Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 healthy guidelines

Default 8 healthy guidelines

I posted this on the Newbies thread, but I thought it might go well here too.

Don't forget about the 8 healthy guidelines. IMO, they are just as important as the number of points you eat if not more so.

1. Eat at least 5 servings of vegetables and fruits each day.
    2. Choose whole-gran foods, such as brown rice and oats, whenever possible.
    3. Include 2 servings of milk products (low-fat or fat free) each day.
    4. Have some healthy oil (olive, canola, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed) each day. This habit ensures that you get the essential fatty acids and vit. E that your body needs. Use the oil on salads, in cooking, or as an ingredient in a mixed dish.
    5. Ensure that you are getting enough protein by choosing at least a serving or two of meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dried beans, or soy products each day. Many milk products are also good sources of protein.
    6. Limit added sugar and alcohol.
    7. Drink at least 6 glasses of water each day.
    8. Take a multiple vitamin-mineral supplement each day.
    Last edited by plcm111195; 03-21-2006 at 11:46 AM.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

ariellasdaddy Guest

Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

This is great information, and I wish it were publicized more, because people have the misconception that on WW, you can eat potato chips all day, and it's fine as long as you stay within your points. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's a myth, and the 8 guidelines are essential for doing it right. Thanks again!

I think you guys are right. I just started WW on Aug. 1st. The first few days I didn't drink any water because I hate it! Plus I wasn't having the oil at all. I was following the other guidelines.

My the 2nd or 3rd day I realized I'm starving because I'm not drinking water, so I started to do so. I lost 0 lbs the first week.

My 2nd week I read a post here somewhere about the oil and that it can effect you losing weight. I have since added the oil everyday and today I'm done 3 lbs.

So, it shows how important those guidelines are. You can't pick and choose which guidelines to follow to have success.
    :dog: Anita/Yoda258

WI Sunday

SW (Aug. 1, 2005) 166

CW 161
    GW 127

-5 lbs.

Bumping to the top.
    Joanne

crdnckgrl Guest

Arrow Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Question for you on the water. How many ounces of water per glass?

the recommendation is for a minimum of six 8 ounce glasses of water per day.
    Joanne

KatVonD Guest

Thanks for posting that - My goal this week is to focus more on following the healthy 8. I kind of got a little wrapped up in just thinking about points and not making the best choices! Suuuure I can have those french fries with my lunch because I have the points....but I SHOULD have the salad!

Thanks!

jefrado22 Guest

I've seen a lot of folks post menus that don't get in 2 (or 3) dairy, too. It can be especially challenging for the folks who hate milk and nf cheese. I ususally have at least 1 yogurt.

Good thread. Most WW leaders don't seem to stress this enough IMHO.

crazymamato4 Guest

Thanks for posting this. I got the at home kit and I dont even recall reading about the healhty 8. So im glad I know excatly what they are, I figured most of them but its good to know.

I have a hard time getting in my 5 fruits and veggies everyday. I dont like many vegtables, but love fruit.. I know its something I need to work on.
    And I can always get in my dairy once per day but stuggle to get 2 servings in.
    Something I have to work harder at.

I am working hard on reaching these 8 guidelines everyday, but I am trying really hard. I know I have read somewhere about what counts toward milk servings, but I can't find it. How much is 1 cup of plain ff yogurt counted towards your milk intake?

Quote Originally Posted by newone
    I am working hard on reaching these 8 guidelines everyday, but I am trying really hard. I know I have read somewhere about what counts toward milk servings, but I can't find it. How much is 1 cup of plain ff yogurt counted towards your milk intake?

From WW TurnAround, Getting Started, Page 38

Including two servings of milk products a day (or three if you are over 50 or a teenager) supplies the body with protein, zinc, riboflavin, vitamin D - and yes, calcium. This essential mineral helps strengthen bones and may protect against colon cancer and high blood pressure. See the chart below for foods that provide a serving of milk products. Emerging science suggests that milk products may even give weight loss a boost.

Quick Tips: If digesting lactose is a problem for you, look for dairy products that are labeled lactos-free or lactose-reduced, or consider using lactose-reducing pills.

Milk Products: What provides a serving?

Cappucino unsweetened, made with aft-free, low-fat, or whole milk, 16 fl. oz.
    Cottage cheese, fat free, 1%, 2%, or regular, 2 cups
    Cheese, hard or semi-soft, any type, fat-free, low-fat, or regular, 1-1/2 oz.
    Dairy shake, reduced-calorie, 1 packet
    Latte, unsweetened, made with fat-free, low-fat, or whole milk, 12 fl. oz.
    Pudding, fat-free. sugar-free mix (made with fat-free milk) 1 cup
    Yogurt, plain, flavored, fat-free, low-fat, or regular, 1 cup
    Weight Watchers Smoothie, made with fat-free milk, 1 serving
    Milk, any type, 1 cup

Also 1/3 c. nonfat dry milk (powdered milk) = 1 cup milk = 1 dairy serving
    Joanne

sunshinelovehope Guest

My sister isn't a big milk drinker so she makes Tomato soup with milk instead of water to help get in her dairy

Thank you plcm.

I've been dabbling back and forth with WW for several months and this time I'm making a concious effort to get my Daily 8; before I didn't pay too much attention to it.

I'm finding that I'm making much better food choices now, and seem to feel better/more satisfied. It's still a struggle to get my water intake because I often don't have time to go to the bathroom consistently at work and if I drink too much at home I don't get any sleep! But I'm working on it...that's my "weekend goal" this weekend...to get at least 8 glasses of water in daily!
    "Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

Since I seem to fall behind on eating my veggies and fruit. Does anyone know if I can count juicing as servings?
    Liz
    Joined W/W's 8-3-06 SW 169 pds.
    CW 149.4 pds.
    GW 145 pds.
    10% Target met 1-4-07

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q52/njoriginalgirl/

I can't fail as long as I'm still trying - WW Leader

According to the USDA Food Pyramid juices do count but they can be higher in points and might not fill you up as much as the actual F&V

Fruit Servings
    For most adults, the USDA Guidelines recommend eating 2 cups (4 servings) of fruit a day. One serving of fruit is equal to:
    1/2 cup cut-up raw or cooked fruits
    1 medium sized apple, orange, pear, banana or kiwi fruit
    1/2 cup fruit juice
    1/4 cup dried fruit

What foods are in the fruit group?
    Any fruit or 100% fruit juice counts as part of the fruit group. Fruits may be fresh, canned, frozen, or dried, and may be whole, cut-up, or pureed.

Vegetable Servings
    For most adults, the USDA Guidelines recommend eating 2 cups (5 servings) of vegetables each day.
    Eating 5 servings of vegetables daily is not as daunting as it seems. One serving of vegetables is equal to:
    1/2 cup cut-up raw or cooked vegetables or legumes
    1 medium sized carrot
    1/2 cup vegetable juice
    1 cup raw leafy salad greens

What foods are in the vegetable group?
    Any vegetable or 100% vegetable juice counts as a member of the vegetable group. Vegetables may be raw or cooked; fresh, frozen, canned, or dried/dehydrated; and may be whole, cut-up, or mashed.
    Joanne

Thank you for posting that Joanne!
    Liz
    Joined W/W's 8-3-06 SW 169 pds.
    CW 149.4 pds.
    GW 145 pds.
    10% Target met 1-4-07

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q52/njoriginalgirl/

I can't fail as long as I'm still trying - WW Leader

rebeckalyn79 Guest

I have a question about the oils. Is there any way to get -low point- oils in your diet??? I know I use an extra virgin olive oil spray that is 0 calories and 0 fat, does this count and how much?

I aslo didnt see this on in my @ home pack either! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rebeckalyn79
    I have a question about the oils. Is there any way to get -low point- oils in your diet??? I know I use an extra virgin olive oil spray that is 0 calories and 0 fat, does this count and how much?

I aslo didnt see this on in my @ home pack either! Thanks!!!
    No, the requirement is for 2 teaspoons of one of the 5 healthy oils listed. It's 2 points well spent. Our bodies need some fat to lose weight. I know it's hard to give up those points sometimes but when I finally accepted it I not only lost better, I was more satisfied and felt better too.

I think I read somewhere that it takes a 7 second spray of pam olive oil to equal a teaspoon of oil but then you still have the fat and calories and 1 point that you would if used a teaspoon of liquid oil.
    Joanne

Replies

Sorry if this is a completely boneheaded question, but the 5 servings of fruits and vegetables - is that supposed to be 5 of each per day? Or 5 total divided among the two? 5 of each per day seems high, but 5 total divided between the two isn't a lot compared to what the www.mypyramid.gov site recommends (of course it's based on a 2000 calorie diet, which would be way too many calories for me). I've been doing horribly at this part of the healthy 8's and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
    g i n a
    s w 171.5 ~ c w 171.5 ~ g w 110

The 5 per day for WW is a combination of F&V and the serving size is only 1/2 cup for most F&V other than green leafy veggies which is 1 cup. The food pyramid link gives you the serving sizes and what counts as a serving.
    Joanne

Replies

Thanks so much, Joanne! You rock!
    g i n a
    s w 171.5 ~ c w 171.5 ~ g w 110

Replies

In my attempts to re-motivate, I made bookmark size list of the healthy guidelines to keep on my fridge and check off daily...I tend to be visual, so it is helpful to have a constant reminder.

I know from past experience, when I follow the guidelines, I lose more weight. I, too, wish there were more emphasis placed on them.

Replies

Red face Re: 8 healthy guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by plcm111195
    8. Take a multiple vitamin-mineral supplement each day.
    Is it really necessary to take a multivitamin every day . I eat lots of fruits and veggies get my servings of milks products and get my meat in ?
    Last edited by Annie; 08-25-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: beginning was not necessary to the understanding of my question.

25. Default Re: 8 healthy guidelines

I take a Cod Liver Oil capsule each day is that enough oil per day?

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast