Thread: Green Tea and weight loss??

Default Green Tea and weight loss??

Okay so i've kinda heard some rumours about green tea and keeping weight down....does anyone know anything about this?

Vicki
    Keep going, keep pushing, the reward is greater than struggle.
    SW:177
    CW: 171
    first GW - 155
    UGW : 143-148

Replies

Default Re: Green Tea and weight loss??

I believe there is a thread in the "Super Healthy" forum that talks about just this! I have heard Green Tea is awesome for so many things. I'm slowly learning to like it.
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

Replies

I have tried green tea and I do like it ...but I did not see where it helped with MY weight loss.
    Denise
    HW 249
    SW 222
    CW 213
    GW 145
    I simply refuse to give up

judyo53 Guest

I know there are weight loss teas out there that have some herbal stuff in them (diuretics, I think) & green tea has been promoted as a very healthy item, as kanslaura mentioned. But actual weight loss from drinking it is a little too much for me to believe. I've drank it, too, for a while (bought a big box of green tea bags) & never noticed anything special. I believe it's definitely a good thing but not a magic bullet.

Also, the tea is better for you than the pills. I have read studies about the pills and they haven't been able to come to any really solid conclusions about the weight loss.

But green tea is really really good for you even if it doesn't make you lose weight. It prevents DNA damage, which may eventually prevent against certain types of cancer. My husband drinks 2 cups a day. I have tried it but I really don't like the taste.
    Christena
    SW: 193
    CW: 193
    GW: 130

PurpleGemini Guest

I don't know if it helps weight loss , but I love green tea !
    I usually drink 1/2 liter of pepermint/green tea with my breakfast .

Fiona

wannabeeskinny Guest

i dont know about with weight loss, but i know it helps with trying to concive.

ashleylynnlynn Guest

Smile Re: Green Tea and weight loss??

HI

I love green tea, especially when I'm sick. BUt I drink it all the time. I brew about a quart of it (decaf of course) and then drink it chilled like iced tea in little sippy bottles on the way to and from class.

I've also heard that there is something in green tea that stimulates the metabolism. I drink it to keep my body healthy. If it's helping my weight loss, then AMEN!

YAY.
    Have an OP day!
    ~A~

p.s... I also enjoy sugar free koolaid.... just while we're talking about drinks. Yummy.

Arrow Re: Green Tea and weight loss??

I'm not sure about the weight loss thing, but have started to drink green tea for the taste. My DIL drinks it all the time, and I had some at her house and enjoyed the taste. I have been drinking only decaf teas for just over a year now. Really miss my (real) coffee, but it does bad things to my heart and blood pressure. Like stimulate them and Dr. says that's a big no no. i always enjoyed a cuppa at night, but now have completely switched and am trying all kinds just to try the different tastes.
    My very favorite is Twinnings Irish Breakfast Tea, of course decaf. but DD drinks the regular and enjoys either.
    I too heard about green tea and weight loss, but can't buy into it, just drink it for the taste. haha
    Angelhugs

started WW Oct. 7, 2004
    Dec. 8, 2004 10% and counting
    Dec. 22, 2004 25 pounds gone
    March 30, 2005 41. 2 lbs gone-- 2nd 10%

Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.
    Carol Burnett

Can you pass along some more info about green tea being helpful when trying to conceive? Thanks for the info! Leiann

11. Default Re: Green Tea and weight loss??

My mom drinks green tea every night and it hasn't done much when it comes to weight loss for her.

Replies

It's not so much that you will have a dramatic weight loss just by drinking tea. But green tea is an actual fat-burner. Not like a pill but on a more consistant and "deeper" level. I think, in addition to WW and exercise, it might help boost the metabolism over the long term and just help keep the fat burning fire stoked.
    Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217
    CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Replies

Might sound dumb as I've never really got myself into trying out Green Tea yet as I'm mostly a coffee drinker....

Just wondering is there various tastes to Green Tea? Or is Green Tea in general a specific taste on its own?

Thanks in advance

I posted about a million years ago (OK, maybe a decade) that when I was having a long, frustrating afternoon, instead of turning to leftovers from the stuff my co-workers were always bringing in for "breakfast," I would brew a cup of HOT tea, black or green, and sip it slowly. By the time I finished the cup, my cravings were gone. I can't recommend hot tea highly enough.

I actually came by to see if there were any changes to the 2016 program but couldn't resist replying in this thread. I'll search again later.

And I see I need to update my signature. I'm below that weight. Still not at goal, but getting there.
    Jean in Colorado
    SW 176
    CW 170
    WW goal 135.0
    GW 122
    The future depends on what we do in the present.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I don't know if it helps my weigh loss, but I love having two cups of tea a day. I brew a cup of peppermint tea and a cup of green tea on my tassimo and mix them together with a bit of sweetener. I find green tea on it's own a bit too "grassy" for my liking, but its eonerful with the peppermint.

Replies

I too am a coffee drinker, but since we all are tanking-up on water as part of our WW journey I might as well have a little something in it that might in some small part help me along on this quest. Nothing I have read has ever suggested it is bad, and lots of credible stories of a variety of benefits from it. I bought a box at Kroger the other day. Not bad at all.

17. Default Re: Green Tea and weight loss??

Yes, it is true. Green tea has many other benefits other than promoting weight loss. It contains huge amount of antioxidants which is supposed to reduce the aging process.

Replies

I do drink green tea some times. I really don't think it does anything for weight loss, other than helps fill you up so you don't overeat.

Weight loss is basically just eating less calories.

One of my WW. buddies mixes camomile(sp?_, peppermint and ginger tea together and drinks a pot of it every day.

Ashlee
    Eat to feed your body, not to feed your emotions.

Replies

Agree with Ashlee. Smart comments. If green tea worked for weight loss. None of us would be here. I do drink it for supposed health benefits and use it in place of snacking.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Replies

Peg - Glad you agree with me. It's like all those "diet centre places". If their programs worked so well and performed miracles, there would be no need to have a bunch of weight loss places - lol. Tea does help me with snacking that is for sure.

Ashlee
    Eat to feed your body, not to feed your emotions.

21. Default Re: Green Tea and weight loss??

Sounds like green tea has a lot of good things going on to help us. I just can't develop a liking for the taste of it.

Replies

Me too but I choke it down. Lol.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

23. Default Re: Green Tea and weight loss??

Quote Originally Posted by Peg541 View Post
    Me too but I choke it down. Lol.
    For me the tea is definitely an acquired test lol
    Sound like I have to get it a try though.