacks are FF SF yogurts, raw veggies, fresh fruit. Lunch is salad with lean protein with fat free or low fat dressing. Dinner is lean protein 4-6 oz, baked or grilled, as much good veggies as I want. Some times more salad with dressing.
    I have issues with carbs so no bread, pasta, rice, white potatoes, grains, etc.
    I get fats from my fish oil and the oil in my salad dressing, plenty of fiber from all the veggies, and my lean protein is boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed pork, or fish. I allow beef once a week.

21. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

This is one area I am really working on, limit the carbs and sugar. I don't have the bloat when I don't have sugar, the carbs is the hardest part,but I have half the portion size, I use brown rice and when we have a potato I only have half. I am actively looking for recipes that use vegetables and lean meat. We are hunters and have wild turkey, no fat on those buggers, venison which also is lean and a variety of fish in which I bake in the oven, big step for me, my husband liked it fried, but he to needs to watch what he eats, so baking it is.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brendaa Jean View Post
    . I am actively looking for recipes that use vegetables and lean meat.
    Hi Brenda,
    I cook, drain and mash cauliflower and cook off the excess liquid then add pepper, salt, garlic, and low fat cheese to replace potatoes, Rutbagas the big yellow turnips are also a great sub for high carb side dishes. Don't be afraid to put 2 veggies on the plate instead of a veggie and a carb. I use shirtaki in place of pasta ( a bit to get used to the texture) it works as spaghetti and noodles in soups.
    one of my favorite go to meals is boneless skinless chicken breast covered in Rocky Mountain Seasoning from Penzey Spices, with a side of stir fry veggies. I know how he feels about fish needing to be fried, I was the same way but then I realized that what I really wanted was a crispy coating. I mix 1/2 c low fat crushed Ritz crackers with a 1/4 c fish fry seasoning; coat the fish. put a little peanut oil on the cookie sheet and put it in a 400 deg oven for 10 mins before putting the fish on, it sizzles, then turn it over halfway during cooking, I cook cod or haddock about 18-20 mins per piece.
    Last edited by ANNIE-G; 01-27-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    "If not now, when?"
    Restart Jan 3 2107
    Dec 5 , total loss 24.8 lbs!!!!
    WEIGHT WATCHERS ROCKS!!

23. Red face Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by plcm111195 View Post
    I posted this on the Newbies thread, but I thought it might go well here too.

Don't forget about the 8 healthy guidelines. IMO, they are just as important as the number of points you eat if not more so.

1. Eat at least 5 servings of vegetables and fruits each day.
    2. Choose whole-gran foods, such as brown rice and oats, whenever possible.
    3. Include 2 servings of milk products (low-fat or fat free) each day.
    4. Have some healthy oil (olive, canola, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed) each day. This habit ensures that you get the essential fatty acids and vit. E that your body needs. Use the oil on salads, in cooking, or as an ingredient in a mixed dish.
    5. Ensure that you are getting enough protein by choosing at least a serving or two of meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dried beans, or soy products each day. Many milk products are also good sources of protein.
    6. Limit added sugar and alcohol.
    7. Drink at least 6 glasses of water each day.
    8. Take a multiple vitamin-mineral supplement each day.
    This is one of the reasons I want to do WW: I need to eat more vegetables.

24. Default Tips for healthy eatings

Start eating well with these eight tips for healthy eating, which cover the basics of a healthy diet and good nutrition.For more healthy eating tips, visit this link:-

http://www.whatsinmypantry.net/

Thank you for this wonderful information!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast