Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 healthy guidelines

Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

i have been doing good i suppose with my 8 guidelines...minus the oils...i am concluding week 2 and haven't used any oils...i'll try to make it a point to get my 2 oil servings a day...as far as f & v...i normally incorporate veggies in meals...ie vegetable soup...i suppose that counts right...but for the most part i get atleast 1 milk serving and atleast 4 f & v per day...i use whole grains and brown rice so i guess i'm doin better than i thought i was...i do sneak chips in every now and again as for multi-vitamins...i take 1 flintstone chewable a day...the doctor says its actually perfectly good for adults...their easy and tasty...except for the orange ones...i don't like the orange ones

Here's an excellent post with great ideas for getting your oils in:
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne
    Healthy oils are: olive oil, canola, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed. Here are some suggestions on how to get in the requirement of 2 tsp each day.

1) Cook with it, Alot of recipes start off with oil in the skillet
    2) Mix up a marinade for meats and/or veggies
    3) Mix it with meat sauces, or most sauces
    4) Sautee with it.
    5) Drizzle over pasta
    6) Drizzle over popcorn
    7) Drizzle over veggies
    8) Drizzle over pizza
    9) Drizzle over corn on the cob
    10) Drizzle some over fat free cheese(it helps melt better)
    11) Mix up some salad dressing (like olive oil and balsamic vinegar)
    12) Rub it on poultry or fish before baking it
    13) Rub it on meats for the spices and/or rubs have something to stick to
    14) Rub some on a baked potato
    15) Grill sandwiches
    16) Stry Fry veggies
    17) Coat some homemade baked fries
    18) Makes garlic toast, (oil and garlic on bread toast)
    19) Add some to soups
    20) Add some to smoothies
    21) Mix 2 tsps olive oil to fat-free salad dressing
    22) Add to anything that is fat-free. instead of the fat, you're replacing it with healthy oils
    23) Roast veggies with oil
    24) Mix conola oil to oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies, soups
    25) put some in salsa
    26) If you eat frozen dinners, drizzle some over it.
    27) make some Herb or Spice Infused Oil, (for dipping or cooking)
    28) Mix in some Butter Buds or Molly McButter, You'll have butter flavored oils.
    29) mix some in the new PB2 peanut butter flour that alot are trying. (you're replacing the fat with healthy oils)
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

3. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

does anyone know what one yoplait custard style yogurt would be for milk servings?
    thanks
    shari

For any yogurt, if it's 4 oz it's half a serving, if it's 6 oz it's 3/4 serving, 8oz is a full serving.
    Joanne

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by want2Baloser View Post
    I take a Cod Liver Oil capsule each day is that enough oil per day?
    No, it's not. First of all, cod liver oil isn't one of the healthy oils, second the oil has to be in pourable (not capsule) form.

Having trouble getting in all your healthy oils? Here's some idea's. You only need to eat 2 tsp of oil per day. (1 teaspoon is a serving), So you can get it in throughout the day. Healthy oils are: olive oil, canola, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed. FYI: Fish oils, Oil capsules, Avocados, peanut butter, nuts, etc, do NOT count towards WW healthy oils requirements. Only the pourable kind count.

4) Sautee with it.
    5) Drizzle over pasta
    6) Drizzle over popcorn
    7) Drizzle over veggies
    8) Drizzle over pizza
    15) Grill sandwiches
    16) Stir Fry veggies
    19) Add some to soups
    22) Add to anything that is fat-free. instead of the fat, you're replacing it with healthy oils
    24) Mix canola oil to oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies, soups
    25) put some in salsa
    28) Mix in some Butter Buds or Molly McButter, you'll have butter flavored oils.
    29) mix some in the new PB2 peanut butter flour that alot are trying. (you're replacing the fat with healthy oils)
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Replies

More info about oil.

Despite all the concern about healthy oils in our diet, the body does require healthy oils to function. The problem is that most people are getting the wrong kinds of fats/oils in their diet and are lacking the good healthy oils.(especially people on diets and eating low fat foods).

Besides being an energy source, healthy oils are nutrients used in the production of cell membranes, as well as in several hormone-like compounds called eicosanoids. These compounds help regulate blood pressure, heart rate, blood vessel constriction, blood clotting and the nervous system.

In addition, healthy oils helps carry the nutrients from your food into your body. Oils also helps maintain healthy hair and skin, protects vital organs, keeps your body insulated, and provides a sense of fullness after meals.

The human body cannot function properly without healthy oils are truly to normal cell structure and body function.

Fish oil (Omega-3's)
    NOTE:: Fish oil is good for you and has alot of good benefits. (Omega-3's) But Fish oil capsules do not count as part of your daily oils per Weight Watchers.
    The America Heart Org. Says the best way to get in Omaga-3s is from tofu, canola oils flaxseed oil and other oils.
    The also say since fish oils are not FDA approved, some have high levels of mercury. That people should be reading the labels and learn about different types of fish oils supplements.
    ( http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4632 )

Bottom line: Would you run your car with out oil? The human body is a fine tuned machine, and healthy oils helps keep it running good.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

If I add oil to my pasta water for boiling is that going to be adequate? Or should I add the oil after I'm done boiling the pasta. Getting all my oils in each day is like pulling teeth b/c I do most my eating at work and it isn't exactly convenient to bring a tsp of oil along to add to my yogurt...

And it looks like I might be lacking in dairy too. I didn't realize 4oz yogurt was only a half serving

8. Smile Re: 8 healthy guidelines

You should add the oil to your pasta after it's cooked - otherwise, a lot of it will be lost in the cooking water.

I have found that I am so much better satisfied, and less likely to "get the munchies" if I get in my oil and dairy. I hate using points for those things, but I find it really pays off!
    Rose

HW:175
    WW Goal: 136
    Below WW Goal since Dec. 2006
    Personal Goal: 118-123
    CW: 120.0 (11/18/08)
    BMI: 21.8

"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
    Wayne Dyer

I hate using points for those things, but I find it really pays off!
    This is one of the biggest reasons I do core!! No counting points for the stuff you have to have!! It's sooo much easier to get in your healthy 8!!
    RainyBabie

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo!

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

I here you on that one rainybabie, when I am on flex I am really bad at getting in my milks and oils but on Core I always get them!

Carmen
    Success is not a race, be patient.

SlimMamaSoon Guest

I came across this thread today and am inspired. I'm not losing like I'd like but I confess I do not do the oils and the dairy. I can't really drink milk but i can do yogurt.

The oils? It's mostly because I don't cook much lol. I'll try to get it in this week and see what happens.

What would be a good substitute for the dairy? I'm lactose intolerant. Would soy milk and soy cheese be acceptable?

13. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by RainyBabie View Post
    This is one of the biggest reasons I do core!! No counting points for the stuff you have to have!! It's sooo much easier to get in your healthy 8!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    No, it's not. First of all, cod liver oil isn't one of the healthy oils, second the oil has to be in pourable (not capsule) form.

Having trouble getting in all your healthy oils? Here's some idea's. You only need to eat 2 tsp of oil per day. (1 teaspoon is a serving), So you can get it in throughout the day. Healthy oils are: olive oil, canola, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed. FYI: Fish oils, Oil capsules, Avocados, peanut butter, nuts, etc, do NOT count towards WW healthy oils requirements. Only the pourable kind count.

4) Sautee with it.
    5) Drizzle over pasta
    6) Drizzle over popcorn
    7) Drizzle over veggies
    8) Drizzle over pizza
    15) Grill sandwiches
    16) Stir Fry veggies
    19) Add some to soups
    24) Mix canola oil to oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies, soups
    25) put some in salsa
    28) Mix in some Butter Buds or Molly McButter, you'll have butter flavored oils.

Very good information. Thank you for sharing

mom2twingems Guest

Now with the new momentum program, its now the 9 healthy guideline with exercise being a new added component.

Stephanie - Thank you! I was reading the whole post and was going to post the same thing when I got to the end.
    Never give up or look back,

Mickee

HW: 238
    WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

starbrite Guest

I find vegetable oil suits me better than the others, i don't get an upset stomach. Does this count as a healthy eight?
    Is one tsp= 1 serving?

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by starbrite View Post
    I find vegetable oil suits me better than the others, i don't get an upset stomach. Does this count as a healthy eight?
    Is one tsp= 1 serving?
    No, sorry vegetable oil is not on the list. It's spelled out pretty clearly in the program materials. The oils are: olive, canola, safflower, sunflower and flaxseed. But yes, one teaspoon = one serving.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

18. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Oil goes rancid after a while. Is your oil expired? Get some good quality olive oil (it's not cheap) maybe that will help. You don't have to just pour it on food either -- it can be part of the recipe. Sautee' a chicken breast in it. Make a vinaigrette in the blender, etc.
    FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

Replies

All the healthy oils (olive, canola, safflower, sunflower and flaxseed) are vegetable oils. What you buy as "vegetable oil" in the store is usually a blend of oils. It will likely contain some oils which are not the healthy oils, so you're better to choose from the WW list.

Canola is considered "heart-healthy". Many people prefer it over olive oil for all-purpose use because it does not have a strong a taste. Or just try a few different WW oils and if you don't like one just try another. They're not expensive.
    "Hunger is the best sauce"
    my Mom

Replies

I have a OIL question.

My olive oil bottle states that 1 TBS is 120 calories & 120 fat.
    Divide that by 3 to make a teaspoon. That makes the oil 4 points & I believe the recommended amount is 2 teaspoons a day. That's 8 points of just oil. Then milk is 2 cups is a total of 4 points. That is 12 points of just oil & milk. That just leaves me 16 points for other food. I must be figuring something wrong. As the weight goes down so do the allowed points but the oil & milk points stay the same. That would make it hard to get enough food to satisfy you (me at least) I find it rough having 28 points.

Quote Originally Posted by darinesto View Post
    I have a OIL question.

My olive oil bottle states that 1 TBS is 120 calories & 120 fat.
    Divide that by 3 to make a teaspoon. That makes the oil 4 points & I believe the recommended amount is 2 teaspoons a day. That's 8 points of just oil. Then milk is 2 cups is a total of 4 points. That is 12 points of just oil & milk. That just leaves me 16 points for other food. I must be figuring something wrong. As the weight goes down so do the allowed points but the oil & milk points stay the same. That would make it hard to get enough food to satisfy you (me at least) I find it rough having 28 points.
    1 TEASPOON of oil is 40 calories and 1 point. The good health guideline is for 2 TEASPOONS not TABLESPOONS, so you've got 2 points for oil and 4 points for milk, though with WW smoothies made with 1 cup milk you can get 2 milks for 3 points
    Joanne

Replies

Talking Re: 8 healthy guidelines

I see my problem.. I was putting in 40 grams of fat(calories) instead of 14 grams. It still comes to 2 points or 4 for 2 teaspoons. What do U put in to get 1 point per teaspoon. Does olive oil have more fat grams? I think fat is fat. 2 points is better than 4 but I like 1 even better.
    Thanks for the answer,
    Dar

I think you may be confusing grams of fat (which is what we count) with calories from fat. 1 teaspoon of olive oil has 40 calories and 4.5 grams of fat (40 calories from fat) which is 1 point.
    Joanne

hey great post! this is worth reading actually... anyway, i do have a question... is mashed potato makes a good snacks? i want to know if this is healthy i'm having this as my snacks everyday. thanks to any advice.

WANNALOOZIT Guest

So, do some of you mix the oil with your milk in the mornings for breakfast? If so, can you taste the oil? Or does the milk dilute it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast